Would carb loading while recovering from surgery be a good idea?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay, so I'm only taking in between 1,800-1,900 calories; 1,950 at most. If you've followed my other posts, you know I've had foot surgery and have to walk with crutches until the beginning of April. It's only been about two weeks since surgery, so maybe I should just wait. It doesn't seem like I'm going to loose weight though. I was wondering if I should carb load once every 9 to 10 days? I'm only getting about 60-100g of carbs right now. This is mainly due in part that most of my macro go to protein and fat and if I try to up carbs, I have to either lower protein or fats; else I'll go over calories. I was thinking about having a heavy carb day every 9 days and on that day only worry about getting about 140 grams of protein, instead of around 170 grams and eat around maintenance that day (2,400-2,500). Does this seem like a good idea? I'm 208 pounds and almost 6 foot. My current bodyfat percentage is about 20%.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First off, I know you're recovering from surgery and are not active, but there is no need to fear carbs. Before you say you're not, I can tell from previous threads you are avoiding them for whatever reason. Second, weight gain is going to come down to overall calories. Do you need as many carbs as you did pre surgery, no, but do not avoid them all together. Your body went through something traumatic, a surgery. It needs to recovery and will do so with rest and calories.

To answer your question, there is no need to carb load. Carb loading is really just to help fuel a workout for the next day or to help bring up a lagging bodypart or look more full for an event. Just focus on a balanced diet right now.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First off, I know you're recovering from surgery and are not active, but there is no need to fear carbs. Before you say you're not, I can tell from previous threads you are avoiding them for whatever reason. Second, weight gain is going to come down to overall calories. Do you need as many carbs as you did pre surgery, no, but do not avoid them all together. Your body went through something traumatic, a surgery. It needs to recovery and will do so with rest and calories.

To answer your question, there is no need to carb load. Carb loading is really just to help fuel a workout for the next day or to help bring up a lagging bodypart or look more full for an event. Just focus on a balanced diet right now.
What about having a cheat day in general? What about my leptin levels? Even if I don't worry about carbs, I'll wind up with only about 150-160g.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about having a cheat day in general? What about my leptin levels? Even if I don't worry about carbs, I'll wind up with only about 150-160g.
I wouldn't eat in such a deficit that your body's leptin levels will be negatively impacted. I would eat right around maintenance or just a hair under. Rememeber, you body is recovering right now.