IF and protein macros

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I've found that I shouldn't consume more than 50g protein per meal from whey, fish, eggs or poultry or else I'll get flatulence (a sign of gluconeogenesis suggesting I've consumed too much protein). I'm intermittent fasting atm and have a 6-8 hour eating window each day depending on my schedule. I'm ~170lbs and consume ~200g protein daily as I'm recomping atm but sometimes have trouble hitting my protein macros as if I allow time for digestion the window is too short sometimes.

How have you guys been hitting your protein macros and could you offer any advice?

I'm considering supplementing with protease but I'm not sure if that would reduce the amount of protein I can have in one sitting. I mean if it speeds up digestion and faster absorbing proteins need to be consumed in smaller portions then protease may make it so that you would need to consume smaller meals

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Adding in enzymes might be helpful. How long have you been doing IF for? Do you find IF to be helpful or beneficial over a traditional diet? If you're struggling to digest your food and protein in a short window you might want to consider switching from IF to a more traditional meal timing strategy. If you're tracking calories then it doesn't make much difference when you consume your calories

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^^^^^This. I've done IF for a number of years, but mainly because it fit my schedule. Recently changed that up and am having a much easier time hitting my protein macros.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been doing 6-8h IF for a year and a half now. On days when I know I'll be busy in the afternoon and evening I won't do IF and will eat earlier in the day. On some days tho I overestimate how much time I'll have for scheduled eating in the evening and find myself trying to squeeze more meals in.
I've been considering getting some digestive enzymes but I haven't been sure about how much they'd help. Might give them a go tho

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^^This. I've done IF for a number of years, but mainly because it fit my schedule. Recently changed that up and am having a much easier time hitting my protein macros.
I did IF for a long time through college for scheduling reasons as well. Between interning and classes it just made sense. I fell into the "magical" hype of IF, but came to find that there was no difference once I stopped doing it. If you count macros and you are consistent, IF has no true benefit over a standard dieting setup. IF simply allows you to eat larger meals.

OP - You might want to save the IF strategy for cutting and focus on consistent meal timing during your lean bulk. Just my 2c