What are the benefits of using the Sauna and/or the Steam Room?

JohnGafnea

Awards
I'm wondering how they are supposed to be used. I would ask the people who use them, but for some reason 99% of those who do are always 500lbs. :\

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
they're mainly used for mucky humid suffocation, and indulgence in strange homoerotic fantasies involving said 500lb big boys :D

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
They raise the bodies core temperature, thus speeding up the bodies energy expenditure. Your BMR will speed up, burning more calories, which are 99% fat. You essentially sweat off fat.

dez/null

Awards
Correct you if i may.

I hardly think raiseing the body temperture will do much for looseing fat unless its being used for energy.

There mainly used for relaxation and water loss.

I know this due to the fact that i wrestle in 85 dagree temperture and it rises during the season progresses. Not Fun. But during this time I lost the same amount of fat when we just kept the room temp at a normal level...and wrestled alot better.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Well a rise in basal temperature, you can bet your BMR speeds up, similiar to the thermic effect of food. With this, you body releases sweat, but the ol' Krebs cycle is speeding away to process energy. So unless you are starving yourself, you are indeed burning fat.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
... though it doesn't much help the fat old fellas who walk a mile and sweat for an hour in the thing, and then promptly eat a huge unhealthy dinner :D

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
... though it doesn't much help the fat old fellas who walk a mile and sweat for an hour in the thing, and then promptly eat a huge unhealthy dinner :D
True, the majority do it for the sweat secretion properties. which tightens the skin.....but fat is burnt as well.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yep! although, is there any reference to optimal length of time and such? seems like 45 mins or something would be plenty to sufficiently have an impact but I really have no idea.. just a curiosity

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
some studies that might be of interest... not like you'll sit in a sauna THEN workout, but interesting nonetheless:

The effects of acute heat exposure on muscular strength, muscular endurance, and muscular power in the euhydrated athlete.

Hedley AM, Climstein M, Hansen R.

Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, New South Wales, Australia 2059.

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of acute heat exposure upon muscular strength, muscular endurance, and muscular power in euhydrated athletes. Ten healthy, weight-trained men (average age = 23.0 +/- 4.0 years) volunteered for this investigation. Subjects were randomized to normothermic (22.5 degrees C, 65% relative humidity [RH]) or hyperthermic (65-75 degrees C, 15% RH) condition for 30 minutes. Results indicated that all subjects experienced significant (p < 0.05) hemodynamic stress because of the 30 minutes of heat exposure (blood pressure [BP](rest) 124/78 mm Hg to BP(postsauna) 148/60 mm Hg, heart rate [HR](rest) 64 b.min(-1) to HR(postsauna) 122 b.min(-1)). Oral and tympanic temperature measurements correlated strongly (r(2) = 0.904) and increased by 2.48 and 2.71 degrees C, respectively, during sauna exposure. One repetition maximum (1RM) bench press strength did not differ between the 2 conditions, whereas 1RM leg press strength was significantly decreased (p < 0.05) after the hyperthermic protocol. Subjects' muscular endurance decreased significantly (p < 0.05) in both the leg press (29.2%) and bench press (15.8%) after the sauna exposure. In contrast, muscular power (vertical jump) increased significantly (3.1%, p < 0.5) after acute heat exposure.In agreement with previous studies, we concluded that acute heat exposure is detrimental to muscular endurance; however, the areas of strength and power are far less unequivocal.
-------------------

chronic heart failure, yeah yeah... still another interesting outcome though I think

Repeated sauna treatment improves vascular endothelial and cardiac function in patients with chronic heart failure.

Kihara T, Biro S, Imamura M, Yoshifuku S, Takasaki K, Ikeda Y, Otuji Y, Minagoe S, Toyama Y, Tei C.

First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan.

OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study was to determine the mechanism by which 60 degrees C sauna treatment improves cardiac function in patients with chronic heart failure (CHF). BACKGROUND: We have previously reported that repeated 60 degrees C sauna treatment improves hemodynamic data and clinical symptoms in patients with CHF. We hypothesized that the sauna restores endothelial function and then improves cardiac function. METHODS: Twenty patients (62 plus minus 15 years) in New York Heart Association (NYHA) functional class II or III CHF were treated in a dry sauna at 60 degrees C for 15 min and then kept on bed rest with a blanket for 30 min, daily for two weeks. Ten patients with CHF, matched for age, gender and NYHA functional class, were placed on a bed in a temperature-controlled (24 degrees C) room for 45 min as the nontreated group. Using high-resolution ultrasound, we measured the diameter of the brachial artery at rest and during reactive hyperemia (percent flow-mediated dilation, %FMD: endothelium-dependent dilation), as well as after sublingual administration of nitroglycerin (%NTG: endothelium-independent dilation). Cardiac function was evaluated by measuring the concentrations of plasma brain natriuretic peptide (BNP). RESULTS: Clinical symptoms were improved in 17 of 20 patients after two weeks of sauna therapy. The %FMD after two-week sauna treatment significantly increased from the baseline value, whereas the %NTG-induced dilation did not. Concentrations of BNP after the two-week sauna treatment decreased significantly. In addition, there was a significant correlation between the change in %FMD and the percent improvement in BNP concentrations in the sauna-treated group. In contrast, none of the variables changed at the two-week interval in the nontreated group. CONCLUSIONS: Repeated sauna treatment improves vascular endothelial function, resulting in an improvement in cardiac function and clinical symptoms.
------------------

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Good **** Biggin, I edited in some bold to point out the conclusion, nice work.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
thanks bro, just figured people would read through it all and get the conclusion, but then I realized that when other bros post studies I usually go to the conclusion first and work backwards :D ..there's quite a few more hypohydration/hyperthermic therapy studies but they don't really pertain here... will probaby throw some more up in WW's dehydraion thread

WW's Water Is Goo Fo Yoouu!!!... thread

Andy2k

Awards
I use em to help with muscle relaxation - I find that my back give sme a lot less hassle after 1/2 - 1 hour in the sauna/steam (preferably the sauna)

Jorta

Awards
I like the sauna so much I built one in my house.

It will burn a small amount of calories, and you certainly sweat off a little water and tighten the skin. The effect is most pronounced when you are already really lean and have a low BF like the morning before a BB show.

The best part about though, and the reason I use it is that it is relaxing and invigorating at the same time. It smooths out the muscles, but gets me going mentally.

Someone mentioned sitting in it for 45 minutes - if you can stand it that long you are not really in a sauna! I manage about 15 minutes on average - within 5-8 minutes I'm totally soaked with sweat. 25 minutes and I need to chug a gallon of water when I get out and that is about my max.

I learned the sauna from a hot finnish girlfriend I used to have - if you are able to even _think_ about sex during the sauna then it is not hot enough. Afterwards is another matter.

Jorta