50 Days of X-Factor Advanced: A Log by Resolve

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
18. Why wouldn't 17 years old be ok?
No offense dude, but at 17 years of age, and 6'1" and 160-odd pounds, just go eat a fricking ton of eggs, steak and potatoes and you'll gain.

The whole 17 vs. 18 is really just to cover MN for liability purposes I'm sure, but at your age, the growth potential is enormous with just plenty of food.

BTW, it's cool having a young'n in the log - my brother is your age and I've been trying for years to get him interested in lifting, but he only does it when he's forced to for football.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
:wave2::thanks:

I do have to confess that I got myself as bloated and waterlogged as possible for those before shots, but I was still quite a bit thicker then, due to Christmas vacation.
I really thought your after shots looked better in every single way.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

cg123

Awards
No offense dude, but at 17 years of age, and 6'1" and 160-odd pounds, just go eat a fricking ton of eggs, steak and potatoes and you'll gain.

The whole 17 vs. 18 is really just to cover MN for liability purposes I'm sure, but at your age, the growth potential is enormous with just plenty of food.

BTW, it's cool having a young'n in the log - my brother is your age and I've been trying for years to get him interested in lifting, but he only does it when he's forced to for football.
Ya for sure I get you. I have been eating a lot and have been gaining more and more pounds of muscle but I was just wandering if it's safe. Thanks for the input and very nice gains. Good log man

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really thought your after shots looked better in every single way.
Agree, muscle bellies looked much fuller.
:banana::dance2: Thanks you guys!

Ya for sure I get you. I have been eating a lot and have been gaining more and more pounds of muscle but I was just wandering if it's safe. Thanks for the input and very nice gains. Good log man
Yeah, man, it's safe. Glad I could help. :biglaugh:

Alright, y'all I have a seminar in 10minutes, but when I get back from that, I'll update on yesterdays workouts. Stay tuned!

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
Yeah, I'm pretty swamped with my research right now, but if I have time, I want to read up a bit more on AA in the CNS.
I ran a 50 day cycle of XFA starting back the beginning of January. I was very strict with it and cut out alot of other supplements which have COX-2 inhibiting properties. My goal was recomp basically; my diet was clean and was around 300 over maintenance. I did trim up some but didn't have any strength gains which was very disappointing to me.

My most notable effect though was cognitive. I felt a very significant increase in cognitive clarity and memory as well as perhaps the general sense of well being. This took me by surprise since I had cut out green tea, resveratrol, toco-8, fish oils, and several other things. This was fascinating to me, especially since I have utilized nootropics and other cognitive supplements in the past. If I recall, arachidonic acid is one of the most abundant fatty acids in the brain with implications on cellular membrane functionality with regard to a host of compounds. AA's supplementation impact would likely vary based on the individual neurobiology of each person. It is possible I might have a natural deficiency in AA. I am still working on clarifying my understanding in this area as I consider cognitive supplementation and its possibilities to be the most rewarding for myself.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ran a 50 day cycle of XFA starting back the beginning of January. I was very strict with it and cut out alot of other supplements which have COX-2 inhibiting properties. My goal was recomp basically; my diet was clean and was around 300 over maintenance. I did trim up some but didn't have any strength gains which was very disappointing to me.

My most notable effect though was cognitive. I felt a very significant increase in cognitive clarity and memory as well as perhaps the general sense of well being. This took me by surprise since I had cut out green tea, resveratrol, toco-8, fish oils, and several other things. This was fascinating to me, especially since I have utilized nootropics and other cognitive supplements in the past. If I recall, arachidonic acid is one of the most abundant fatty acids in the brain with implications on cellular membrane functionality with regard to a host of compounds. AA's supplementation impact would likely vary based on the individual neurobiology of each person. It is possible I might have a natural deficiency in AA. I am still working on clarifying my understanding in this area as I consider cognitive supplementation and its possibilities to be the most rewarding for myself.
Good insight, I appreciate it!

Alright, here's the update I promised everybody.

A.M. Session: SQUATS!

Box Squats:
135x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x3 +1 rep where my chest fell so I didn't count it.
405x3

I just cannot get my squats to improve. Bleh. I'm gonna have to bloat like crazy one of these days and treat my squat session like an actual PL meet.

SLDL with Snatch, Pipe Grip:
135x5 false grip
225x5 false grip
275x5 false grip
285x5 pronated grip

Rack Pull with snatch, pipe Grip:
315x5 pronated grip
315x5 mixed false grip

So I realized that I'm strong with a false (thumbless grip) than I am with conventional grip. This has me confused as hell - I have weak THUMBS? WTF? How the heck do I rectify this?

All movements supersetted with seated calf raises to technical failure.

PM Session

Weighted Pull-Ups:
BW+25 x6
BW+50 x6
BW+75x6

Weighted Chins:
BW+90 x5
BW+90 x3+3

Chins/Pull-Ups supersetted with 100lb Cable Pull-Overs for sets of 10. Chins/Pull-Ups/Pull-Overs all incorporated a 1sec squeeze at peak contraction.

Lying Leg Curls:
125x20
155x15
170x15
200x3x5

Decided to go heavier than usual on these. I'm glad I did, my hammies felt worked much more with fewer reps, heavier weight and a hard squeeze at the top of each rep.

100lb Plate Pushes: 4 times down and back, about 20yd in each direction

My wife/training partner did plate pushes for the first time with me yesterday, though she only used a 45. She could not believe how intense they were - she loved 'em and can't wait to do them again on Friday.

XFA Notes: Euphoric side effect seems to wearing off. I have a lot on my plate right now, so this could be stress induced. Also been having headaches the last few days. Still waiting for that strength increase to kick in.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Terrific feedback!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Those plate pushes look intense I just looked at them. I am thinking of buying an old wheelbarrow and adding a few things to put plates on it then lowering the tire pressure and using that from some wheel barrow / farmers walks.

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established
Stout w/o man, your squats #'s are real good even though they don't seem it. I feel like Squats were always a buzzkill in my training regimen. No matter how much everything else went up I could never get my squats up to par.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big R, you should throw a widowmaker in the mix for your squats. Try cranking 280x20 for sh!ts and giggles. It's a lighter weight so the form should be tits and the reps will kick your quads into high gear.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I realized that I'm strong with a false (thumbless grip) than I am with conventional grip. This has me confused as hell - I have weak THUMBS? WTF? How the heck do I rectify this?
Probably weak grip in general. And you probably haven't even noticed it until you tried the false grip.
Try plate squeezes: Pinch-holding some standard plates with your 4 fingers on one side and your thumb on the opposite side, squeezing and holding it until your hand fatigues and weakens. Start with lighter plates and keep working up until you can pinch-hold a 50 lb. plate for a few minutes hold.

Also, the farmer-walks that Kleen mentioned are a fantastic grip builder.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stout w/o man, your squats #'s are real good even though they don't seem it. I feel like Squats were always a buzzkill in my training regimen. No matter how much everything else went up I could never get my squats up to par.
Long legs + Long torso do not make advantageous squat leverage! :D

Big R, you should throw a widowmaker in the mix for your squats. Try cranking 280x20 for sh!ts and giggles. It's a lighter weight so the form should be tits and the reps will kick your quads into high gear.
Next time I'm feeling adventurous I will definitely incorporate a widowmaker!

Probably weak grip in general. And you probably haven't even noticed it until you tried the false grip.
Try plate squeezes: Pinch-holding some standard plates with your 4 fingers on one side and your thumb on the opposite side, squeezing and holding it until your hand fatigues and weakens. Start with lighter plates and keep working up until you can pinch-hold a 50 lb. plate for a few minutes hold.

Also, the farmer-walks that Kleen mentioned are a fantastic grip builder.
It really seems to be my thumbs/wrist extensors. I can farmer's walk 125 to a hand for 150yds. I can also pinch hold two 45s together for 20secs (but they are rubber coated which I'm sure makes it easier).

But grip is definitely something I'm trying to work on - hence all the thick/fat grip stuff. But it seems I'm honing in on what specific part of my grip is the shortcoming. I'm thinking ill add in some wrist extensions to failure and find some other stuff to strengthen that portion of my hand.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
those are nuts, im horrible at high rep squats, after me and my workout partner work up to 365 for 5, he always does a 5 repper with 405 then a 20 repper with 275... hes got me beat in the quads and hams department!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
those are nuts, im horrible at high rep squats, after me and my workout partner work up to 365 for 5, he always does a 5 repper with 405 then a 20 repper with 275... hes got me beat in the quads and hams department!
They are killer. They can really give a nice growth spurt and help to break thru plateaus.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don't get much in the quads from squatting, but I get awesome stimulation from leg press so I am doing the best of both worlds 4 sets on leg press followed by a widowmaker for squats. My quads are nice and sore then I do my Dead lifts later in the week for the back, hams, glutes and adductors to have heavier stimulation.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But grip is definitely something I'm trying to work on - hence all the thick/fat grip stuff. But it seems I'm honing in on what specific part of my grip is the shortcoming. I'm thinking ill add in some wrist extensions to failure and find some other stuff to strengthen that portion of my hand.
You could get yourself a hand-gripper. You know....the spring between the handles thingy. Make sure to buy a decent one though, I've broke 3 of those cheap ones in the past. I broke the plastic handles on them, squeezing them TOO hard. ARGH!!!

I've got a grip like Magnus Samuelsson.
Grip of steel.......Gorilla Grip!!!

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could get yourself a hand-gripper. You know....the spring between the handles thingy. Make sure to buy a decent one though, I've broke 3 of those cheap ones in the past. I broke the plastic handles on them, squeezing them TOO hard. ARGH!!!

grip strength has always been a problem of mine, those hand gripper work pretty well though to build up tendon strength.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

grip strength has always been a problem of mine, those hand gripper work pretty well though to build up tendon strength.
I've considered picking up some of the "Captains of Crush" Grippers, but don't have the funds currently.

The last couple of days have been nuts - I'm lecturing on Monday and in the middle of writing a new proposal. But I'll put an update on the last couple of workouts this afternoon/evening. I've been pleased with my performance!

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've considered picking up some of the "Captains of Crush" Grippers, but don't have the funds currently.

The last couple of days have been nuts - I'm lecturing on Monday and in the middle of writing a new proposal. But I'll put an update on the last couple of workouts this afternoon/evening. I've been pleased with my performance!
CoC grippers are nice, I have a pair of the 150s that I use from time to time.

congrats on your professional endeavors going well!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CoC grippers are nice, I have a pair of the 150s that I use from time to time.

congrats on your professional endeavors going well!
Thanks man! I'm a molecular biologist working on my PhD, so work's hectic right now.

Anyways, this update is overdue, so let's get it underway.

XFA Notes: I don't know if the headaches I was experiencing were due to the XFA or just stress, but in either case, they've dissipated now and are a thing of the past. Further, as I'm sure you'll see - my strength on several lifts has taken a large and unexpected jump. I'm really quite surprised at the size of the increase that I've seen in my OHP and floor press, as well as my reverse band deads.

Highlights from Wednesday's Training:

Overhead Press: 200x3 solid reps, with no leg drive AND no elbow pain. This is a PR for strict press.

Floor Press: 315x3 This is the first time I've pressed more than 300 since before Christmas! My tendonitis had been the limiting factor until now. I'm still a bit neurally weak, as made clear from the 3rd rep which was a real "grinder", but nonetheless pain was minimal and form was perfect and controlled.

Today's AM Session

Reverse Band Deads: About 100lbs of assistance at the floor, no assistance at about 8" up.
225x3 - Thick, Overhand False Grip
315x3 - Thick, overhand false grip
405x3 - Thick, Overhand grip
455x3 - Thick, Alternate grip
475x3 - Alternate Grip
500x3 - Alternate grip
545x1 - Alternate grip, held at lockout to failure
545x1 - alternate grip, held at lockout to failure

My grip is the weak point as had been made clear and I thought this would be a good way to overload it. Boy was I right - if you've never tried RB Deads, they get the job done lemme tell ya.

100lb Plate Pushes: 3x25yd down and back

Standing Calf Raises

PM Session

Lying Leg Curls:
200 for 5x5 with 2sec squeeze at the top of each rep

HS Iso-lateral Row w/2sec squeeze at top of each rep:
2 plates per side x5
3 plates per side x5
4 plates per side x5
5 plates per side x5
6 plates per side x5

Barbell Static Shrugs: Held to grip failure
135 - overhand false grip
225 - overhand false grip
225 - underhand grip
315 - overhand false grip
315 - underhand grip
315 - hook grip
315 - alternate grip

100lb Plate Pushes: 3x 25yd down and back.

Meant to do some wrist extensions but I forgot. My back and posterior chain is DECIMATED. Good thing I've gotta rack of ribs with my name on it.

IT IS VIKING FEAST TIME! WASSAIL!:firedevil:

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well done with the weight increases, it may have taken seven years, but I think arachidonic acid has finally caught on with the majority of members on many of the larger forums.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well done with the weight increases, it may have taken seven years, but I think arachidonic acid has finally caught on with the majority of members on many of the larger forums.
I've liked AA since the get go :yup:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Went camping this weekend and gave a lecture this morning - busy as hell. I will be posting an update tomorrow. Grad school is kicking my ass; I had a border line panic attack on Friday evening. :/

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established
Went camping this weekend and gave a lecture this morning - busy as hell. I will be posting an update tomorrow. Grad school is kicking my ass; I had a border line panic attack on Friday evening. :/
Take your time man, life gets busy. The stresses of life always seem to get in the way but in the long run will be very well worth it. Keep up the good work.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take your time man, life gets busy. The stresses of life always seem to get in the way but in the long run will be very well worth it. Keep up the good work.
absolutely Resolve, the log can always wait a few days to be updated, we realize how busy you are juggling a social life with grad school and everything else, no worries on our end. Hope you get everything figured out and manageable!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks y'all.

So here's the run-down from Monday's training:

XFA Notes: Water retention appears to be subsiding, but I've been feeling "tighter" than normal, particularly in the back and arms. Mood elevation has subsided, but I attribute this to outside stress.

Monday AM session:
Box Squats:
135x8 - just to loosen up
225x5
275x5
315x3
365x3
405x1 - chest fell on second rep, I just can't win with these.
275x20 - Widowmaker, and I rocked it! I was pissed from failing with 405, and this was my redemption. Next week, I'm doing 285!

SLDLs:
135x5 - snatch, fat grip
225x5 - snatch, fat grip
275x5 - snatch, fat grip, held to failure at last rep
295x3 - snatch, fat grip
315x5 - snatch, overhand grip, held to failure

All movements supersetted with seated calf raises

PM Session:
Superset: Parallel Grip Chins/Cable Pull-Overs
BWx7/70x10
+45x7/80x10
+70x5/90x10
+80x5/100x10
+90x5/100x10
- Held each rep at top for a good squeeze before lowering; this really increases the difficulty of both movements.

Superset: Lying Leg Curls/Fat Bar Wrist Extensions
140x10/40x15
180x8/40x15
200x5x5/40x5x10-15

Superset: 100lb Plate Pushes/Fat Bar Wrist Extensions
3x 25yrd down and back/40x3x10

Calves.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A friend of mine had dinner last night with Benedikt Magnusson. Needless to say, I am more than green with envy. And she doesn't even lift!
I heard about his recent feat of strength, insane!

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And he did it right here in TX! :D
I heard on rxmuscle the RC Classic was pretty epic, cant believe Coleman, Branch and Jackson didnt show up though to guest pose as they were supposed to... seems odd

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Update for yesterday: Bench Day

XFA Notes: Think I'm reaching a steady state with AA - I'm not noticing major mood improvements anymore and haven't seen any huge strength increases this week, so far.

Wednesdays AM session:

Superset: OHP/Mini-band Facepulls
135x5/ x15
155x3/ x17
185x3/ x20
195x3/ x20
205x3/ x20
225x1 - this was really a push press. Had to use some leg drive and decided I'd had enough.

Superset: Floor Press/ HS Shrugs
225x5/ 3plates per side x12
245x5/ 4 " x10
275x3/ 4 " x10
295x3/ 5 " x8
315x3/ 5 " x8
335x1/ 5 " x8

HS Press:
70 per side x15
70 " x12
80 " x10
80 " x10
70 " x10
70 " x10

Finished up with triceps rehab.

PM Session:

Superset: Incline Cable Flies/ Incline DB Curls with double contraction
35x20/ 40x12
45x15/ 40x12
55x12/ 40x10
55x9/ 40x10
65x8/ 40x10
55x10/ 40x8
45x10/ 40x10
55x10/ 40x10
45x10/ 40x8
45x10/ 40x8

Finished off with some reverse fat bar preachers, hammer curls and a few giant sets of various db curls together.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What exercises are you doing for the triceps rehab?
It varies. This time I did super slow bodyweight triceps extensions with my hands on a bench, followed by light rope extensions.

I focus on taking each rep slowly, and contracting the muscle hard through the range of motion. It's really helped a lot.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
subbed, sorry i was so late.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
How dare you?!

Nah, man, no worries. Glad to have ya. :biglaugh:
work nick, gotta grab all the ot the old body can take.

btw-aa is great stuff. i see you are enjoying it.:bigok:

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It varies. This time I did super slow bodyweight triceps extensions with my hands on a bench, followed by light rope extensions.

I focus on taking each rep slowly, and contracting the muscle hard through the range of motion. It's really helped a lot.
lifting has been a whole new ball game for me now that I carefully avoid injuries and try and eliminate nagging aches and pains, looks like your triceps are quite strong from those pressing numbers!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
work nick, gotta grab all the ot the old body can take.

btw-aa is great stuff. i see you are enjoying it.:bigok:
An admirable work ethic, especially in this economy. Yup, I'm liking XFA - the more I think about it, the more I think it would an awesome ancillary to an anabolic cycle.

lifting has been a whole new ball game for me now that I carefully avoid injuries and try and eliminate nagging aches and pains, looks like your triceps are quite strong from those pressing numbers!
My tris are REALLY weak in comparison to what they once were, but I'm working my way back. And, I have no intention of hurting myself again - triceps isolation from here on will be primarily for the purpose of strengthening the joints and tendons.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
An admirable work ethic, especially in this economy. Yup, I'm liking XFA - the more I think about it, the more I think it would an awesome ancillary to an anabolic cycle.

My tris are REALLY weak in comparison to what they once were, but I'm working my way back. And, I have no intention of hurting myself again - triceps isolation from here on will be primarily for the purpose of strengthening the joints and tendons.
This log has re-aroused my desire to get back on some AA. It worked well for me in the past. Great strength gains.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This log has re-aroused my desire to get back on some AA. It worked well for me in the past. Great strength gains.
glad to hear it worked well for you and youll be gaining again with it soon!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

or pct. from all i have read aa and daa would go great together.:yup:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice man, it's surprisingly effective, given the level of hype typically associated with flagship products like this. I've got more to relate on that note below.

or pct. from all i have read aa and daa would go great together.:yup:
Good point. I'm a little wary of DAA due to the prostate troubles I've seen arise in several users, but that combo would likely be a lot of fun with some Stinging Nettle thrown it.

Weekend Update!
I had another seminar to give on Friday and a proposal due on Monday, so I've been very busy that last few days. Thankfully, it's the weekend, so writing/studying doesn't compete with class, which frees up more time to lift!

XFA Notes: Definitely grown accustomed mentally to XFA now; I don't get any sort of mood boost at all following a dose. However, I continue to see surprising jumps in strength for certain movements, so XFA is still definitely doing its thing.

On Friday the highlight of the day was pulling 475 from a 4" deficit with perfect form. While considerable less than what I can pull for a normal deadlift, standing on a 4" platform greatly increases the difficulty of the movement, so I was pleased with this solid pull.

On Saturday, I knocked out a triple with 255 on OH Pin Press, a massive PR! Considering at my strongest last year I managed a single with 275, I'd say my strength is coming back nicely.

Also on Saturday I did a triple on weighted Dips with 115. Again, no where near a PR, but the most I've dipped since I got tendonitis.

Today's an off-day, but tomorrow I squat. And truth be told, I had the first cheat meal I've had in a long time to prepare for the carnage I intend to wreak.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tomorrow I squat.

I prepare for the carnage I intend to wreak.
Highly anticipating the ensuing carnage.

Unleash the fury, warrior!!!

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that you in that pic, tg?
Nay, my mortal friend. Tis verily mine brother-eternal Nick in yon photo.

Here I be.

Der Donner-Gott
The Thunder-God

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Highly anticipating the ensuing carnage.

Unleash the fury, warrior!!!

Shoot I need some of this Epic Motivation in my log. Although until tomorrow it wont have been worthy of it.

I bet you destroy your legs tomorrow with squats after a good cheat meal Nick.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to the movies this weekend and saw a preview for the new Connan The Barbarian movie :yup:

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I went to the movies this weekend and saw a preview for the new Connan The Barbarian movie :yup:
how does it look? tell me its not like that new predator movie where they replaced the original mass monsters with some of the thinnest emaciated male figures Ive ever seen in an action movie...