BF estimate, and should I keep cutting, or clean bulk?

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
I've dropped from 87kg to 72.2 right now, at 1.68m height, 21 years old. I think I'm around 16%bf, what is your estimate? Should I keep cutting until I get to 10% and bulk up properly after that or will I look too scrawny with no muscle?
I have increased vascularity on arms calves lower abs now, but I still seem to have quite a bit of fat

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Body Fat.jpg

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What’s the point of this thread if you don’t add a picture of you so we can help you estimate your BF? Without a picture I’ll say 18-19% since most people think they’re leaner than they actually are.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you just want an answer about cutting on bulking let’s say you’re 16%. Obviously cutting. 16% is the fattest I ever want to be by the time my bulk is ENDING. it’s around the time I’m like yeah time to cut back down. I usually start a bulk at 9-10% minimum

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
If you just want an answer about cutting on bulking let’s say you’re 16%. Obviously cutting. 16% is the fattest I ever want to be by the time my bulk is ENDING. it’s around the time I’m like yeah time to cut back down. I usually start a bulk at 9-10% minimum
Sorry man, I added a photo to the other posts. Had en error on Tapatalk and unfortunately uploaded the same post 5 times, and can't delete the extras.
IMG_20210627_122323.jpg

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
16-17% seems like a reasonable guess. I wouldn’t think you’re higher than that
Okay thanks for the input man! I am currently at 1900 cals, 166g p 166g c 63g f. I go to the gym 4 times a week, and run 2 miles 5 days a week, sometimes I'll do a 5k as well. Should I go more aggressive on the cut or increase cardio? Cause I seem to have hit a plateu.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Old Spice ?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always use the sedentary in the tdee calculators, I feel like I'm not active enough. Should.i.do the slightly active and see from there?
Based on gym 4x a week and running two miles 5 days a week you definitely aren’t sedentary. You’re more active than most people I would venture to say. agreed with the percentages above as well.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Based on gym 4x a week and running two miles 5 days a week you definitely aren’t sedentary. You’re more active than most people I would venture to say. agreed with the percentages above as well.
What's this "running" word you have used I'm not too familiar with it?! ;)

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
What's this "running" word you have used I'm not too familiar with it?! ;)
I wasn't familiar at all with it as well. But a few positions opened in the military for work in the sf and the athletic tests needed a 6 minute mile just to be competitive and 10 pullups. So I had to loose weight and build up endurance for running, something I've never done since I was doing powerlifting training these years. Now I dropped from 88-89 to 72kg and run a 5.10 mile and 25 wide grip pullups non stop. Since I've gotten to that point I said **** it why don I cut properly down to 10% and do a proper bulk after that for once?

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Derek mpmd makes a good point that there's a limit where you cut carolies too low and it's detrimental to progress, your not getting enough volume of food and calories and your body thinks its being starved, your metabolism drops, you lose muscle, you stop losing fat. With that in mind maybe it's better to increase expenditure than cut calories, also reverse dieting is something to look into, gradually increasing calories when weight loss stalls to boost the metabolism.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wasn't familiar at all with it as well. But a few positions opened in the military for work in the sf and the athletic tests needed a 6 minute mile just to be competitive and 10 pullups. So I had to loose weight and build up endurance for running, something I've never done since I was doing powerlifting training these years. Now I dropped from 88-89 to 72kg and run a 5.10 mile and 25 wide grip pullups non stop. Since I've gotten to that point I said **** it why don I cut properly down to 10% and do a proper bulk after that for once?
Nice! I've got the pullups down pat but the 5.1 mile I'll need some work. I've never been much of a runner but need to get some kind of routine that keeps me honest for cardio.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice! I've got the pullups down pat but the 5.1 mile I'll need some work. I've never been much of a runner but need to get some kind of routine that keeps me honest for cardio.
5k the best I ever did!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5k the best I ever did!
Now I'm trying to think what's the most I've ever ran. I need to just sign myself up for a marathon just to say i did one even if I don't run the entire thing but as long as I make it out a live :ROFLMAO:

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you start out everyday with a run, you know your day can't get a worst.

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
If you start out everyday with a run, you know your day can't get a worst.
Or any form of cardio for that matter lol. But really, I've grown to like it lately, I've been running at some cross country trails on the island and it's been pretty fun. Also due to the temperature hitting 35+ deg c where I live, I can't run during the day, so I go running as the sun sets when it's cooler. It's good it makes me exhausted and I get to sleep much sooner now, right after I come back from the run

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I would keep cutting, but I absolutely would not lower calories, I would increase my activity level to a point I can actually eat more food. I'm miserable if I go under 2500 go any extended period of time and I gotta get strategic and really bulk up my meals with low calorie foods.

When the 6 pack comes in it's time to bulk. Or you can attempt a recomp. I did that recently and it worked well altho it took about 6months. I've tried too many times to start my bulk at 15% or higher and every time the same thing happened, first 5-10lbs look decent, strength goes up and before I know it I'm too fat

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is what I wish I knew And practiced from day 1. I knew it was better to start lean but I always drastically underestimated my bf.

Don't remember who said it, but we're all fatter and smaller then we think we are

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've dropped from 87kg to 72.2 right now, at 1.68m height, 21 years old. I think I'm around 16%bf, what is your estimate? Should I keep cutting until I get to 10% and bulk up properly after that or will I look too scrawny with no muscle?
I have increased vascularity on arms calves lower abs now, but I still seem to have quite a bit of fat
Six times lol, just press the button once😁

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Go into the copy threads, next to the unwatch button there's a little tab, click and delete thread should be a option in there

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
I would keep cutting, but I absolutely would not lower calories, I would increase my activity level to a point I can actually eat more food. I'm miserable if I go under 2500 go any extended period of time and I gotta get strategic and really bulk up my meals with low calorie foods.

When the 6 pack comes in it's time to bulk. Or you can attempt a recomp. I did that recently and it worked well altho it took about 6months. I've tried too many times to start my bulk at 15% or higher and every time the same thing happened, first 5-10lbs look decent, strength goes up and before I know it I'm too fat
I can go as low as 1600, but I want to postpone it as much as I can. Like increase activity so I can eat more and only drop to 1800-1600 for the last week or so. I'm also changing the training program as I can't stand the strength loss. I'm switching it to 5/3/1 BBB with some accessories

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I can go as low as 1600, but I want to postpone it as much as I can. Like increase activity so I can eat more and only drop to 1800-1600 for the last week or so. I'm also changing the training program as I can't stand the strength loss. I'm switching it to 5/3/1 BBB with some accessories
That's a starvation diet, it's the lack of food killing your strength, not the training program

How much do you weigh?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Something I think we're overlooking is that he's 5'6 158lbs, natural and already on very low calories. Maybe in his scenario it would make more sense to attempt a recomp or extremely slow bulk/maingain type approach

At 158 and 16% he would be like 135 to hit single digit bodyfat and straight starving all the time

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Something I think we're overlooking is that he's 5'6 158lbs, natural and already on very low calories. Maybe in his scenario it would make more sense to attempt a recomp or extremely slow bulk/maingain type approach

At 158 and 16% he would be like 135 to hit single digit bodyfat and straight starving all the time
If he’s natural then you’re right 15% is usually a sweet spot for bulking

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established

Tbh I don't have a problem with being skinny as I'm going to bulk later. I just wanna be lean for once in my life and then do long clean slow bulk so I gain muscle but don't get fat again. Right now I'm at 2150 calories a day at 72.2kg or 159lbs at 5'6. I don't want to get to 10% crazy fast, but I'm shooting for 10 to 15 weeks, which is a reasonable timeframe I think.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Tbh I don't have a problem with being skinny as I'm going to bulk later. I just wanna be lean for once in my life and then do long clean slow bulk so I gain muscle but don't get fat again. Right now I'm at 2150 calories a day at 72.2kg or 159lbs at 5'6. I don't want to get to 10% crazy fast, but I'm shooting for 10 to 15 weeks, which is a reasonable timeframe I think.
That's completely your decision, I was just reading through the thread and wanted to put those points into consideration. Either way, good luck with your goals. At the end of the day you got to do what you want to do

NattyBeast

NattyBeast

Awards
  • Established
That's completely your decision, I was just reading through the thread and wanted to put those points into consideration. Either way, good luck with your goals. At the end of the day you got to do what you want to do
Thanks a lot man, and really appreciate your help!