Honey is the natural carbohydrate source for endurance

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
<P class=byline><B>By Dr. Phil Maffetone</B>

Can honey improve endurance? According to researcher Richard Kreider, Ph.D., it can.

<P class=text>Results of three studies were presented at the annual meetings for Experimental Biology, the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association. They all showed honey may be a superior energy source for athletes because of its low glycemic index and positive metabolic response.

<P class=text>The studies show that honey may be an effective pre-workout energy source that does not induce hypoglycemia (eating or drinking sugary products before working out can cause low blood sugar during the workout). Honey can also help sustain blood sugar when taken following a workout.

<P class=text>In one study, 71 subjects were given various forms of carbohydrates, including honey and placebo. Honey produced only mild increases in blood sugar and insulin, unlike dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin.

<P class=text>Another study included 39 athletes. Following an intensive weight workout, each subject immediately consumed a protein shake blended with either sucrose (white sugar), maltodextrin, honey or a placebo. Honey was the only carbohydrate to sustain blood sugar over the two hours following the exercise, and showed favorable hormone changes indicative of a positive muscle recuperative state.

<P class=text>A third study had cyclists simulate a 40-mile race. Honey was shown to improve endurance capacity and be a very efficient carbohydrate source.

<P class=text>[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]<B>Making the sweet choice[/font]</B>
When shopping for honey, look for a number of attributes. Dark honey may be the most therapeutic. Try to get raw, unfiltered honey. Keep it in a dark cabinet but there's no need to refrigerate it. Heat, light and filtering remove some of the beneficial properties of honey.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
<P class=byline><B>By Dr. Phil Maffetone</B>

Honey can also help sustain blood sugar when taken following a workout.

In one study, 71 subjects were given various forms of carbohydrates, including honey and placebo. Honey produced only mild increases in blood sugar and insulin, unlike dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin.

<P class=text>Another study included 39 athletes. Following an intensive weight workout, each subject immediately consumed a protein shake blended with either sucrose (white sugar), maltodextrin, honey or a placebo. Honey was the only carbohydrate to sustain blood sugar over the two hours following the exercise, and showed favorable hormone changes indicative of a positive muscle recuperative state.

When shopping for honey, look for a number of attributes. Dark honey may be the most therapeutic. Try to get raw, unfiltered honey. Keep it in a dark cabinet but there's no need to refrigerate it. Heat, light and filtering remove some of the beneficial properties of honey.
this post is perfect timing ww7. I have always took dextrose or a half-half malt/dext mix with my protein post workout. My next shipping of dextrose wont be here for a week so i have no simiple carb source for my workouts. But was thinking about getting honey. So my question mainly is...(1) what does it mean to purchase the raw unflitered Dark honey? would i know by the label? (2) How many on this board take honey for post? (3) do you guys take the same grams post (around 50-60g's for my case) WOuld apprecaite some response.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Im going to try it for a month and see how it goes.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
aight. went to a natural foods store and a grocery store and i have 2 questions. (1) i saw one which was unfiltered, not processed, straight from the hive, think it was called raw honey.(it was a creamy color) I understand this the purest form and probably the best but it was blalently 3 times the price ounce for ounce. So is this the one i should fork up the dough for or would your basic "grade A" pure honey be ok (ones you can get anywhere). (2) article mentions "dark" honey being more theraputic. Would honeys like buckwheat and other source (which have a darker color than your average clover) honey be the choice over the regular golden color from clover? Sage

Sean

Awards
Re: Re: Honey is the natural carbohydrate source for endurance

Sage: The article did say, though, that, "Honey produced only mild increases in blood sugar and insulin." What you would want along with your post-workout whey is something that dramatically elevates insulin levels.
Also, I was once told that fructose is slightly catabolic - it's probably not a good idea to have too much of that after a workout (honey is about 1:1 dextrose:fructose).

b-boy

Awards
honey? ha ha

dam bro's ive been using honey pre and post workout for the last 10 yrs. ha ha

seriously ive been using honey for a while, never really knew all the scientific **** behind using it just took a guys advice in north carolina a long time ago.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I started adding a heaping tbls of honey in my pre-workout shake a couple months ago. This has produced the best and most intense workouts in over a year. I almost feel like I'm on ph. I thought this had to be in my imagination. Good article, jake.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
oh damn..John Benz is here....ow ow!!!!

LG. :cool:

khafra

Awards
Very interesting read, and a departure from conventional wisdom, I think.  I mean, I've always heard that honey is nutritively little better than raw sugar.

That makes me think that the lighter variety in the average grocery store might very well be just as bad, just as a possible cautionary note.  But I'm definitely going to check for some dark unfiltered, I could use something new in my pre-workout mix.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting read, and a departure from conventional wisdom, I think.  I mean, I've always heard that honey is nutritively little better than raw sugar.

That makes me think that the lighter variety in the average grocery store might very well be just as bad, just as a possible cautionary note.  But I'm definitely going to check for some dark unfiltered, I could use something new in my pre-workout mix.
ive ordered some raw honey from vitalgo (5lbs for 20 bucks flat...much better price per ounce/serving than any natural food store ive been to), which i thought the info about this particular honey was given by someone in this thread but i guess not. I havent received it yet, and prob. by the time i get it, my dextrose will arrive :)rolleyes: ) until either arrives, im using your basic grade a natural honey you get anywhere....be interested to see if my react any different from regular processed honey to the raw honey/dext mix for post carb source. be lettin you know within the next month Sage

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established

ive ordered some raw honey from vitalgo (5lbs for 20 bucks flat...much better price per ounce/serving than any natural food store ive been to), which i thought the info about this particular honey was given by someone in this thread but i guess not. I havent received it yet, and prob. by the time i get it, my dextrose will arrive :)rolleyes: ) until either arrives, im using your basic grade a natural honey you get anywhere....be interested to see if my react any different from regular processed honey to the raw honey/dext mix for post carb source. be lettin you know within the next month Sage
I would've sworn I posted a link to that in this thread...maybe it got deleted by mods....i did PM you with the same info though...

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I think a few posts were delted when the board was down for awhile. Go ahead and put up the info of where to buy it again.

Inzah Dude

Awards
I started adding a heaping tbls of honey in my pre-workout shake a couple months ago. This has produced the best and most intense workouts in over a year. I almost feel like I'm on ph. I thought this had to be in my imagination. Good article, jake.
Hey John, what did else did you put in your preworkout shake? About how long before you workout did you have your shake?

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
aight. went to a natural foods store and a grocery store and i have 2 questions. (1) i saw one which was unfiltered, not processed, straight from the hive, think it was called raw honey.(it was a creamy color)
Sage, I tried this one a while back and it does claim to be pretty much untouched. Not even heated. It was a creamy color, and had to be heated to get anything out of it. Otherwise it was just too hard too scoop. It was good quality though from what I could tell. The label claimed to have the most active antioxidants and nutrients since it was untouched. Hope that helped.

Good article BTW.

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Hey John, what did else did you put in your preworkout shake? About how long before you workout did you have your shake?
50 grams of protein, casein/whey/egg; any good MRP will do. I use Optimum Complete Protein Diet. I add 10 grams Glutamine, and eat a bowl (1 - 1 1/2 cups) cooked old fashioned oatmeal, and 12 liver tabs about 45 minutes prior to workout. On leg night, (added intensity) I eat a piece of fruit on the way to the gym, an apple, a small banana, etc. The more carbs you eat, the higher the energy level for sustained intense workouts.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
John Benz

if you're still around here, i realise this is a very old thread but if that's what your pre workout looks like how do you take care of POST-workout nutrition.

Jag