How Do I Find the "True" Whole Wheat/Grain Products?

SHSUStudent

Awards
Hey Guys,

I'm still trying to find a good variety of healthy carbs.

1) Wheat bread. I know to avoid Honey Wheat, but is there anything else I need to look for when selecting my whole wheat breads? What makes one whole wheat bread better/worse than others?

2) Wheat waffles. I find myself wondering... just because these waffles say whole wheat does that really mean they are good for me? I'd love to add wheat waffles to my breakfast menu if they are actually good for me. (Low/no sugar syrup or some type of natty peanut butter topping ok? Sure sounds good.)

3) Brown rice. Still don't understand why it's better than white rice honestly, but either way I don't eat white rice anymore and have incorporated brown rice into my daily routine for a good source of carbs. How do you guys eat you brown rice? I've found mixing it with half a can of turkey chili + some lousiana hot sauce to be pretty tasty.

4) Of course good ole rolled oats are a must. Thought I don't particulary enjoy them. What is your favorite way to eat your oats?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think with all "whole wheat" products, fiber content is a good indicator whether or not it is false advertising.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Stay away from any whole wheat products that say "enriched."

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Ya, it must say 100% whole wheat to be good.
Thats what I've always understood....btw hellloooooo...I'm AM's resident pimp. I don't think we've been properly introduced *ducks*

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I look for bromated or stone ground whoe wheat that doesn't have less than 3 grams of fiber per slice and no more than 1 gram of sugar a slice

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Also, read the ingredients for high fructose corn syrup, and stay away! I've seen whole, 12-grain, 9-grain and multi grain wheat bread and bagels that contain HFCS. (Is nothing sacred?)

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also, read the ingredients for high fructose corn syrup, and stay away! I've seen whole, 12-grain, 9-grain and multi grain wheat bread and bagels that contain HFCS. (Is nothing sacred?)
I recently moved to Florida and had some issues finding bread, since I always got my bread at Trader Joe's and there are none around me (in Jax). On the positive side, I found a Soft Taco from La Banderita that has 80 calories per wrap, with 6 grams of fiber, no sugar, and 5 grams protein. These are great for everything, I don't eat bread at all anymore. So look around and see if there are any bread alternatives you can find. The only caveat is that the wraps come in a million different flavors, and they are all not good for you.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
1)Whole Wheat Bread. I think a couple people have answered this, but try to stay away from breads that have added sugars, like honey wheat.

2) Wheat waffles. Read the ingredients, if they say whole wheat and don't contain added sugars, they are most likely good for you.

3) Brown rice. Brown rice is good because it is a low GI carb and has lots of fiber, that of which white rice is lacking in both departments. White rice's carbohydrates are metabolized faster and the fiber it once contained has been removed through processing.

4) Of course good ole rolled oats are a must. Thought I don't particulary enjoy them. What is your favorite way to eat your oats? The easiest way for my to eat them is to throw them in the blender, or coffee grinder, with some low fat or skim milk, a dash of sugar for taste, and maybe a scoop or two of whey. Press the button and watch as your oats become liquid and you can drink a would be bowl of oats in seconds.

Sea223

Awards
  • Established
I recently moved to Florida and had some issues finding bread, since I always got my bread at Trader Joe's and there are none around me (in Jax). On the positive side, I found a Soft Taco from La Banderita that has 80 calories per wrap, with 6 grams of fiber, no sugar, and 5 grams protein. These are great for everything, I don't eat bread at all anymore. So look around and see if there are any bread alternatives you can find. The only caveat is that the wraps come in a million different flavors, and they are all not good for you.
Yeah- many of the wraps have trans fat (partially/fully hydrogenated anykind of oil) in them even though they say 0 grams on the label. Company's are allowed to say this as long as it is .5 g's or less per serving.....it adds up though. As far as the waffles go I think the Kashi Go lean ones are acceptable. I haven't tried them myself, so I don't know how they taste.
Good Luck.

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
Trader Joe's is the Holy Grail of all that is good for you. I use their breads and their low carb tortillas when on keto.
ROB

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
Trader Joe's is the Holy Grail of all that is good for you. I use their breads and their low carb tortillas when on keto.
ROB
Sorry to sound like a noob, but what is this Keto diet that I have read a few people post about.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry to sound like a noob, but what is this Keto diet that I have read a few people post about.
It's a carb cycling diet that puts your body into a state of Ketosis.

I find that flat breads such as wraps, tortillas, pitas, paninis, etc have very low, if any added sugar most of the time, and are a much healthier source of carbs than the average bread.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
most waffles have trans fat..so be careful (hydrogenated anything)

Also avoid the HFCS....my sister and mom thought they were doing the right thing and getting "whole wheat" everything..but then when i showed them how HFCS is pretty much in everything..they had no idea

Also there is a cereal called Fiber one by general mills...I'd have to think this is probably the best high fiber food out there right now.

You can actually turn fiber one into a snack too. The other day i took about a cup of the fiber one cereal...heated up a tablespoon of Olive oil...through the cup of cereal in with some salt and various spices..and boy was it good...a nice high fiber snack...

h19

Sea223

Awards
  • Established
most waffles have trans fat..so be careful (hydrogenated anything)

Also avoid the HFCS....my sister and mom thought they were doing the right thing and getting "whole wheat" everything..but then when i showed them how HFCS is pretty much in everything..they had no idea

Also there is a cereal called Fiber one by general mills...I'd have to think this is probably the best high fiber food out there right now.

You can actually turn fiber one into a snack too. The other day i took about a cup of the fiber one cereal...heated up a tablespoon of Olive oil...through the cup of cereal in with some salt and various spices..and boy was it good...a nice high fiber snack...

h19
Nice Pic bro-lookin thick. I fiber one too. I just don't like the Aspartame that it has in it. Kashi Go lean is a pretty good cereal-I had stevia extract to it and it tastes okay.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I like the Go-lean...i haven't eaten it in a while though..it doesn't have that much fiber right?

Sea223

Awards
  • Established
I like the Go-lean...i haven't eaten it in a while though..it doesn't have that much fiber right?
Mine has 10 per serving- 9 insoluble. I think Fiber one has 14. The Go-lean crunch has more sugar and a little less fiber at 8 I think. So confusing- So many go-leans- Later