HIT, Heavy Duty, DC, Blood and Guts, etc...

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
So who here trains HIT or some variation of it? Just wondering how many smart people are here....LOL

For real though, how many low volume high intensity brothers and sisters are here?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DC trainee reporting in. Shoulders finally coming in nicely since July.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It can have its purpose...but insinuating those of us who train with volume are "dumb"........are you trying to start an argument of futility?

Br

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
It can have its purpose...but insinuating those of us who train with volume are "dumb"........are you trying to start an argument of futility?

Br
My god your not serious are you? Geez.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If by serious you mean, stirring the pot of ****............. ;)

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
So to the HITers here.... Be it DC, classic Jones, classic Darden, Yates B&G, Mentzers HD, etc... What's an example or over view of your training? I'll start.

Rt now I train 4Xs a week as follows.
Mon:
Delts and arms
Tues:
Legs
Thursday:
Chest and lt tris
Friday:
Back and lt bis

Each body part usually gets 3-5 total sets. 1 ex stays the same every work out for each body part and the rest changes every work out. Why? That was originally inspired by a study that showed that subjects that performed BB curls 3Xs a week for 6 weeks became more and more efficient at the ex and by the end of 6 weeks they were recruiting 25% FEWER fibers than at the begining of the study. They learned to relax antagonist muscles, learned the most efficient rep speed and path, etc... Makes total sense considering all growth is just an adaptation by your body in an attempt to protect itself and make the demands placed on it as easy as possible.
So why do I keep any exs the same? Well because I believe when it comes to large heavy compound exs there is an adaptation that can't really be measured strictly by fiber recruitment... I believe when I always include ...say.... Incline smith presses and become more and more efficient at the ex that there is an adaptation... An attempt by your body to protect itself by getting thicker just because it is compressed under a heavy load. So I attempt to become as efficient or have my body be as 'intelligent' as possible at one ex for each body part.
The rest of the exs change every workout for each body part. I want my body to be an 'idiot' at any other exs I perform...I go as heavy as I can with good to perfect form. I am a stickler for good form and rep speed. If I happen to choose a wt that's a lill lt for an ex I just slow my reps down to make the ex harder.

An example of a recent chest day.

Incline smith benches for 1 post warm up set.
Weighted dips for 1 set to failure (when an ex is as drastically different in its plain of resistance i will perform a warm up of the new ex)
Seated fly machine 1 set to failure
Seated incline hammer bench 1 set to failure.

After the 1st ex I want the wt to be heavy but its not as important as form. Reps don't really matter to me... I just go for as long as i can. In the above work out I had chosen a wt for the incline hammer that was a lill to lt sp I just slowed my reps down to a rep speed of about 6 or sp seconds for the possitive and negative.

Anyway above is an example of my last chest day... And above that is a BASIC explanation of how I train SOOOO....

Give an example of how you HITers train.

Peace

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DC here

Day A1
Incline Bench
Wide Grip Rows
Dips
Weighted Chinups
Rack Pulls

B1
Barbell Curls
Pinwheel Curls
Leg Press Calf Press
Lying Curls
Hack Squat Machine

A2
Flat Bench
Standing Military Press
Smith Machine JM Press (I sometimes feel this particular smith machine was invented just for this movement)
Weighted Pullups
Deadlifts

B2
Seated Alternating DB Curls
Reverse Grip Curls (Cable Machine)
Hack Squat Calf Raises (my favorite)
Weighted Glut Ham Raises
Leg Press

A3
Decline Bench
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Bent Over BB Rows
T-Bar Rows (neutral, close grip handles)

B3
Seated EZ Bar Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls
Seated Calf Raises
Seated Ham Curls
Squats

I do some other work in between, like abs every leg day, and either reverse pec dec flys or face pulls on A days.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Yea I left out abs, obliques and calves cause I train each once or twice a week, same style (side bends with 120's rt now as an example) training but I just do them on whatever days I have the energy at the end. Abs and obliques are almost always done at the end of delts and arms cause its the easiest day and calves are usually done leg day but if I'm beat... They get done another day. Then I may do abs with chest and obliques with back....but those parts are not really "set".

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
DC here

Day A1
Incline Bench
Wide Grip Rows
Dips
Weighted Chinups
Rack Pulls

B1
Barbell Curls
Pinwheel Curls
Leg Press Calf Press
Lying Curls
Hack Squat Machine

A2
Flat Bench
Standing Military Press
Smith Machine JM Press (I sometimes feel this particular smith machine was invented just for this movement)
Weighted Pullups
Deadlifts

B2
Seated Alternating DB Curls
Reverse Grip Curls (Cable Machine)
Hack Squat Calf Raises (my favorite)
Weighted Glut Ham Raises
Leg Press

A3
Decline Bench
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Bent Over BB Rows
T-Bar Rows (neutral, close grip handles)

B3
Seated EZ Bar Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls
Seated Calf Raises
Seated Ham Curls
Squats

I do some other work in between, like abs every leg day, and either reverse pec dec flys or face pulls on A days.
Are you doing all the standard DC techniques like rest pause and widow maker sets? Just wondering. I throw in rest pause from time to time myself.
I've tried Dantes classic split but I just can't handle doing back and legs a day apart. Just me personally... Too much carry over between the two for me.
I may try his 4 way split some time though. Have you tried that yet? If so, what was your exp with it?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you doing all the standard DC techniques like rest pause and widow maker sets? Just wondering. I throw in rest pause from time to time myself.
I've tried Dantes classic split but I just can't handle doing back and legs a day apart. Just me personally... Too much carry over between the two for me.
I may try his 4 way split some time though. Have you tried that yet? If so, what was your exp with it?
Yeah, absolutely. I rest pause everything but squats, deadlifts, rack pulls, bent over rows, and calf exercises. I also do negatives on everything but the aforementioned (but I do the negatives on calves) plus all other quad exercises; for quad exercises, I do a strength set first then a widowmaker set.

I did forget to mention that I work out every other day, and I think this is key to my own success. Why? When I was doing it 3 days a week, I would stall out on exercises fairly quickly after about 3 weeks (and since I drop the weight after a cruise, what that really means is I stall after only 1 progression). I think this is because doing an exercise every two weeks is far too infrequent for me, since no I have not been working hard with the weights for several years, so I lose that neural adaptation you get by hitting the same movement frequently, thus stalling. Since I started on the every other day routine back in July I believe, I haven't had that problem.

I've never done the 4 way split myself, if you're referring to the one where you do an exercise 3 days straight, break, then do the 4th exercise for that week. I was doing a special routine prescribed to a friend of mine that was pretty different from your standard DC routine, but then he was a pretty special kind of lifter.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
So any other HITers out there?

I've changed my split to chest delts and tris together and back bis and legs the other....I train 3Xs a week and alternate workouts.... Similar to a dc split but I gotta result. Back and legs together cause there is mad carry over.

Come on...any other HITrs?

Peace.