Consuming calories during workout halts GH production?

T-Bar

Awards
I was doing some research last night and I came across a post where somebody stated that consuming calories during workout can keep you from producing GH. I've been drinking Universal rage during my work-outs for almost a year, so this is something I'd like to know more about. Anybody heard this?

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
I think the idea is that GH is only produced while blood glucose is low. Drinking carbs obviously raises blood sugar, which turns off GH production. I don't know the exact endocrinology/biochemistry of it, but I'm sure someone else around here does. :)

What I personnally do, is wait until my workout is over, then down some high-GI carbs to get a big insulin spike to convert my GH to IGF-1... Althouth there is a debate on wether that particular way of making IGF-1 is muscle-building or not...

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
The GH release will NEVER EVER amount to the insulin related gains from having the carbohydrates. GH release will be minimal... and even though GH is anticatabolic, deflated muscles is very catabolic so drink up!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
The GH release will NEVER EVER amount to the insulin related gains from having the carbohydrates. GH release will be minimal... and even though GH is anticatabolic, deflated muscles is very catabolic so drink up!
Exactly! (Well, to my understanding anyway, lol). I've seen numerous posts and ideas about during workout shakes (Layne's comes to mind actually) and the only real negative anyone had was about possible lowered GH release, which I believe was minimal anyway. I should try and get some studies though for you

MadChild

Awards
I drink half of my shake halfway through my work out, add some extra water to it and then finish it at the end of my work out. I learned it from Layne. He explained that the dextrose in the shake will help keep you hydrated and stave off cortisol.

boffo234

Awards
how much Protein and Carbs you puttin in your Shake there MadChild?

MadChild

Awards
Right now I'm putting 22g of whey and 21g of egg protein and 30g powdered skim milk. I add about 45 g dextrose.