Your Gynecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction) Source! FAQs + More

300Fan

Awards
1. I am not a doctor. I own an online marketing company that provides services for cosmetic plastic surgeons.

2. Because of this, I literally get all the information that most people don't know directly from clients due to ongoing events, business ventures, social media content, website content, building their online gallery/portfolio, etc...

3. A lot of the following information CAN be found online with lots of research. Though there's a lot of fluff and BS since most surgeons just want you to visit them for a consultation. This thread is my summery and IMO is enough for those that want answers now!

4. Why am I writing this and willing to help? The major problem/issue with Gynecomastia is the psychological effect. Yes, you will have "puffy nipples" or what appears to be boobs but it's not life threatening... That means you can accept having Gynecomastia, have it for the rest of your life and be fine with it! However, seeing that this is a body building site, we are all looking for that perfect figure. We don't want boobs or for it to randomly appear.

So what do we do? Lots of research and/or use supplements/drugs to combat the issue. I am creating this thread to tell you that sometimes it's best to look for a long-term results rather than a short-term, especially when it comes to your health. The last thing you want to do is ingest a chemical that could potentially mess you up even more!

I have no problem answering any Gynecomastia questions or relaying them to any of my clients if I don't have the answer. Please also feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicly ask.

----------------------------------------

A Quick, Easy Summary of Gynecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction)

Gynecomastia = Breast tissue, which means that it's not harmful or something to freak out about. NO ONE knows why it occurs (naturally). We just know that it happens to boys during their teenage years (puberty), young men, and even older men. It can literally appear at anytime after puberty. Lastly, breast tissue is NOT caused by being overweight; therefore, exercise and losing weight will not get rid of it.

What "Causes" It? CHANGES IN HORMONES. For teenagers going through puberty, gynecomastia can actually appear and then disappear on its own. That means you don't need surgery or to freak out. It's just a part of growing up. For young and older adults, medications and "steroids" that effect your hormones can lead to gynecomastia. There are other health conditions but the majority of it comes from hormonal changes.

I HAVE GYNECOMASTIA ON 1 SIDE WHY? No body knows but you're not alone. I actually only had it on 1 side - my right. It's nothing to freak out about... It's actually very common. For those with Gynecomastia on one side, you basically have the surgery only on that side. There is theoretically breast tissue on the other side but nothing to remove. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Treatment & Costs:

This is what I really wanted this thread to focus on! Given the context of this forum, yes it's possible to "defeat" gynecomastia by using estrogen blockers and aromatase inhibitors; however, you are just temporarily suppressing it. You are basically using a product (hoping it's legit) to fix a hormonal balance. Will this work all the time? NO. Especially when you are doing it over and over again. There is only 1 way to prevent Gynecomastia 100% and that is by getting surgery*.

So 100% never again? Well that depends on the surgeon... A cosmetic plastic surgeon that specializes in Gynecomastia surgery knows exactly how much glandular tissue has to be removed. You have to realize that they are REMOVING tissue from your chest, which means there will be a "cavity." The trick to performing the surgery is to remove just enough. If not done properly, Gynecomastia can actually return especially when there is continued hormone stimulation. I am here to tell you that there are plenty of body builders that have had the surgery performed and never had Gynecomastia issues ever again (with use of steroids) then, there are others that had to undergo surgery numerous times since it wasn't done right.

Here are Your Options and the Pricing:

These prices are based on cosmetic surgeons in NY, FL and CA. Other areas are most likely cheaper:

Gynecomastia surgery involves:

1. The excision of the breast tissue/gland = $3,000 to $5,000
2. If you are "overweight" or want perfect results then liposuction may be required to sculpt and contour your chest. = +$2,000-$3000

Here's the kicker and what most guys don't know about. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia! Lots of cosmetic surgeons perform the surgery under general anesthesia. If you opt for Gynecomastia surgery under general anesthesia you will generally have to pay additional fees for a hospital/operating room and an anesthesiologist. On average, the hospital/operating room will cost an extra $1,000 to $2,000 and an anesthesiologist around the same $1,000-$2,000.

Gynecomastia Surgery under Local Anesthesia, with glandular excision = $3,000 to $5,000
Gynecomastia Surgery under General Anesthesia, with glandular excision = $6,000 to $10,000

Again, add $2,000-$3,000 if you also want liposuction.

Clearly local anesthesia is the way to go financially. However, you will be awake during the entire procedure. If you have crazy anxiety or think you will freak out during the surgery then you have no other option but to pay more for the general anesthesia.

Is Gynecomastia surgery covered by insurance?

No, in recent years insurance companies have changed their policies. Because Gynecomastia is not "harmful" it's considered purely cosmetic. If you found a surgeon that will put it through insurance then I suggest you confirm everything and make sure they aren't doing anything sneaky. If so then I would think hard about using them.

---------------------------

General Post-Op Questions:

Is there any Scaring or Disfigurement? Can someone tell that you had the surgery?

You have to see a cosmetic surgeon that specializes in Gynecomastia surgery. It really comes down to years of experience and skill. The surgeon has to remove just the right amount of the gland and/or provide liposuction to contour your chest so that its symmetrical to the rest of your body.

You WILL have a "dimple" that you can physically feel for the rest of your lift. Why? Because a gland/tissue was removed. However, if the surgery is performed properly you will not notice it, nor will others. You can just feel it... Kinda weird and cool at the same time.

How about recovery time?

If you opt for local anesthesia you can literally drive YOURSELF to the doctor, eat lunch and relax right after surgery. If you opt for general anesthesia then you need someone to drive and pick you up. You will then also have lethargy and perhaps feel out of it for a few days. Either way, you will be able to return to work the day after.

Every doctor recommends to stay away from heavy lifting for a minimum of 2 weeks. I have seen pictures of patients that went to the gym literally 2-3 days after surgery and the results looked horrible. They got hematomas and swelled up pretty badly. You really have to use common sense here! I waited a solid month before going back to the gym, even then I didn't lift hard.

So this took about 40 minutes to type... I really hope this helps you guys out! If this is NOT the right section, please move it to the correct one so members get the full use of it! I'm sure you guys will have additional questions so just post below and I'll answer them. If not, I can easily relay the question to any of my clients. Please don't be afraid to ask! I will provide the shortest, direct answer.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Solid post man, im sure this will help alot of ppl here, including myself

sumitahuja

Awards
1. I am not a doctor. I own an online marketing company that provides services for cosmetic plastic surgeons.

2. Because of this, I literally get all the information that most people don't know directly from clients due to ongoing events, business ventures, social media content, website content, building their online gallery/portfolio, etc...

3. A lot of the following information CAN be found online with lots of research. Though there's a lot of fluff and BS since most surgeons just want you to visit them for a consultation. This thread is my summery and IMO is enough for those that want answers now!

4. Why am I writing this and willing to help? The major problem/issue with Gynecomastia is the psychological effect. Yes, you will have "puffy nipples" or what appears to be boobs but it's not life threatening... That means you can accept having Gynecomastia, have it for the rest of your life and be fine with it! However, seeing that this is a body building site, we are all looking for that perfect figure. We don't want boobs or for it to randomly appear.

So what do we do? Lots of research and/or use supplements/drugs to combat the issue. I am creating this thread to tell you that sometimes it's best to look for a long-term results rather than a short-term, especially when it comes to your health. The last thing you want to do is ingest a chemical that could potentially mess you up even more!

I have no problem answering any Gynecomastia questions or relaying them to any of my clients if I don't have the answer. Please also feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicly ask.

A Quick, Easy Summary of Gynecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction)

Gynecomastia = Breast tissue, which means that it's not harmful or something to freak out about. NO ONE knows why it occurs (naturally). We just know that it happens to boys during their teenage years (puberty), young men, and even older men. It can literally appear at anytime after puberty. Lastly, breast tissue is NOT caused by being overweight; therefore, exercise and losing weight will not get rid of it.

What "Causes" It? CHANGES IN HORMONES. For teenagers going through puberty, gynecomastia can actually appear and then disappear on its own. That means you don't need surgery or to freak out. It's just a part of growing up. For young and older adults, medications and "steroids" that effect your hormones can lead to gynecomastia. There are other health conditions but the majority of it comes from hormonal changes.

I HAVE GYNECOMASTIA ON 1 SIDE WHY? No body knows but you're not alone. I actually only had it on 1 side - my right. It's nothing to freak out about... It's actually very common. For those with Gynecomastia on one side, you basically have the surgery only on that side. There is theoretically breast tissue on the other side but nothing to remove. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Treatment & Costs:

This is what I really wanted this thread to focus on! Given the context of this forum, yes it's possible to "defeat" gynecomastia by using estrogen blockers and aromatase inhibitors; however, you are just temporarily suppressing it. You are basically using a product (hoping it's legit) to fix a hormonal balance. Will this work all the time? NO. Especially when you are doing it over and over again. There is only 1 way to prevent Gynecomastia 100% and that is by getting surgery*.

So 100% never again? Well that depends on the surgeon... A cosmetic plastic surgeon that specializes in Gynecomastia surgery knows exactly how much glandular tissue has to be removed. You have to realize that they are REMOVING tissue from your chest, which means there will be a "cavity." The trick to performing the surgery is to remove just enough. If not done properly, Gynecomastia can actually return especially when there is continued hormone stimulation. I am here to tell you that there are plenty of body builders that have had the surgery performed and never had Gynecomastia issues ever again (with use of steroids) then, there are others that had to undergo surgery numerous times since it wasn't done right.

Here are Your Options and the Pricing:

These prices are based on cosmetic surgeons in NY, FL and CA. Other areas are most likely cheaper:

Gynecomastia surgery involves:

1. The excision of the breast tissue/gland = $3,000 to $5,000
2. If you are "overweight" or want perfect results then liposuction may be required to sculpt and contour your chest. = +$2,000-$3000

Here's the kicker and what most guys don't know about. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia! Lots of cosmetic surgeons perform the surgery under general anesthesia. If you opt for Gynecomastia surgery under general anesthesia you will generally have to pay additional fees for a hospital/operating room and an anesthesiologist. On average, the hospital/operating room will cost an extra $1,000 to $2,000 and an anesthesiologist around the same $1,000-$2,000.

Gynecomastia Surgery under Local Anesthesia, with glandular excision = $3,000 to $5,000
Gynecomastia Surgery under General Anesthesia, with glandular excision = $6,000 to $10,000

Again, add $2,000-$3,000 if you also want liposuction.

Clearly local anesthesia is the way to go financially. However, you will be awake during the entire procedure. If you have crazy anxiety or think you will freak out during the surgery then you have no other option but to pay more for the general anesthesia.

Is Gynecomastia surgery covered by insurance?

No, in recent years insurance companies have changed their policies. Because Gynecomastia is not "harmful" it's considered purely cosmetic. If you found a surgeon that will put it through insurance then I suggest you confirm everything and make sure they aren't doing anything sneaky. If so then I would think hard about using them.

General Post-Op Questions:

Is there any Scaring or Disfigurement? Can someone tell that you had the surgery?

You have to see a cosmetic surgeon that specializes in Gynecomastia surgery. It really comes down to years of experience and skill. The surgeon has to remove just the right amount of the gland and/or provide liposuction to contour your chest so that its symmetrical to the rest of your body.

You WILL have a "dimple" that you can physically feel for the rest of your lift. Why? Because a gland/tissue was removed. However, if the surgery is performed properly you will not notice it, nor will others. You can just feel it... Kinda weird and cool at the same time.

How about recovery time?

If you opt for local anesthesia you can literally drive YOURSELF to the doctor, eat lunch and relax right after surgery. If you opt for general anesthesia then you need someone to drive and pick you up. You will then also have lethargy and perhaps feel out of it for a few days. Either way, you will be able to return to work the day after.

Every doctor recommends to stay away from heavy lifting for a minimum of 2 weeks. I have seen pictures of patients that went to the gym literally 2-3 days after surgery and the results looked horrible. They got hematomas and swelled up pretty badly. You really have to use common sense here! I waited a solid month before going back to the gym, even then I didn't lift hard.

So this took about 40 minutes to type... I really hope this helps you guys out! If this is NOT the right section, please move it to the correct one so members get the full use of it! I'm sure you guys will have additional questions so just post below and I'll answer them. If not, I can easily relay the question to any of my clients. Please don't be afraid to ask! I will provide the shortest, direct answer.

I am confused about your statement that Gynecomastia is psychological effect is really true. Actually we have one friend and we always teasing him that he has male boob problem but actually he hasn't such condition. But from last some days I've seen him to research on Gyneacomastia Condition. So is this psychological effect?