Training programs for people with back injuries.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi all,

Im finding is very difficult to source programs for training in regards to my injury. I have 2 bulged discs.(lowest verts)

In general, looking for guides for recovery, guides with what to stay away from, and what lifts are safer.

Also looking to strenghen core, and what/how do go about it.

Thank you

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
try and find a mckenzie practitioner in your area first and have them recommend what to do. i would recommend going to them with a proven program and let them find alterations to it that will work for you.

http://www.mckenziemdt.org/index_us.cfm

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
There is hope...
In 1999 I had an accident that really messed up my back. I was 90% wheel chair bound and could walk only steps. I went through two back surgeries on disc L4 and L5 in the year 2000. From doing pool exercises I eventually progressed to a walker and then to walking short distances unassisted. I could not even lift dumbells as that would hurt my back, so eventually I purchased a home gym that focused on cables (Bodycraft K2). I stayed away from all deadlifts or anything that would pressure my back. Although I was able to do squats using a machine if I was very careful with form, and kept the reps high and slow. Reps high and slow is the name of the game. No jerking actions.
I figured out how to do some exercises on my back. I use a belt and strap myself to the bench and used the overhead cable to do rows. I pull the cable to my chest. Not too long ago, while doing the on-the-back cable row, I jerked 180lbs and put myself out of commission for two weeks. Again reps high and slow is the name of the game. No jerking actions.
The back problems made me concentrate more on the pull exercises. i.e. I typically do wide-rip pullups with 50lbs 10 times, take off 10lbs and do 10 more times, take off the weight and do 10-15 more, almost non-stop. The point is that you can still have awesome back exercises without push exercises. Although recently I have started adding back in some push exercises which would have previously killed my back. I warm up with 50lbs DB shoulder presses and then do machine military press 20x150lbs, which previously would have killed my back. Notice the quantity of the push exercises higher than most out of concern for my back. The point is that there is hope in being able to push again.
Three years ago I still had to use a wheel chair at museums, airports or other long walks. Today I typically HIIT walk-jog about 1-2 miles a day, every other day, on a treadmill, which is another thing I could never do previously. There is hope.
This is likely the most important thing I can say. The inversion table is a God send. 15 inverted sit-ups before and after each work out pulls the vertebrae apart and realigns everything. The inversion table is mandatory for me and I suggest you too. Previous to the inversion table I was seeing a chiropractor 2x wk. I can't say enough about the inversion table.
For Training Programs I still mix them up i.e. 4x split for a quarter and then switch to HST for a quarter. The main difference is substitution for the exercises and using a cable focused gym.
I have been on pain meds for over 13 years and Thursday will be my second week of stopping Celebrex completely. I have finally stopped the pain meds. I am living proof of hope and hope I can help someone like you. I hope that is some information to get you started, I will help you with any questions, but I am not always on the board but a few times a week.

Last edited:
machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Hi all,

Im finding is very difficult to source programs for training in regards to my injury. I have 2 bulged discs.(lowest verts)

In general, looking for guides for recovery, guides with what to stay away from, and what lifts are safer.

Thank you
be careful and do watever your doctor recommends..you dont wanna fully herniate those discs.that ish hurts like a biotch..your probly gonna have to stay out of the gym for a while.

blueice

Awards
Hi all,

Thank you
You should be very careful when lifting, the mechanics should not stress your lower back like when you lift, your knees will bend, and not your hip. Precautionary measures are given by a doctor or your physiotherapist to prevent further injury to happen again.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My back hirts even when i twist or stand at work :(

I gotta do this MRI and see the final results, then look into PRP injections, or other forms of healing. Im trying to research more on gym in order to strengthen core & keep pressure of lower back.

Chiro told me standing is better than sitting at gym, less pressure. Ill do light weights, controlled reps. It feels uselsss tho! :(

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
try and find a mckenzie practitioner in your area first and have them recommend what to do. i would recommend going to them with a proven program and let them find alterations to it that will work for you.

http://www.mckenziemdt.org/index_us.cfm
Asoon nailed it, find someone that knows what they are doing and can prescribe something accordingly, rather than rely on info from people who may not know what is best in this situation. Better to be safe than sorry

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
End of 2010 my back finally had enough..i had topped out at 700 squat and 611 dead @ B.W. of 198lb . I had been competiting for over 20 yrs. Doctors told me my L4/L5/S1 were blown .. Only about 10% left of disc and my vertabre were already almost fully fused together causing the pain down my leg. They wanted me to give up powerlifting and to have surgery.. No way was i goin to retire on a doctors table or hae surgery. I ve seen too many people come out worse. I told myself i will rehab my self and compete again.

Exercises that i use now

Kettlebell swings
Kettlebell one leg stiff deadlifts
One legged squats with dumbbells
Reverse Hyperextensions
Hyperextensions
Lunges
Shouldering Step ups
Sled work

All core work was done with a variety of planks

A ton of hip, back and hamstring stretches

After of year this i came back this summer and competed. Ended up with 573 squat and 450 dead still at 198.. net bad for not doing a squats or real deads in training.

I plan on this coming year to get my squat back to mid 600, and dead back in the mid 500s..

Just be careful and if you feel something not right stop immediatly .. Dont push through!!!