Working out with a cold

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
Is it OK to do? I remember one time I lifted intensely while I had a cold and it made me even sicker. I think someone said once that it is unwise to break down your muscles while sick because you need your immune system to fight the sickness instead of rebuild muscles. Is it OK to do cardio? I'm not terribly sick, just have a stuffy nose and sore throat in the morning. Been going on for a day or two and it sucks sitting at home knowing that I could be getting stronger or exercising my heart.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I think if you have a very mild cold and dont overdo it in the gym then you'll be fine. But if you're suffering pretty bad or have a fever at all, stay home and stay hydrated. Its just counterproductive to lift when sick in my opinion. Its funny I saw this because just today I'm not feeling so hot so I'm skipping the gym tonight. I could just be overtired so I'm going to get a good nights sleep. When in doubt, rest, dont train.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
I usually do cardio in the mornings EoD, wether i'm sick or not. The cardio helps get some blood flowing, opens up your airway and gets that phlegm loose. I dunno, it makes me feel better when I'm done though lol

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Kraker...light cardio to get things moving and loose...but no time with the heavy weights. When I'm sick (rare) I don't have what it takes to really tax myself anyways...so I truly am wasting my time and energy that could be used getting rest and recovering.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I rarely get a cold, but when I do I usually work out with lighter weight and try to sit in the sauna for a few minutes. I consume extra water while I am at the gym as well. I don't recommend it if you have a fever though.

TheAlchemist

Awards
working out while i have a cold usually makes me feel better, maybe its just all in my head

Filthy McNast

Awards
I work out through the colds and mild stuff and it always makes me feel better. I won't try to exercise with an Upper Respiratory infection or sinus infection or the Flu.

ILiftBig

Awards
I am the worst about not having the good sense to take a break. One year I had a cold that the eventually developed into bronchitis and then pneumonia. I had already committed to a contest so I just kept going. After the contest I ended up in the hospital for a day.

My doctor told me that had I taken a week off to get well I might have never gone this far. Normally training increases your white blood cells and other defense mechanisms, thus helping you to stay healthy. However, when you are sick, you body needs every bit of the nutrients you take in and REST to heal itself. You are adding extra stress on you body when you are sick and train so it is unable to optimally heal. This will at the least slow the process and at the worst may cause what you have to progress into some much worse.

In the end, its probably much better to take a week off and heal properly than push you self over the edge and perhaps have to take more than a week off undoing the damage.