Choline citrate & bitartrate?

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Awards
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good source of Choline. So far i've seen Choline Bitartrate, Choline Citrate and Alpha GPC, the latter being the most effective but also the most expensive. Since money doesn't grow on trees i'm mostly interested in Choline Bitartrate/Citrate but I have no idea what the difference is between them. The interweb has good descriptions but so far i've found none that actually compare bitartrate VS citrate. Ofcourse i'm looking for the one with the greatest bioavailability but I need your help.

Anyone experienced with this? :D

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Quoted from http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/smart-nutrients-01.php

"Choline is available in several forms, including choline bitartrate, choline chloride, phosphatidyl choline, and choline citrate. Choline bitartrate and choline chloride can sometimes cause diarrhea at doses high enough to give you cognition enhancement effects. Phosphatidyl choline is great for cell membrane integrity but, to get high amounts of active choline, you would need to take several spoonfuls of it. Choline citrate is the preferred form for getting sufficient levels of active choline with the least likelihood of unwanted side effects. "

seems they are all good to take - but based on possible side effects if taken to much, Choline citrate is preferred.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
i know a lot of people use lecithin as a source for choline. anyone know what form of choline is in lecithin?

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lecithin is considered an excellent source of choline, one of the B vitamins. Once in the body, a key component of lecithin--phosphatidylcholine--breaks down into choline.

shct
mr_min

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Awards

"Choline is available in several forms, including choline bitartrate, choline chloride, phosphatidyl choline, and choline citrate. Choline bitartrate and choline chloride can sometimes cause diarrhea at doses high enough to give you cognition enhancement effects. Phosphatidyl choline is great for cell membrane integrity but, to get high amounts of active choline, you would need to take several spoonfuls of it. Choline citrate is the preferred form for getting sufficient levels of active choline with the least likelihood of unwanted side effects. "

seems they are all good to take - but based on possible side effects if taken to much, Choline citrate is preferred.
Wow thanks, you have no idea how happy I am with this :D
I've spent tons of time searching for this vital information! Thanks a million!

VitaminT

Awards
Choline Chloride is perfectly safe (no diarrhea) unless you are taking way too much of it. It isn't very convienient to take around, but Choline Bitartrate is. Avoid Bitartrate tablets as they have been anecdotaly known to cause stomach problems unless eaten with food. Personally, I'd stay away from the bitartrate capsules with inosotol as well. Seems to cause stomach issues at higher doses. Similar issues with high dose Phosphatidyl. No issues experienced with bitartrate capsules though and seems to work about 1:1 to chloride. Do not take Choline at night, especially at high doses, or you may not be able to sleep. Never tried Choline Citrate; probably works as good as choride and bitartrate though.

kappaz

Banned
Awards

That's interesting. I took Choline bitartrate for a while and never had any diarrhea or stomach discomfort

dlancelot

Awards
subcutaneous

This is a great fairly new technology that not a lot of people know about...would make the diarrhea and other stomach related problems a non issue.

I have a needle free injector system, and some piracetam, I was thinking that including choline in the injection would be smart (no pun there) (I've read they work synergistically together?). If this is the case, and a person wants best results (for the mind and the body) would you choose Choline Citrate, Bitartrate, or other? Any ideas dosages? I've been reading about lab rat testing and mg/kg/day numbers...piracetam looks to be about .2 mg/kg/day, and choline about 1mg/kg/day, but I haven't done a lot of reading on either, suggestions?

workouttek

Awards
If I happen to purchase a bottle of choline bitartrate accidently instead of all the other wiser choices how much of it should I be taking(One tablet is 500mg)?

I'm obviously going to switch over, but I rather finish this bottle if possible. Although, if anyone wants to learn from my mistake, and utilize all my research here you go!

(Although, due to certain obligations I cannot post the Full articles on some of these scientific literature, I will give you the Title & Author.)

Nutritional Importance of Choline for Brain Development
Steven H. Zeisel, MD, PhD

Decreased Brain Choline Uptake in Older Adults
Bruce M. Cohen

I would strongly encourage reading those if you get a chance, and if you are pretty familiar with that sort of literature. I have a few others, but just check those out first.

Additionally, here is a link I came across some guy with a pretty intense nootropic regimen, and wanted to see if any of you guys on here knew anything about what he is talking about? He talks about:

1) Piracetam
2) CDPCholine
3) Either sulbutiamine or pyritinol

imminst(dot)org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36691
(You guys will have to fix the URL, as I am a new member I cannot post URLs yet.)

workouttek

Awards
Choline Amount?

from SHCT's post earlier, I looked at the link and...

From that website it says 1,000-3,000mg, can anyone verify this? I've read significantly lower numbers in other places.

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
i ordered bitrarte online and it says just keep it under 8g a day. i dont recommend the choline chloride; that form is the sole reason why there are warnings of a fishy body odor that developes from your person at high levels; evidentally bacteria react with choline chloride to produce a stinky byproduct. this is not true of the other forms.
ive been taking bitrarte for about a week at6g a day with no side effects. ifeel allittle sharper and at times i feel like flexing more

peachsnapz

Awards
What is the name of the injector system and how much do they go for? I'd love to get something like that.

This is a great fairly new technology that not a lot of people know about...would make the diarrhea and other stomach related problems a non issue.

I have a needle free injector system, and some piracetam, I was thinking that including choline in the injection would be smart (no pun there) (I've read they work synergistically together?). If this is the case, and a person wants best results (for the mind and the body) would you choose Choline Citrate, Bitartrate, or other? Any ideas dosages? I've been reading about lab rat testing and mg/kg/day numbers...piracetam looks to be about .2 mg/kg/day, and choline about 1mg/kg/day, but I haven't done a lot of reading on either, suggestions?