Wounded Vet needs help

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
I am 36 6'5 now 250 lbs and was wounded in Afghanistan last year. Previous I was 220 and in the gym every chance I could, Cardio was up and ran 7-10 miles everyother day. I now have a moderate brain injury and other physical limitations now. I am currently suffering extreme muscle fatigue after just a short walk etc. My doctor had my bloodwork done and my Testosterone level came back at only 113 and my Thyroid is at .62 (which I am told .60 is the bottom of the scale)they said it is common for the Pituitary, Thyroid gland to shut down after something like this. I am trying to get fit again but cannot get past this muscle failure that lasts for days after any exertion. Basically I am looking for a company rep who may suggest some program to me to up my testosterone, energy, and drop some weight I have put on since because of the injury. (and for those wondering yes I have been through physical Rehab with no improvements) I have spoken to my doctor about trying this and she said ok as long as I discuss the products i will be using with her before hand. I have also just been started on Testosterone enanthate USP, but am wondering if there is any thing else I can do to try to get my Muscles functioning again. Thanks for any advice

crazycrew

crazycrew

Awards
Here are some excellent study materials. With a head in you could have injured the gland that regulates your adrenals. A cat scan can confirm.

It won't allow me to post a link yet I will try to PM it to you

crazycrew

crazycrew

Awards
Sorry Bro cant PM either.

google; Hormone Modulation Therapy 101 all things male

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Plenty of helpful folks here, I myself am not sure what the best advice is for you.

I do however, want to thank you for your service, and wish you the best.

danielsirpoop

Awards
ive read that a head injury can shut down pituitary. maybe check with your doc to get a pituitary restart via clomid. adrenals definatly took at hit. start supplementing with 2000 mgs a day of EmergenC, a regular multivitamin, and some magnesium. keep your diet in check and eat good high quality protein with low glycemic index carbs (high glycemic index carbs cause higher fluctuations in blood sugar further stressing the adrenals). this should allow the body to recooperate at its fastest capability.
i had a freind who almost died a couple of years ago in a motorcycle crash and he was totally shut down from the accident (he totaled a parked car with his body, he was estimated to have impacted the parked vehicle at 120 mph) no clue as to how he survived. it took him a long time to recover but he made a full recovery. you will too. it will just take some time. since you started on the testosterone you should recover alot faster. just do not push your body too hard. make sure you rest alot and sleep a good 10 hrs a night if you can. keeping diet in check while in rest mode will allow you to not gain much fat. cut out the caffeine, minimize alcohol intake (alcohol interferes with sleep patterns and sleep is what allows us to rebuild).
and thank you for your service and sacrifice for our nation. God bless.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I am 36 6'5 now 250 lbs and was wounded in Afghanistan last year. Previous I was 220 and in the gym every chance I could, Cardio was up and ran 7-10 miles everyother day. I now have a moderate brain injury and other physical limitations now. I am currently suffering extreme muscle fatigue after just a short walk etc. My doctor had my bloodwork done and my Testosterone level came back at only 113 and my Thyroid is at .62 (which I am told .60 is the bottom of the scale)they said it is common for the Pituitary, Thyroid gland to shut down after something like this. I am trying to get fit again but cannot get past this muscle failure that lasts for days after any exertion. Basically I am looking for a company rep who may suggest some program to me to up my testosterone, energy, and drop some weight I have put on since because of the injury. (and for those wondering yes I have been through physical Rehab with no improvements) I have spoken to my doctor about trying this and she said ok as long as I discuss the products i will be using with her before hand. I have also just been started on Testosterone enanthate USP, but am wondering if there is any thing else I can do to try to get my Muscles functioning again. Thanks for any advice
Sounds to me like you are going through PSTD and that there needs to be proper counseling or psychological intevention along with proper lifestyle, and hormonal intervention. Majority VEt Dr's are horrible when it comes to HRT

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
Sounds to me like you are going through PSTD and that there needs to be proper counseling or psychological intevention along with proper lifestyle, and hormonal intervention. Majority VEt Dr's are horrible when it comes to HRT

Ok first yes I have been diagnosed with PTSD but also with a Moderate brain injury in the left occipital lobe, picked up by a SPECT scan. I am pretty sure that the brain injury is the cause of these problems as is many more problems I have(Vision,Coordination,Speech,etc). I am seeking out an ENDO Dr to help me wiuth this. As for lifestyle I am under control no alcohol use at all and try to eat the best I can, I try to ride my road bike every weekend for a couple of miles until I cannot take it anymore. I was just looking for tips on maybe some things I could do on the side to try to get these things working again.(Thyroid,Pituitary,Etc) as my bloodwork has already confirmed a shutdown. I suffer from severe Muscle Fatigue after just light exertion that lasts for 2 days or so and this is the part that drives me crazy!!

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Ok first yes I have been diagnosed with PTSD but also with a Moderate brain injury in the left occipital lobe, picked up by a SPECT scan. I am pretty sure that the brain injury is the cause of these problems as is many more problems I have(Vision,Coordination,Speech,etc). I am seeking out an ENDO Dr to help me wiuth this. As for lifestyle I am under control no alcohol use at all and try to eat the best I can, I try to ride my road bike every weekend for a couple of miles until I cannot take it anymore. I was just looking for tips on maybe some things I could do on the side to try to get these things working again.(Thyroid,Pituitary,Etc) as my bloodwork has already confirmed a shutdown. I suffer from severe Muscle Fatigue after just light exertion that lasts for 2 days or so and this is the part that drives me crazy!!
I would probably look into mitchondrion dysfunction and also potential issues with plaque build up in the brain..

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I have also just been started on Testosterone enanthate USP, but am wondering if there is any thing else I can do to try to get my Muscles functioning again. Thanks for any advice
Curious as to what all of your numbers were? Is your doctor planning on doing anything for thyroid?
How often and how much are you dosing the testosterone?
You sound impatient and I don't blame you, especially after being fit and able for so long, but it can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the testosterone to really kick in and it may take even longer for the test to help heal and bring back on line some other functions.
Try not to rush this and I agree to get as much sleep as you can for the time being.

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
Curious as to what all of your numbers were? Is your doctor planning on doing anything for thyroid?
How often and how much are you dosing the testosterone?
You sound impatient and I don't blame you, especially after being fit and able for so long, but it can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the testosterone to really kick in and it may take even longer for the test to help heal and bring back on line some other functions.
Try not to rush this and I agree to get as much sleep as you can for the time being.
As to time to recover I was wounded 13 mos ago and now finally they are trying to find me an Endo Doctor, I am curious though I just recieved my second bi-weekly injection of Test Enanthate 200ML(if I remember correctly) is there anything I should be worried about as it comes to estrogen conversion or something elsee I should ask about from my Dr? I will post numbers as soon as my latest labs come back.
Thank you very much

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
As to time to recover I was wounded 13 mos ago and now finally they are trying to find me an Endo Doctor, I am curious though I just recieved my second bi-weekly injection of Test Enanthate 200ML(if I remember correctly) is there anything I should be worried about as it comes to estrogen conversion or something elsee I should ask about from my Dr? I will post numbers as soon as my latest labs come back.
Thank you very much
The 200mg every two week protocol is outdated by at least 10 years. To ensure stable levels and prevent aromatization to estrogen and thereby the roller coaster effect, your injections should be 100mg per week minimum.
This is 2011. Most doctors will allow HRT users to inject themselves now, so many of us inject half of our dose twice a week. Injecting this way, many of us don't need to use an AI. I'm not one of them. I use DIM to reduce estrogen.
It is really not a good thing to use arimidex long term because of the negative effect it has on HDL cholesterol levels.
If your doctor will not test everything you need, you can pay for your own tests through LabCorp. You need to know your estrogen level using the sensitive test at the very least. Some doctors will test estrogen, but they use the general test used for woem and it isn't sensitive enough for males

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
The 200mg every two week protocol is outdated by at least 10 years. To ensure stable levels and prevent aromatization to estrogen and thereby the roller coaster effect, your injections should be 100mg per week minimum.
This is 2011. Most doctors will allow HRT users to inject themselves now, so many of us inject half of our dose twice a week. Injecting this way, many of us don't need to use an AI. I'm not one of them. I use DIM to reduce estrogen.
It is really not a good thing to use arimidex long term because of the negative effect it has on HDL cholesterol levels.
If your doctor will not test everything you need, you can pay for your own tests through LabCorp. You need to know your estrogen level using the sensitive test at the very least. Some doctors will test estrogen, but they use the general test used for woem and it isn't sensitive enough for males
Thanks for the info going back to Dr Thurs a.m

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
Well here are some of the results from bloodwork last week, and I am going in tomorrow for more labwork (EST,etc) I have a referral to an Endo Dr but was told may take 3wks to see him or so and in the mean time am now doing weekly self injections of Test Ethanate 100M and may also now be being prescribed Synthroid??

THYROID PANEL

Triiodothyronine Uptake: SERUM 37 (H)
Thyroxine: SERUM 3.6 (L)
Thyroxine Free Index: SERUM 1.3 (L)

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE SENSITIVE

Thyotropin Sensitive: SERUM 1.150

TESTOSTERONE PANEL

Testosterone: SERUM 313 Same as before(typo earlier of 113)
Testosterone Free: SERUM 49.5
Testosterone free + Weakly Bound SERUM: 108 (L)
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin: 25
Albumin: SERUM 4.5

I am not too sure what everything means but was told that my body is trying to activate my Thyroid but it looks like it is not responding. My Test level of 313 has not changed any info on these levels would be greatly appreciated.

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
I have just posted my new lab results above this reply any feedback would be appreciated, I also just went and had amore labs done to cover Liver panel,EST (for men) and more of the same from above will post those next week. What would be the optimum weekly inj for the TEST? and possibly the synthroid?

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
Ok, I am back now and my TEST levels are in the mid 600's now and I am still giving myself a weekly injection of TEST Enanthate 1ML. My question is now I am going to start working out and am still waiting for the V.A to pick me up so i can get back to an Endocrinologist and get more extensive care, but I am concerned about developing GYNO with the weekly TEST injections. I have a few bottles of FORMODROL (PCT) left from before my injury, would something like this function like clomid and help block excess estrogen production? if not does anyone know of anything I can get OTC until I get back into the ENDO Dr? I appreciate all the help (and BTW for all those who assisted me in getting my last Dr on board with proper TEST dosing I appreciate it I have never felt better). Also I am going to start high intensity cardio training about 40 min a day will these injections help me or hamper my ability to regain much of the fitness I have lost? any recommendations is appreciated.

aaronexists

Awards
Glad to hear you're feeling better on the 1ml T Ena. I can't answer your question but curious if you have more test results than Total T? Estradiol, Sensitive? Etc? Have you noticed weight gain since you started injections? I'm a novice and still trying to find a good balance with T Cyp.

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
Well I have noticed a sizeable weight gain but I was on alot of Narcotics for pain management(fentanyl patch, Morphine,etc) and I think I would attribute the weight gain to those, but Im not sure. I dont have test results that are within 3 wks old but should getting more blood work done very soon. I do have some test results posted above but are outdated. I will say there are a good bunch of knowledgeable guys on here, so just hang around and start reading, you will find your answer.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
How long are you on pain pills for because they can decrease testosterone significantly. Please Google opiates and testosterone and you will see studies verifying it. They can lower lh and affect thyroid function in some. Why it is important with any case to know the medications the person is on to.know possible interactions. Pain.meds may also have a detrimental effect on Cortisol production due to potential suppression of the hpta. Normally high t3 update has to do with low Cortisol resulting in building up of thyroid in the blood not getting to the tissue. Tsh in a stress condition is an unreliable measurement for thyroid function.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
but I am concerned about developing GYNO with the weekly TEST injections. I have a few bottles of FORMODROL (PCT) left from before my injury, would something like this function like clomid and help block excess estrogen production? if not does anyone know of anything I can get OTC until I get back into the ENDO Dr? I appreciate all the help (and BTW for all those who assisted me in getting my last Dr on board with proper TEST dosing I appreciate it I have never felt better). Also I am going to start high intensity cardio training about 40 min a day will these injections help me or hamper my ability to regain much of the fitness I have lost? any recommendations is appreciated.
You don't want to treat a condition out of fear. Treat it by blood work. You need to get your estradiol level tested. If you jump on the Formodrol, you may alter the reliability of any tests.
Very good to hear you are feeling better and these injections should assist greatly in regaining fitness if you are willing to put in the work, but since you are a Vet, I know that won't be a problem for you.

Frtdrmrose7

Awards
yes I am waiting to get in and see a Dr but unfortuneately the V.A does nothing quick and as for the opiates I was on them for almost a year, I just weened myself off them about 2 mos ago because I found that I was becoming tolerant and needed more and I did not want to become an addict, so now I am just dealing with the pain opiate free. I am asking about Formodrol because since I have started the TEST E I have noticed some bloat and just dont want to get full blown GYNO. I know that I need to see an Endocrinologist but am just trying to get by until the V.A decides to start working. oh and for getting back in shape I have started the "insanity" workout and it is absolutely crazy I love it! Thanks for your advice

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
yes I am waiting to get in and see a Dr but unfortuneately the V.A does nothing quick
You can schedule on line to get your estradiol tested through LabCorp here: http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests.php?view=all&show=1001&category=14&search=#1001
You need the estradiol sensitive test.

They even let you pick a lab close to you to have blood drawn. It is a relatively cheap investment in your health.
Once you know your number and if you need it there is an OTC product called Erase by PES that works quite well for estrogen control.

PS. Thank you for your service to our country. I am an Air Force vet.