Working abs first?

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
One of my weakest areas right now has to be my core. I've never trained a lot of accessory stuff - never arms, abs, anything like that. This time around I'm training those areas and noticing significant improvement, but I'm starting to wonder... what about training abs before other big compounds?

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
If any of those compounds are heavy/high-intensity and/or they use your core for stabilization (ie making sure you don't fall over) or moving the weight, I think you'd be increasing the chances of injury, especially if you're intending to keep your weight/set/reps the same as when you did those compound lifts first.

I personally wouldn't put core specific exercises before many compounds for this reason.

Maybe you could program a day that is focused specifically on core, so you can put some of these exercises first in the routine on that day, without potentially compromising your heavy compounds. For me, my current routine has a chest/core/calves day where I only do some DB flies and then do some core work and finish with DB calf raises.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do a core movement every day at the end of my workout, and I believe it works well.

SHORSE

SHORSE

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I warm up with a bike or stair climbers and strait into ab work first. Otherwise I skip it 1/2 the time. plus it keeps my blood flowing 10-15 sec rest between sets. Now keep in mind I no longer do compound lifts.
Give it a try and see how it works for you.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I warm up with a bike or stair climbers and strait into ab work first. Otherwise I skip it 1/2 the time. plus it keeps my blood flowing 10-15 sec rest between sets. Now keep in mind I no longer do compound lifts.
Give it a try and see how it works for you.
Skipping abs? Man, I don't think I've known many people who do that! 😆

If you're not doing compound lifts then bringing abs in first I think works just fine. But if one is doing large compounds it doesn't make sense to me to tax the abs/core prior, especially if the person doing the workout already considers their abs/core to be a weak point.

If the person training has enough experience to listen to their bodies during the compounds then sure, you could put abs before them (do whatever, as long as it's safe), but it's just not something I would advise; the risk doesn't seem to justify the reward.