Bad news for Berberine?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
it's coming up as page not found. Do you have another link or the title and author of the study?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Im science illiterate, is this Berberine study pretty much bad news for the the hypertrophy minded folks?
https://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpendo.00256.2018?fbcl****IwAR3BjkmmwjmpMZkrCi1qPPAR0OosgqW31XVoLTNMdoYKzWdRQNzg6r0nkiA&
No.

I'm not really sure what you think it's saying, but do remember that berberine is a AMPK activator, which essentially is the pathway that promotes breakdown which competes against mTOR which is the building pathway.

That doesn't mean you cannot gain muscle while using berberine. That would be akin to saying that you cannot run and do weights and expect muscle growth. You can. You just have to be smart about it.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
None of this paper is really relevant for most peoples' interest here. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
from what I can tell, berberine lowered serum bcaa levels in the high fat diet rats. This suggests to me an insulin mimetic type action. Nothing surprising there.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Also their intro sentence is very much a typical misunderstanding of obesity pathogenesis. Sure, a correlation between elevated serum bcaas exists in a state of obesity, however it definitely isn't the cause of it.

From that alone i would have stopped reading lol

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Resistance training also boosts AmpK for about an hour post, but your still able to gain muscle. Albeit it’s not as long as berberine does, but you probably ain’t got much to worry about.