Anyone use an electric razor?

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking about buying one. Been using mach 3's for like the past 2 years, but the old electrix razors i went through never really got rid of stubble, and left just enough to make it look like i had dirt on my face..lol, haven't really messed w/ them since.

Wondering if any of you bro's use them, and which models are worthwhile. I almost bought that remington triple blade shaver for $85 but i figured i'd ask first before i bought it, i don't wanna end up w/ a crap razor after spending money i could spend on supps instead =)

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I like that Norelco electric shaver with the soothing shave gel cartridge.. I think it's Norelco, can't remember, but I got a good shave from it when I had one..

theSCHICK

Awards
I use one, but I still have issues with them. I still get razor burn on my neck, regardless of which one I choose.

From what I hear, norelco makes the best electric razor. I personaly own a remington.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I used have one of the small braun shavers when I was still in the Army, I liked it but it was for field use only.. didn't cut as close as I wanted it to other than in the field. I have toyed with the idea of gettin' one myself..

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
those mach 3 blades get hella expensive....i was thinking since i pay $13 for 2 months of blades, i might as well just fork out once and get something nice, but i don't wanna spend the money and never use it cause it doesn't cut that close.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Which company is it that has the shaver that has the built in self cleaning function on it? just put in the base and it cleans itself

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
lol i have no idea matthew.

i just went to amazon.com and read a bunch of reviews turns out no electric razor cuts anywhere near to regular blades, so i guess i'm gonna just stick to those. =\

bummer.

FishBonz

I switched over to an electric awhile back do to ingrown hairs from a regular razor. I too was getting burns on my neck until someone told me to use baby powder on my face berfore shaving. This has made all the difference in the world. The powder absorbs any moisture on the skin and lets the razor slide smoothly without burning the skin. I've been using baby powder for 5 years now and it works great.

FB

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
very cool idea. so have you had many ingrown hairs after switching?

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I almost bought that remington triple blade shaver for $85 but i figured i'd ask first before i bought it, i don't wanna end up w/ a crap razor after spending money i could spend on supps instead =)
I use a Remington triple blade rotary, and it's pretty nice bro. The shave is pretty close, and razor burn is minimal (zero razor burn when I use shaving cream). As for a comparison of Mach 3 vs. Remington, I'd go with the Remington for two reasons. The first, is that I find it gentler on my skin. Secondly, when you count up all of the new blades you've had to buy for your Mach 3, the price is probably higher than the one time fee for the Remington.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1929928&cat=4716&type=1&dept=4044&path=0:4044:36290:91566:4716

FishBonz

very cool idea. so have you had many ingrown hairs after switching?
Very few if any.

Using the electric shaver cuts the hair just close enough to the skin that the hair doesn't recede back under the skin. As with razors, they lift and cut the hair so short that it goes back down under the skin and can cause possible ingrown hairs.

Been working great for me especially after using the powder.

FB

stefoost

Awards
I switched from using Mach IIIs to a Narelco 8894XL (top of the line, but everyone told me if I was going to buy one, get the best or I would be very dissapointed). I've been using this for over a year now and I must say it is an excellent shaver which provides a very nice shave. I juse a pre-electric shave as well as after-shave and have no skin (shaving is very unfriendly to my face) problems whatsoever. Keep in mind that you'll need new blades once a year (mine were ~$35 at Wallmart).

I recommend it, just get a good one.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I switched from mach III to a good norelco a couple of years ago. I always had probs with ingrown hairs. The norelco is quick, convenient, and I don't get any ingrown hairs, but I've had trouble with razor burn, even with lectric shave (pre-shave lub). I tried FishBonz's baby powder idea yesterday and today - man it's great! No more burn, and the closest, smoothest shave I've ever had from an electric! Anyone with an electric needs to try this. Thanks FishBonz!

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Braun makes one that is self-cleaning. I've been thinking about picking one up but it's like $125. Plus, I haven't had good luck with electric razors in the past. I really don't want to spend $125 and find out that it doesn't cut as close as I'd like it to.