Standard Nutrition: Fat!

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I decided to compose a little article on fat from what I know....This is a highly under-rated macronutrient......

I know everyone has heard the phrase "Dont eat fat and you wont get fat". Probably from your mom or grandma or the anorexic girl on the treadmill at the gym, well they couldnt be more wrong. A local university conducted a body composition test for a high protein, low carb, low fat diet. The University took 5 participants 3 males and 2 females, fed them protein bars, protein shakes, meat, eggs, etc and primarily complex carbohydrates. These 5 participants were volunteers who were depressed about their flabb thighs, arms and bellies. So this study seemed idea for them, no fat, you will have to lose fat. These people were told to not change anything in their daily schedule, exercise, work load, etc. At the end of 45 days, each person's bodyfat was tested by under water weighing tanks and this seems kind of mean because the professors knew before hand the results, and boom! Each and every person's body fat had climbed 1 full percent or more. Since they were volunteers, they were thanked for their time and sent away. Whats this mean? Not so much to do with fat as with exercise. Because these people chose not to be active, they thought their diet would single handily drop unwanted bodyfat, wrong.

Types of Fats

Monounsaturated Fats- This is an unsaturated fat that contains only one double or triple bond. Not the best fat in your diet, but certainly not the worst. Can be found in foods like almonds, pecans, peanuts and olive oil

Polyunsaturated Fat - Contains more than one double or triple bond per molecule. This is a pretty solid, good fat to have in your diet. Diets high in this fat have been directly linked to low serum cholesterol levels. Found in things like sunflower seeds, soybeans, walnuts, fish, corn and safflower oil.

Saturated Fat - In short, the devil. An number of glyceryl esters of certain organic acids in which all atoms are joined by single bonds, not good. A diet high in saturated fat may contribute to high serum cholesterol levels and can be linked to coronary heart disease. Found in foods like cocnut oil, palm oil, butter, most cheeses, whole-milk products, pork, veal, beef lamb. While these fats are pretty much unavoidable, take it easy on the saturated fat intake. Your cutting diet will thank you.

Medium Chain Triglycerides - A glycerine ester combined with an acid that has 8 to 10 carbon atoms and can be absorbed straight into the portal system. Most MCTS are used more for energy than any other fat and are less prone to storage as fat.

Essential Fatty Acids - Ah yes, better know to all as "flax oil" ;) These are actually polyunsaturated fatty acids. These are named linoleic acid, alpha-linolenic acid and arachidonic acid, or the Omegas. These are essential for the body to obtain proper growth, maintainence, and basic functions of the body. EFA are also responsible for normal functioning of the reproductive system and endocrine systems as well as breaking up cholesterol deposits on artery walls. There is an over abundance of information out there about the omega EFAs, especially in flax oil, probably the hottest new "supplement" money can buy.

*Roles of Fats
- Insulation of the body
- fuel for the body
- padding of vital organs
- provide essential fatty acids and their functions
- Provide building blocks for other substances
- components of cell membranes

Fat yields 9 calories of energy per 1 gram, making it the most resourceful energy source for the human body.

This is a VERY brief overview of fats, but this is probably all you need to know as a bodybuilder, fat metabolism towards the end is very similar as the metabolism of a carbohydrate, in fact carbs are essential in the metabolism of fat, Thanks for your time, YJ

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
My last 2 meals of the day are simply protein and fat. Some steak and a jar of pb with a spoon. Then, some casein, pb, and flax. Then, I wake up and poop it all out.

BIGPOPPAPUMP

Banned
Awards
another great article yj
i take in lots of mct oil.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
My last 2 meals of the day are simply protein and fat.
Right on. This is one of the few things I do, find it easy and effective for controlling non-lean weight gain while bulking.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
YJ.....great post.

There is still this belief in the world that fat makes you fat.
That is foolish IMO. Proper nutrition is so important and the ballance of fats/carbs and proteins are important. And even more important is the ballance of types of fats......Omega 3's and 6's as well as the overal ballance of good and bad fats.

A cleaner Keto is something I actually practice. :D

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Re: YJ.....great post.

There is still this belief in the world that fat makes you fat.
That is foolish IMO. Proper nutrition is so important and the ballance of fats/carbs and proteins are important. And even more important is the ballance of types of fats......Omega 3's and 6's as well as the overal ballance of good and bad fats.

A cleaner Keto is something I actually practice. :D
Nice to see you back

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
My last 2 meals of the day are simply protein and fat. Some steak and a jar of pb with a spoon. Then, some casein, pb, and flax. Then, I wake up and poop it all out.
ha ha ha....standard (poop it out eh?) A jar of pb eh scotty2?? you might just challenge my daily intake of peanut butter....well, probably not ;) as we speak, craming down some oatmeal with 3-4 tbl of pb....just have to hype myself up here...i put the 5lb tub of Adam's to work my friends....

Andy2k

Awards
just gotta keep things balanced. fat is an enemy when there's too much of it in your diet (too many calories overall, wrong balance etc) I don't think everyone should be just switching to keto diets purely because they 'work' - a healthy, balanced diet together with an occasional keto plan is fine (there are some nasty sides to keto - liver, kidneys, gallstones etc)
I don't know about anyone else, but I find it difficult to sleep if I don't have some fat last thing at night - where's the cookie jar?:D