Expired/close to expiring Protein

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Hey just interested in everyone's thoughts on expired or close to expiring protein powders.

I know as far as others supps like pwo's and fat burners they are just fine or maybe slightly less potent but how about protein? Can it actually go bad?

Thanks!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From what I understand, the issue results from the breakdown of lysine. But I think we're talking over period of several months, especially if it's stored in a hot environment.

Drink up, you'll be fine

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
With protein powder since it is essentially powdered food I always tread with caution as you get close to or past the expiration date. Does it smell ok? Make a small shake and see if it tastes ok and make sure you dont have any bad reactions.

You make it past those and I would think you should fine. I have eaten protein bars and used a bunch of protein powder past the expiration date and I have never had any adverse reaction. Hell I ate a protein bar a few hours ago that expired in December

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
With protein powder since it is essentially powdered food I always tread with caution as you get close to or past the expiration date. Does it smell ok? Make a small shake and see if it tastes ok and make sure you dont have any bad reactions.

You make it past those and I would think you should fine. I have eaten protein bars and used a bunch of protein powder past the expiration date and I have never had any adverse reaction. Hell I ate a protein bar a few hours ago that expired in December
Lol I can get some ON bars 12 for $10 expired in Dec lol

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
From what I understand, the issue results from the breakdown of lysine. But I think we're talking over period of several months, especially if it's stored in a hot environment.

Drink up, you'll be fine
You are a smart muthafcker. Just sayin'

I don't recommend doing anything that I do or have done, but here is my experience. I have or had loads of pills and powders that expired as far back as 2002. Like Adipokinetix. For the most part, stuff well past its expiration just seems to be ineffective at worst.

I had used protein powders that were at various points past their expiration and these are a little bit different because they are powders and not sealed in caps. If it is bad, I mean REALLY bad, you will know. It will just taste horrid and you probably won't drink enough to get sick from it. That's if it hasn't gummed up or hardened to a brick already.

It may be less effective, but it won't make you sick to try unless it is really bad.

IME, if I found a tub of protein in a cabinet that was stored in a dry spot and was, I don't know, 12-18 months out of code- I would mix it up and use it. If it was 19+ months....I would be more hesitant.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
You are a smart muthafcker. Just sayin'

I don't recommend doing anything that I do or have done, but here is my experience. I have or had loads of pills and powders that expired as far back as 2002. Like Adipokinetix. For the most part, stuff well past its expiration just seems to be ineffective at worst.

I had used protein powders that were at various points past their expiration and these are a little bit different because they are powders and not sealed in caps. If it is bad, I mean REALLY bad, you will know. It will just taste horrid and you probably won't drink enough to get sick from it. That's if it hasn't gummed up or hardened to a brick already.

It may be less effective, but it won't make you sick to try unless it is really bad.

IME, if I found a tub of protein in a cabinet that was stored in a dry spot and was, I don't know, 12-18 months out of code- I would mix it up and use it. If it was 19+ months....I would be more hesitant.
Thanks guys! Going to pull the trigger! The protein doesn't expire until march 31st so even better!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey just interested in everyone's thoughts on expired or close to expiring protein powders.

I know as far as others supps like pwo's and fat burners they are just fine or maybe slightly less potent but how about protein? Can it actually go bad?

Thanks!
If it's only a couple months expired or close to expiration date you're fine. If it's like 6 months or over expired I will usually just get a new tub.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There are companies that specialize in supps that are either very close or at expiration. Seems to be a big business.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Unless it smells Rancid, drink that ish!