Should i cut or bulk? not sure what to do

hazepwns

Awards
I'm 22 years old, 5'8 and weigh 164.5 lbs. I lifted before but I stopped for 2 years and just came back a week go to be more serious on lifting and bodybuilding. Idk if I should cut or bulk? It seems like I have a bit amount of fat.

Attachments

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Reduce calories, do cardio or hiit
2 or 3 times per week with low weight high reps.
Alternatively, up calories and lift heavy weights with low reps, then do your cut

hazepwns

Awards
Thank you for the advices, wasn't sure if I should cut or not because some people were saying is better to bulk to have more muscle than cut but I feel a bit fat. Is cardio a must to lose fat or is just better in the long run for losing fat and better health?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would eat at a small surplus. Honestly, if you cut, you'll just be skin and bones.

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would eat at a small surplus. Honestly, if you cut, you'll just be skin and bones.
That's true as well, is recommend cutting your body fat first, then going into a bulk though, you're sitting on quite a few extra lbs right now

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for the advices, wasn't sure if I should cut or not because some people were saying is better to bulk to have more muscle than cut but I feel a bit fat. Is cardio a must to lose fat or is just better in the long run for losing fat and better health?
It's calories in vs calories out, cardio helps make it easier to be at a negative intake, however it's not necessary at all to cut if your diet is on point.

hazepwns

Awards
Would you say cutting from 164.5 to 150 would be ideal or it really just depends on how I look in the mirror? Currently I'm eating at a 500 calorie deficit of my maintenance

Bcr50

Bcr50

Awards
I say spend the next few months eating a small surplus and do a trusted program ( Ex. Stronglifts 5 x5). This will allow you to develop a strong foundation that is "worth" cutting down to!

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would you say cutting from 164.5 to 150 would be ideal or it really just depends on how I look in the mirror? Currently I'm eating at a 500 calorie deficit of my maintenance
Id to based off of body fat not weight, but honestly at 5'8 you'll be even lighter than that is your wanted to get down low. Id just try to get down to 15 and see how you feel before going down to 12% or less, because like the others Saia you'll look like skin and bones even though you'll be lean. I had the same issue.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I'd say cut, you bulk now and you'll just get fatter then you'll have to cut for a depressingly long time after just for a minuscule amount of muscle. Cut now and in 3/4 months you'll be ready to bulk. Cutting will teach you how to calculate and monitor your macros as well which will serve you well when it's time to bulk up. Plus you'll build a small bit of muscle as you're just starting back.

Btw you probably have about 20-25lb or so to lose before you should think about a bulk.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree about cutting right now to about 15% bf. If you start bulking right now it will be a long cut after that bulk