Why would my doctor only test Total Testosterone?

GSP

Awards
I'm 30 and went in to physician for another issue and I brought up that i've had decreased libido recently and some ED. He said he'd include that in the blood testing. I asked testosterone and he replied yes. I looked on patient portal and it was 500 total test. Which seems ok since I have not been lifting as much the last few weeks (i had hoped higher but i can lift to boost it). Should free testosterone have been tested also? Can you push back and ask them to test that afterwards?

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most PCP aren't well versed in hormone issues and really don't have a solid understanding of it. You can get blood work pretty cheap depending on were you're living.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's common. As Bad rad said, most doctors don't know the first thing about hormones and optimization so they simply order a total test lab, which essentially tells you nothing.

GSP

Awards
It's common. As Bad rad said, most doctors don't know the first thing about hormones and optimization so they simply order a total test lab, which essentially tells you nothing.
I asked the nurse practitionar why they didn't and she responded that total was the better test. WTF

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I asked the nurse practitionar why they didn't and she responded that total was the better test. WTF
There is no "better", it is just one of several that need to be ordered to understand and set a baseline for where you are at. Even a GP can and should order a total, free, FSH, LH, thyroid, and SHBG as a bare minimum along with the CBC and lipids.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I focus on free testosterone shbg..and prolactin..