B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How To Cure A Hangover

Truthfully, the only difference between you and hangover experts is time. If you'll invest a little more time in reading, you'll be that much nearer to expert status when it comes to hangover.

CURE A HANGOVER

Pounding headache? Nausea? Dry mouth? Dizziness? Weakness? Trembling? Feeling like you got hit by a train last night? There are all symptoms of a nasty hangover.

Some people are bothered by hangovers a lot more than others. Unfortunately, I'm one of those unlucky people who get the really bad ones, which has prompted me to do a lot of research on how to prevent hangovers the night before and the best way to cure hangovers the next morning.

WHY WE GET HANGOVERS

One big reason why you feel like **** is because you're severely dehydrated. Alcohol has a diuretic effect, which is why you have to piss so much when you drink alcohol, and you lose more fluids than you gain throughout the night. Another cause of hangovers is from congeners, the byproducts from fermentation. Some people are capable of breaking down these byproducts better than others and that's one of the reasons why people like me get worse hangovers than others. As you could've guessed it, dark liquors and red wine have the greatest amount of these toxins, and that's why they give you the worst hangovers. There's many other causes of hangovers, but rather than get too scientific, I'm going to talk about the best ways to cure a hangover.

WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE NIGHT BEGINS

I'm sure you've heard this one before ... Eat a full meal! By eating a full meal, you will slow down the absorption of the alcohol. I always try to eat something with a lot of carbs - like bread or pasta. Fatty foods are also a good idea because the fat will stick to your stomach lining. Also, take a multivitamin with your meal and make sure you drink plenty of water because you'll be dehydrating yourself soon enough.

WHAT TO DO THE NIGHT OF DRINKING

There's a lot more that you can do the night of drinking to prevent a hangover rather than wait until the next morning. The single best thing that you can do is to drink as much water as possible! Whenever the night is winding down, I stop drinking alcohol and start drinking as many cups of water as physically possible. If you're at the bar, bartenders will be happy to give you free ice water. This method works like a charm. I can get completely **** faced, come home and drink as much water as I can while I do the normal drunk things I do like IM random people and raid the fridge, and I'll wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed. I also usually try to eat something. If for no other reason, it's going to be a lot easier to eat something the night before than the morning after when you've lost your appetite. Besides, drunk cooking is fun! Also, let time pass before passing out for the night. I don't see the point in drinking alcohol right up until the point that you go to bed. You're just drinking to make yourself more hungover. Why do you want to be drunk while you're asleep? Instead, let your buzz run it's course, it'll last for hours. Lastly, walk home if possible. It seems like any night when I've had to walk home after a long night of buzzing, I'm a lot less hungover.

HOME REMEDIES - WHAT TO DO THE MORNING AFTER

There's countless remedies for curing a hangover but here are some of the best ones that I've heard.

DRINK ALCOHOL This does work if you can actually stomach drinking more alcohol the next morning. However, you're only delaying the inevitable. When you finally stop drinking, not only will your hangover catch up to you, but you'll also feel like a complete alcoholic. (for good reason, drunky!)

DRINK WATER, JUICE, MILK, ETC. Although it will help you more if you drink water the night before, you still want to keep drinking as many fluids as you can the next morning. One of my friends swears that drinking chocolate milk works for her. I prefer orange juice. Just avoid drinking any caffeinated beverages, which will dehydrate you.

REPLENISH YOUR ELECTROLYTES You lost a lot of electrolytes the night before from all the pissing and especially if you threw up. Sports drinks like Gatorade are your best friend. Or, if this hangover is really extreme, you could buy a bottle of PediaLyte. That's what you give babies if they've been throwing up or have had diarrhea. I've heard this works so I tried it once but I thought the stuff tasted disgusting.

EAT BREAKFAST You should never skip breakfast, especially when you're hungover. The classic eggs and toast is your best bet. Get something in your stomach quick, before you feel too sick to eat, and then you're really screwed. It's been said that eating bananas is a good idea too b/c of the potassium in them. Sounds good to me. I love bananas.

TAKE YOUR PAIN KILLER OF CHOICE I think this one's kind of a no brainer but just to cover everything, you should absolutely pop a few tylenols, aspirins, ibprofens, whatever to get rid of that pounding headache! Take them the night before for that matter!

So now you know a little bit about hangover. Even if you don't know everything, you've done something worthwhile: you've expanded your knowledge.

Ultraherbal - Natural Remedies Stop Hangovers Before They Start WEBSITE.WS - Your Internet Address For Life™

By: P Joseph Malacara

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One morning while trying to get myself to lift after a very rough night I took a double dose of NOxplode and *poof* hangover was gone, my 58yr old mom was extremely hungover after a family get together, gave her some NOxplode and *poof* hangover was gone
I'm guessing its the electrolytes and b vitamins that are doing the trick

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Menudo is another thing I've been told/heard that cures a hangover. :)

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
NEVER use tylenol for a hangover,destroys your liver.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DRINK ALCOHOL This does work if you can actually stomach drinking more alcohol the next morning. However, you're only delaying the inevitable. When you finally stop drinking, not only will your hangover catch up to you, but you'll also feel like a complete alcoholic. (for good reason, drunky!)
The trick is to NOT stop drinking :alcoholic:

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How To Cure A Hangover

REPLENISH YOUR ELECTROLYTES You lost a lot of electrolytes the night before from all the pissing and especially if you threw up. Sports drinks like Gatorade are your best friend. Or, if this hangover is really extreme, you could buy a bottle of PediaLyte. That's what you give babies if they've been throwing up or have had diarrhea. I've heard this works so I tried it once but I thought the stuff tasted disgusting.
Thats the money right there.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
no the trick is to saty up all night with as many girls ass u can and f#@k the hangover out of yer self then when u dont feel drunk go to bed lmao

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Guys, got one word for you: Berrocca. (you haave that in states yeah) I am an Aussie and a BIG drinker. I will promise you this. 2 berrocca in bout 500-700mls of water directly before crashing out and you WILL NOT wake with a hangover. I absolutely gaurantee. Try it. :D

Heartless88

Heartless88

Awards
I always wake up to myself grabbing a glass or OJ and a pj sandwhich crash out and wake up and do the same thing over and I am goood.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
BiO's remedy;

Pre-emptive: 2 Emergen-C packets, 300 mg of ALA and 1 gram of NAC before during and after drinking binge.

Post-Binge Recovery (PBR); Poseidon, tortilla chips, and possibly some additional potassium bicarbonate with lots and lots of water.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Waking up to a BJ can help the situation out a good amount

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
NEVER use tylenol for a hangover,destroys your liver.
Is your liver gone? Or are you going off the fact that tylenol CAN be fatal to the liver? If you take some tylenol in the morning, depending on how much sleep and you drank the last night will determine how your liver is functioning.

But if your liver is gone id love to hear how taking tylenol for a hangover destroyed it.

tims03redfire

Awards
CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a fan of the tried and true Intravenous Fluids (IV). God how many times I've had my Marines stick me with IV's right after I've hooked them up. Works so well we get up for a 3-5 mile run in the AM quite often.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup, IV Fluid replacement FTW, absolutely no comparison. Couple that with what we call a G.I Cocktail (30cc Maalox/10cc Viscous Lidocaine/10cc Donnatol), and you're good to go.

For those that are lucky enough to have that as an option that is. ;)

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I'm a fan of the tried and true Intravenous Fluids (IV). God how many times I've had my Marines stick me with IV's right after I've hooked them up. Works so well we get up for a 3-5 mile run in the AM quite often.
And this happens at home? Im in the military and ive never heard of that being a "walk in" option.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is your liver gone? Or are you going off the fact that tylenol CAN be fatal to the liver? If you take some tylenol in the morning, depending on how much sleep and you drank the last night will determine how your liver is functioning.

But if your liver is gone id love to hear how taking tylenol for a hangover destroyed it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18486561?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Impact of liver disease, alcohol abuse, and unintentional ingestions on the outcomes of acetaminophen overdose.
Myers RP, Shaheen AA, Li B, Dean S, Quan H.

Liver Unit, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. [email protected]

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Acetaminophen overdose is the most common cause of acute liver failure in the U.S. and other Western countries. Unintentional overdoses, alcohol abuse, and underlying liver disease might increase the risk of hepatotoxicity. In this population-based study, we examined outcomes of acetaminophen overdose, with particular attention to these risk factors. METHODS: Patients hospitalized for acetaminophen overdose between 1995 and 2004 were identified retrospectively by using administrative data. Comorbid conditions, suicidal intent, and hepatotoxicity were identified by using International Classification of Diseases-Ninth Revision-Clinical Modification and International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Health-Related Problems, 10th revision diagnostic codes. RESULTS: During the 10-year interval, 1543 patients were hospitalized for acetaminophen overdose; 34% were alcohol abusers, 3% had liver disease, and 13% overdosed unintentionally. Seventy patients (4.5%) developed hepatotoxicity. Unintentional overdoses (odds ratio [OR], 5.18; 95% confidence interval [CI], 3.00-8.95), alcohol abuse (OR, 2.21; 95% CI, 1.30-3.76), underlying liver disease (OR, 3.50; 95% CI, 1.57-7.77), and N-acetylcysteine treatment (OR, 6.75; 95% CI, 2.78-16.39) were independently associated with hepatotoxicity. Fifteen patients (1.0%) died in-hospital; risk factors included older age, unintentional overdoses, alcohol abuse, comorbidities including liver disease, and hepatotoxicity (14% vs 0.3%; P < .0005). During a median follow-up of 5.2 years (range, 1 day-11.0 years), 79 patients (5.1%) died. Approximately half of these deaths were due to preventable conditions including suicide, substance abuse, and trauma. CONCLUSIONS: In this population-based study, acetaminophen overdose had a relatively benign short-term course but was associated with substantial long-term mortality caused by preventable conditions. Acetaminophen-related hepatotoxicity is more common in patients with unintentional overdoses, alcohol abuse, and underlying liver disease.

PMID: 18486561 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And this happens at home? Im in the military and ive never heard of that being a "walk in" option.
Well, I'm a Navy Corpsman so it's sort of my thing. Yeah, it's barracks medicine, not you typical sick call.

Oh and I second and thirds that on the GI cocktail. Say good by upset stomach and adios heartburn.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, I'm a Navy Corpsman so it's sort of my thing. Yeah, it's barracks medicine, not you typical sick call.

Oh and I second and thirds that on the GI cocktail. Say good by upset stomach and adios heartburn.
Damn I wish I was mates with you Medics! :laugh:

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18486561?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Impact of liver disease, alcohol abuse, and unintentional ingestions on the outcomes of acetaminophen overdose.
Myers RP, Shaheen AA, Li B, Dean S, Quan H.

Liver Unit, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. [email protected]

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Acetaminophen overdose is the most common cause of acute liver failure in the U.S. and other Western countries. Unintentional overdoses, alcohol abuse, and underlying liver disease might increase the risk of hepatotoxicity. In this population-based study, we examined outcomes of acetaminophen overdose, with particular attention to these risk factors. METHODS: Patients hospitalized for acetaminophen overdose between 1995 and 2004 were identified retrospectively by using administrative data. Comorbid conditions, suicidal intent, and hepatotoxicity were identified by using International Classification of Diseases-Ninth Revision-Clinical Modification and International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Health-Related Problems, 10th revision diagnostic codes. RESULTS: During the 10-year interval, 1543 patients were hospitalized for acetaminophen overdose; 34% were alcohol abusers, 3% had liver disease, and 13% overdosed unintentionally. Seventy patients (4.5%) developed hepatotoxicity. Unintentional overdoses (odds ratio [OR], 5.18; 95% confidence interval [CI], 3.00-8.95), alcohol abuse (OR, 2.21; 95% CI, 1.30-3.76), underlying liver disease (OR, 3.50; 95% CI, 1.57-7.77), and N-acetylcysteine treatment (OR, 6.75; 95% CI, 2.78-16.39) were independently associated with hepatotoxicity. Fifteen patients (1.0%) died in-hospital; risk factors included older age, unintentional overdoses, alcohol abuse, comorbidities including liver disease, and hepatotoxicity (14% vs 0.3%; P < .0005). During a median follow-up of 5.2 years (range, 1 day-11.0 years), 79 patients (5.1%) died. Approximately half of these deaths were due to preventable conditions including suicide, substance abuse, and trauma. CONCLUSIONS: In this population-based study, acetaminophen overdose had a relatively benign short-term course but was associated with substantial long-term mortality caused by preventable conditions. Acetaminophen-related hepatotoxicity is more common in patients with unintentional overdoses, alcohol abuse, and underlying liver disease.

PMID: 18486561 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Thanks for answering this for me. I thought everyone knew this by now.