AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When carb cycling, when do you like to have your high carb days?

On training days that are your hardest? Training days with the muscle group you want to improve the most? The day before your hardest training day?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As long as calories are the same over the week wherever you place them doesn’t matter as long as the net surplus or deficit is met.

how you want to allocate is personal preference. See if the lagging body parts or stronger body parts suits you better for your overall progress and allowing you to train in an optimal Environment

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I'm carb cycling. I like to be depleted and in ketosis first. Then have carbs a few hours post training.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As long as calories are the same over the week wherever you place them doesn’t matter as long as the net surplus or deficit is met.

how you want to allocate is personal preference. See if the lagging body parts or stronger body parts suits you better for your overall progress and allowing you to train in an optimal Environment
This lol.. people overthink this stuff.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If I'm carb cycling. I like to be depleted and in ketosis first. Then have carbs a few hours post training.
OP does not run a keto diet.
He just adjusts his carbs on a day to day basis (Low/Medium/High)

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This lol.. people overthink this stuff.
Just because it’s not the most important doesn’t mean it has zero effect. Maybe people who don’t have the right things lined up shouldn’t try to optimize it but that doesn’t mean there is zero net benefit to it.

I aim for more on hard days of training, less on days off.

As I get higher into a surplus I tend to have less of a “difference” between days just due to the fact I need so many calories anyway that I have to get them in over the course of the week almost in any way possible.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just because it’s not the most important doesn’t mean it has zero effect. Maybe people who don’t have the right things lined up shouldn’t try to optimize it but that doesn’t mean there is zero net benefit to it.

I aim for more on hard days of training, less on days off.

As I get higher into a surplus I tend to have less of a “difference” between days just due to the fact I need so many calories anyway that I have to get them in over the course of the week almost in any way possible.
My point wasn’t that carb cycling or whatever kind of methods/twitching like that isn’t necessary or good, my point was 99% of the people trying to figure out why there dieting/fat losing goal aren’t working are looking at the wrong place. If you’re 20% BF or even 14-15% BF and you’re struggling to lose weight the way you’re placing your carbs during the day or trying to play with how you eat your carbs isn’t going to change much, the point is your diet is **** and you’re probably not calculating your stuff right. Now would this benefit an athlete? A BB? Or someone extremely lean? Sure it could.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMO if you are ingesting a decent amount of carbs over a typical training weeks time frame the glycogen is going to be there for your workout. Your muscles can hold a lot of glycogen and the average Joe isn't going to suddenly deplete everything with a one hour workout. The only time I would worry about real carb timing is when you are in a major carb deficit and need a refeed day/meal (i.e. steak and eggs diet/keto/carnivore/heavy cutting cycle), a true professional athlete/bodybuilder training 3,4,5 hours a day, or if you are training marathons/triathalons.