Need my arms and shoulders to grow, is my idea good or can anyone give me advice?

CJNator

Awards
Well basically my arms are only getting stronger while my body gets bigger and my shoulders are growing slowly but i dont know how to change for shoulders.
1) At the end of my arms workout i do 1 set to the max for dips and pullups
2) I would do a set of pullups after back and a set of dips after chest

Are these ideas good or what do you think i should do? Here is my basic weekly workout:

Mon:Chest
Incline bench:3x8-10
Flat bench:2x8-10
Incline flies:2:10-12
Cable cross over for lower and upper chest: 3x10-12
Push ups:1xMax

Tues:Back
Rows 3x8-10
Deadlift3x8-10
Lat Pull Down2x8-10
Straight arm pull down2x8-10
Dumbell Pullover 2x8-10
Pullups 1xMax

Wed:Shoulders & Traps
Military Press 3x8-10
Dumbell Lateral Raise 2x10-12
Lateral Cable Raise 2x8-10
Rear delt raise2x10-12
Dumbel shrugs 2x8-10

Thurs: Arms
Dumbell Curls 3x8-10
Incline hammer curls 2x8-10
Barbell Curls 2x8-10
Tricep push down 3x8-10
Skull crushers 2x8-10
French Press 2x8-10
Pullups 1xMax (close grip)
Bench Dips 1xMax

Fri: Legs
Front Squats: 3x8-10
Leg extention 2x8-10
Leg curls 2x8-10
Seated Calf Raise 3x10-15
Calf Raise on Leg Press 3x10-15

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Try making the compound lifts the focus of the workout followed then by the isolation exersises.
For example you start your tri routine with pushdowns. This is not a compound exersise. You should do somthing like:

Start with dips (upright/ fullbody)
Then add in close grip bench press (go heavy)
Then skull crushers
Then benchdips or pulldowns

If you can still move your tris after these exersises you're not going hard/heavy enough on the compound movements

For shoulders. All youre really doing is iso exersises
Do 4 sets on millitary press
Then do 4 sets on dumbell press. Make them meet (but not touch) in the middle at the top of your movement. Also dont go lower than your ears or you will take the tension off your shoulder. Then on your last set when you cant do any more, do partial reps at the midpoint of the rep.

Instead of so many side laterals...do upright rows. I prefer an ez bar and try focus on keeping the tension on your shoulder for the whole exersise. To start with only lift the bar to your nipple. hold it in a way that ensures your elbows are paralelle to the floor. Another thing to remember for this exersise is most of the movement comes from the shoulder to the elbow. You dont need to be dropping your forearms down and trying to get them to your chin. Just make sure your elbows get paraelle to the floor. If you can do this the height of the bar is irrelivant.

Then do your rear flys and shrugs.

I hope that helps

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I believe in keeping the intensity up. My shoulder workout is as followed if you dare try it...

Smith Machine Shoulder Press
Superset
DB Side Raises - 4 sets

Machine Side Raises - 4 sets

DB Rear Delt Raise (forehead on incline bench pad to prevent from cheating)
Superset
DB Front Raise - 4 sets

Reverse Pec Dec - 4 sets

DB Shrugs - I do 3 sets cuz I have overly developed traps

Machine Shoulder Press - FST7 (7 sets 30-40 sec rest)

CJNator

Awards
Thanks guys, both my wrists are messed up so i cant really do military press for now but when i can i will incorporate it again.

Hooper88

Awards
I find that focusing on negative (essentric) movements at the end of workout is great for growth. For instance bicep curl have someone spot you by lifting the weight up and focus the lowering (negative) part of the movement, it should take approx 5-7 seconds before your arms are extended and your ready to go again. 3 sets 8 reps and your bi's should be like mellons. Try and incorporate the same ethos in some of your other exercise ie shoulder press or tri dips. Keeping the muscle under tension for longer causes more tearing of the muscle fibres promoting more muscle growth.

Good Luck

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, be careful with them upright rows. ZiR Red posted a while ago about not lifting the bar above the middle of your sternum (aim for lower sternum), for some reason which I now forget.

Definitaly agree with the compund movements first then hit the isolations.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Thanks guys, both my wrists are messed up so i cant really do military press for now but when i can i will incorporate it again.
If your wrists are messed up better if you let them heal.. Get hurt worse, can't lift. Can't lift, you can't stay swole!

CJNator

Awards
If your wrists are messed up better if you let them heal.. Get hurt worse, can't lift. Can't lift, you can't stay swole!
Haha yea i know but they have healed but there not 100% so i use dumbbells for somethings and it feels allot better then barbells

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Haha yea i know but they have healed but there not 100% so i use dumbbells for somethings and it feels allot better then barbells
DBs are good. May be wrap up the wrists on your shoulder presses and bench presses too for added support since its not 100%. I personally have no wrist problems but as the weights progressively get heavier on shoulder and bench presses I will strap up just to protect myself. I'm in it for the longevity. I love working out so I'm not trying to get hurt cuz it would mentally kill me to just stay home

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
I agree with the guys saying to utilize compound lifts. Military press, shrugs, and upright rows should be a staple. If your wrists are an issue do the uprights with an easy curl it helps immensely.

On a side note, your split works your upper half of your body how many times as compared to your lower... Think about changing up your split or you'll end up a bit top heavy.