would crossfit be counterproductive for maintaining lean mass for show?

medicone

medicone

Awards
I'm prepping for first bb show and want to start cutting down. I was just curious if crossfit would be a great addition to add for increased weight loss as well as lean gains. I plan to maintain normal 5 day a week workout regimen but with 3 or 4 crossfit days as well. Basic@ally I would do double sessions on crossfit days. Bad idea? My whole goal is to drop fat and try and maintain as much as possible. I am running test prop with anavar so I know that will help, but what about when I am done with my cycle? Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

drvinnybombat

Awards
I would probably recommend against using crossfit for bodybuilding. The whole concept is based around performance based goals and there are no efforts made for symmetry or to hit the "glamor" muscles. I used t follow the crossfit workouts and I would almost never do crunches, arms, or bench press, so it is NOT a conventional workout. I don't think that conventionalizing crossfit works either, even if it's part of a larger routine. Crossfit is great for almost anything other than bodybuilding.

medicone

medicone

Awards
Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your input

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of successful bodybuilders who use CrossFit.

CrossFit can be broken down into three categories - Constantly varied...functional movement...performed at *high intensity*. It is no secret that HIIT cardio burns fat and spares muscle. In the bodybuilding world, that's a huge plus. CrossFit's conditioning workouts are all. about. intensity. Incorporating CrossFit into your fat loss routine will only be beneficial. It's as simple as applying what you do on the treadmill or eliptical to weight training and bodyweight movements.

Plus, you'll gain some serious athleticism!

The key though, if you're interested in mass gains, is not to overdo the conditioning workouts. Too much will likely take away from some of your mass - a well-rounded athlete will not have the shear size of a bodybuilder, and CrossFit full-time will put you at your athletic weight. A few times a week at most, coupled with a modified version of your normal weight routine, IMO, will be great for you.

There is nothing better for results than intensity... keep that in mind.

medicone

medicone

Awards
Thank you very much. I appreciate the input

CrossFit can be broken down into three categories - Constantly varied...functional movement...performed at *high intensity*. It is no secret that HIIT cardio burns fat and spares muscle. In the bodybuilding world, that's a huge plus. CrossFit's conditioning workouts are all. about. intensity. Incorporating CrossFit into your fat loss routine will only be beneficial. It's as simple as applying what you do on the treadmill or eliptical to weight training and bodyweight movements.

The key though, if you're interested in mass gains, is not to overdo the conditioning workouts. Too much will likely take away from some of your mass - a well-rounded athlete will not have the shear size of a bodybuilder, and CrossFit full-time will put you at your athletic weight. A few times a week at most, coupled with a modified version of your normal weight routine, IMO, will be great for you.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crossfit can be utilized, albeit not used as a sole program, but I'm sure we all are aware of that. Here is a link to an article of a guy who had competed, but only after he integrated crossfit into his routine did he win a show. There are arguments up and down on both side of the issues, but the great thing about all this is we can personalize and tailor these things to fit each persons goals as long as proper attention is paid to programming.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/competitive-bodybuilder-becomes-crossfitterand-wins.tpl

medicone

medicone

Awards
Dude you and highlanda are awesome. Thank you so much for your help. It says a lot when people take time to answer your question.
Crossfit can be utilized, albeit not used as a sole program, but I'm sure we all are aware of that. Here is a link to an article of a guy who had competed, but only after he integrated crossfit into his routine did he win a show. There are arguments up and down on both side of the issues, but the great thing about all this is we can personalize and tailor these things to fit each persons goals as long as proper attention is paid to programming.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/competitive-bodybuilder-becomes-crossfitterand-wins.tpl

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No problem man. You'll find that Highlanda and I tend to be crossfit biased at times in the manner that we both love it. We are both in the military and have found it to be incredibly effective for our goals.

Good luck with your show

medicone

medicone

Awards
That's awesome! Both military. I'm prior AF. SSgt, first gulf war vet. I know, I'm old. Did Crossfit this am, then hit shoulders after and I felt great. I also looked up Josh Everett and that guy is amazing.
No problem man. You'll find that Highlanda and I tend to be crossfit biased at times in the manner that we both love it. We are both in the military and have found it to be incredibly effective for our goals.

Good luck with your show

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's awesome! Both military. I'm prior AF. SSgt, first gulf war vet. I know, I'm old. Did Crossfit this am, then hit shoulders after and I felt great. I also looked up Josh Everett and that guy is amazing.
That guy can throw so much above his head for his height/weight it's sick. And his endurance just puts me to shame..lol

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established

damn good post... the key word here is MODIFED... myself i do a pure powelifting routine, but i eat healthy foods so i stay pretty lean... so i will add bicep work to my PL routine it looks real weird but idont mind the results ;)... same with you ur gonna have to cut back some of ur training to do crossfit but you just got to find that balance...