Pork to Replace Fish for Heart-Healthy Acids?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Pork to Replace Fish for Heart-Healthy Acids?

Scientists report they have created pigs that produce omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to improve heart function and help reduce the risks for heart disease. These are the first cloned, transgenic livestock in the world that can make the beneficial compound.

The research could be a boost to farmers and health-conscious consumers seeking an alternative and safer source of omega-3 fatty acids. Currently, the only way for humans to realize the benefits of omega-3 is by taking dietary supplements or eating certain types of fish (that also contain high levels of mercury).

"Pigs and humans have a similar physiology," notes Randy Prather, professor of reproductive biology at the University of Missouri, Columbia. "We could use these animals as a model to see what happens to heart health if we increase the omega-3 levels in the body.

"It could allow us to see how that helps cardiovascular function. If these animals are put into the food chain, there could be other potential benefits. First, the pigs could have better cardiovascular function and therefore live longer, which would limit livestock loss for farmers. Second, they could be healthier animals for human consumption."

"While fish, especially salmon and tuna, is one of the best food sources of omega-3 fatty acids, we have been warned to limit consumption because of high mercury levels," adds Yifan Dai, associate professor of surgery at the University of Pittsburgh (Pa.) School of Medicine's Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute. "These animals could represent an alternative source as well as be an ideal model for studying cardiovascular disease and autoimmune disorders."

"Livestock with a healthy ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids may be a promising way to rebalance the modern diet without relying solely on diminishing fish supplies or supplements," continues Jing X. Kang, associate professor of medicine at Harvard University in Cambridge, Mass.

The production of these pigs provides researchers with numerous opportunities to conduct studies not previously possible. For example, scientists may use them to determine how higher omega-3 levels and exercise could affect the cardiovascular system.

Source: USA Today. Powered by Yellowbrix.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I love pork the most delicious of the "cloven hoofed" animals.

Most of the health issues people experience with pork have been related to the pig feed;

Too much corn and grain !!!

Not enough roots and grasses!

However, I am very dubious on anything "transgenic" or clones in general.

I like my pork the old fashion way;

...one pig f*cking another pig !!!