Advice for a beginner? Best supps/protien.

Finco

Awards
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum and completely new to the body building community.

Basically, I'm 19 and I haven't been to the gym in around 2 years now I used to do a decent about of cardio work at the gym, never really focused on building muscle strength so I've a fairly slim build, I don't have a large amount of fat on my body and my BMI is fairly low, would this help muscle definition or hinder building muscles? I used to do a decent amount of cycling and swimming, but like I said I haven't been doing very much what-so-ever for the past 2 years really. BUT I'm looking to get back into the game and this time focus primarily on building my upper body strength.

I've studied a lot of sport in the past so I have a good understanding of training programs and sports nutrition but when it comes to supplement and protein blah blah blah I don't really know that much, so I'm looking for a little advice.

What's best for beginning to build up on muscle size and definition? I'm currently taking toco 8, for hair and health benefits, and I intend to use protein shakes but I don't know a great deal about them.

Thanks guys.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
No training involved? Why haven't I tried this yet.
:boggled:

Stay around 8-12 reps, do 3-5 sets. Remember to do your squats, deads, & bench. Eat a lot, sleep a lot.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sleeping and eating right are the top things to really help you out as a beginner. Supplement-wise I would go with a protein isolate for starters. Muscle Gauge Nutrition makes some great flavors. You will receive 25%off your entire order with the coupon below

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hm...so a youngster asking for advice on supps and protein...how new...when all you need is:

-Food , I don't give a crap about any excuses , either someone gets their DIET IN CHECK or nothing they ever take , however workout , miracle program or miracle pill they take will work...NEVER!!
-Proper Training , don't just half ass it at the gym , if you do not know what hypertrophy and hyperplastia mean , or the kinds of training venues , for cutting , for strength , for size , etc...Then simply HUMBLE UP and stick to a BEGINNERS PROGRAM , 5x5 , 5/3/1 , meat and potatoes , starting strength and put everything into it , plan ahead , try and fail , try and succeed , learn , do spend a good amount of time mastering proper form and remember its a MARATHON not a sprint, and definitely not one that can be won or finished with "I want upper body strength" mentality , your body is a whole machine , you have to train UPPER and LOWER , both , need to build muscle on both to be able to develop any muscle at all properly. Takes years to get a good physique , period.
-Sleep , A LOT , if you do not rest , do not expect your body to give you that extra rep you want from it if you do not give it that extra hour of sleep instead of staying up late.
-STOP USING , ASKING OR LOOKING FOR SUPPLEMENTS , they are non-essential , NO ONE needs them at this stage , even in more advanced stages , and they merely pose the usual psychological crutch teenagers look for...There is no magic pill , no "easy way" no "express way" and no "short cuts"...the best and most effective way is to supplement your body with WHOLE FOODS!!! This all comes back to a PROPER F*CKING DIET , period. No "toco-8" no "shake" is gonna get you there, motivation , dedication and being humble to learn and accept its a LONG WAY TO GO.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
No training involved? Why haven't I tried this yet.
Oh and don't get ****y on people who are going off their ways to give yah advice bro...specially when gregg went the extra mile by telling you you should use creatine (doubt it would even do you much good anyway)

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum and completely new to the body building community.

Basically, I'm 19 and I haven't been to the gym in around 2 years now I used to do a decent about of cardio work at the gym, never really focused on building muscle strength so I've a fairly slim build, I don't have a large amount of fat on my body and my BMI is fairly low, would this help muscle definition or hinder building muscles? I used to do a decent amount of cycling and swimming, but like I said I haven't been doing very much what-so-ever for the past 2 years really. BUT I'm looking to get back into the game and this time focus primarily on building my upper body strength.

I've studied a lot of sport in the past so I have a good understanding of training programs and sports nutrition but when it comes to supplement and protein blah blah blah I don't really know that much, so I'm looking for a little advice.

What's best for beginning to build up on muscle size and definition? I'm currently taking toco 8, for hair and health benefits, and I intend to use protein shakes but I don't know a great deal about them.

Thanks guys.
Personally, I love a pre-workout and experimenting with various supps to see what they add in ADDITION to my diet/exercise plan.

So, I would suggest this.

3,500 calories a day.

Break down of at least 225g protein a day, 120g fats a day and fill in the rest w/ carbs.

You're going to have to eat to grow, and you will need to track it for the first 2-3 weeks so you have an estimate of how much food 3.5k cals really is. It's a lot, and most people think they eat alot when they really don't.

Now for supplements:

Basics:
Creatine- I personally loved SNS MCC(Magnesium Chelated Creatine) as the Magnesium helps w/ sleep if you take the dose pre-bed which I suggest. However, I also love good ole' Mono Creatine. SNS Mono is cheap, and readily available. Dose @5g daily for first six weeks, and then you can just dose 3g on workout days as you'll be saturated.

Fish Oil- Fish Oil is great for overall health. SAN Fish Fats, Controlled Labs Oximega are good choices. Try to get 1-2g EPA/DHA in daily.

Multivitamin- I love my Orange Triad, but to start off I'd just get Life Force by Source Naturals. It's a cheap, quality multi-vitamin.

Pre-workout: I would honestly say to keep it simple, I don't know what you've used before but I always liked 200mg Caffeine (SNS brand of coruse)+25mg 1,3 (SNS Adrena-G). I also love Focus XT by SNS, but I do endorse Neurocore by MT, Fierce/Launch by SAN and Craze by Driven Sports.

That's what I would do for the first 8-weeks. After that if you want to go crazy and try something new go for SNS DAA+L-Dopa for 50 days.

150g SNS DAA tub. Dose @ 3g every day for 50 days.

Have fun man, it's the start of a good addiction to healthy living.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Sleeping and eating right are the top things to really help you out as a beginner. Supplement-wise I would go with a protein isolate for starters. Muscle Gauge Nutrition makes some great flavors. You will receive 25%off your entire order with the coupon below
Not to be rude, but considering past history with what I will just leave at as 'sandy' w/ MGN protein. I have a hard time advocating for this individual to purchase MGN... I just don't find that the QC (Quality Control) is sufficient based on past issues. However, I don't want to de-rail this thread so we can talk via PMs if you so wish.

Finco

Awards
Oh and don't get ****y on people who are going off their ways to give yah advice bro...specially when gregg went the extra mile by telling you you should use creatine (doubt it would even do you much good anyway)
Calm down pettle, that was a light hearted joke.

Thanks for the advice though man, I completely understand the assumption your making but its the wrong one and I apologise if I've come across as looking for a 'short-cut' for a good body that's not the case. Yeh, I've a decent diet as it is, as stated I'm used to training programs and sports nutrition from past programs.

Personally, I love a pre-workout and experimenting with various supps to see what they add in ADDITION to my diet/exercise plan.

So, I would suggest this.

3,500 calories a day.

Break down of at least 225g protein a day, 120g fats a day and fill in the rest w/ carbs.

You're going to have to eat to grow, and you will need to track it for the first 2-3 weeks so you have an estimate of how much food 3.5k cals really is. It's a lot, and most people think they eat alot when they really don't.

Now for supplements:

Basics:
Creatine- I personally loved SNS MCC(Magnesium Chelated Creatine) as the Magnesium helps w/ sleep if you take the dose pre-bed which I suggest. However, I also love good ole' Mono Creatine. SNS Mono is cheap, and readily available. Dose @5g daily for first six weeks, and then you can just dose 3g on workout days as you'll be saturated.

Fish Oil- Fish Oil is great for overall health. SAN Fish Fats, Controlled Labs Oximega are good choices. Try to get 1-2g EPA/DHA in daily.

Multivitamin- I love my Orange Triad, but to start off I'd just get Life Force by Source Naturals. It's a cheap, quality multi-vitamin.

Pre-workout: I would honestly say to keep it simple, I don't know what you've used before but I always liked 200mg Caffeine (SNS brand of coruse)+25mg 1,3 (SNS Adrena-G). I also love Focus XT by SNS, but I do endorse Neurocore by MT, Fierce/Launch by SAN and Craze by Driven Sports.

That's what I would do for the first 8-weeks. After that if you want to go crazy and try something new go for SNS DAA+L-Dopa for 50 days.

150g SNS DAA tub. Dose @ 3g every day for 50 days.

Have fun man, it's the start of a good addiction to healthy living.
Cheers man that's some good advice, think I'm just going to start out with protein and build things up from there. Hopefully I can get as addicted as you guys.

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
if you absolutely need supps, creatine and protein are the only ones that should even be an option. im new here also, but have been lifting for about three years. dont get all snoopy and browse around looking for ph's just cause the informations here, ive seen a few guys totally regret delving into the deep end. a mass gainer would be cool too if u cant eat consistently and youre on the run alot, ive used up your mass and its ok, just kinda sucks mixing with water, and somewhat chalky. good luck to ya man

Finco

Awards
if you absolutely need supps, creatine and protein are the only ones that should even be an option. im new here also, but have been lifting for about three years. dont get all snoopy and browse around looking for ph's just cause the informations here, ive seen a few guys totally regret delving into the deep end. a mass gainer would be cool too if u cant eat consistently and youre on the run alot, ive used up your mass and its ok, just kinda sucks mixing with water, and somewhat chalky. good luck to ya man
Yeh man cool cheers, from what I've read hear I think I'm just going stick to the protien maybe add in creatine once he ball really gets rolling and things start to progress. I dont know a lot about mass gainers though man, can anyone give me an insight?

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
mass gainers are just extra calories and carbs and protein. its really just a convenience thing more thn necessity, but if youre a hardgainer like me, they help on top of your diet. up your mass is pretty cheap too, order online though gncs got it but its a rip

Finco

Awards
mass gainers are just extra calories and carbs and protein. its really just a convenience thing more thn necessity, but if youre a hardgainer like me, they help on top of your diet. up your mass is pretty cheap too, order online though gncs got it but its a rip
Yeh nice one cheers, think I'll leave mass gainers for the time being.

How many times do you tend to work out a week? What's your regime like you do a lot or cardio along side muscular training? Before I used to do 30 mins cardio every session as a staple, don't know wether to carry this on or reduce it as I don't have a great deal of fat to burn anyway.

BigVida

BigVida

Banned
Awards
i do no cardio other than swimming, but thats about to change because im gonna sart doing mma tournaments locally again in a few months. i lift heavy every day i lift, which is usually five days a week. if youre young and just starting, id say u can workout 6 times a week, 2 or three times each muscle group, and jump up pretty quick. do u drink alcohol or anything that might hinder your gains?

f1ghter33

Awards
i am using ninja for pre work supps... and maintain my food chart regularly ..

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
i am using ninja for pre work supps... and maintain my food chart regularly ..
I have seen way to many trolls mentioning the ninja thing in the past days...any idea what all this is about people?

Finco

Awards
i do no cardio other than swimming, but thats about to change because im gonna sart doing mma tournaments locally again in a few months. i lift heavy every day i lift, which is usually five days a week. if youre young and just starting, id say u can workout 6 times a week, 2 or three times each muscle group, and jump up pretty quick. do u drink alcohol or anything that might hinder your gains?
Yeh, I'm a student so once or twice a week drinking is about normal. I reckon I could fit in 6 sessions a week, only problem is when I used to train 4 - 5 times a week before I used to get DOMS quite often, not bad but enough to put me off training. Best way to prevent this? Would the protien help?