Why would anyone want to be a casual lifter?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
What? The whole point of knowing if you are making progress is seeing results. Thats how you know if you are moving forward, backwards, or nowhere at all. No one in their right mind goes to the gym and is happy with being mediocre. Welcome to my world where that is not accepted. I guess that's why I have always been successful in what I put my mind to.

Some people just don't have the eye of the tiger. Its what seperates winners from losers.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Old pic. I look considerably different,[better], now but that one will do for here. Not part of the post endless pics of myself gen. And I do not compete so no need to shave torso/limb hair.
No need to even post that brother. I was giving you **** in a fun way. Edit your post man I am sorry. You seem like a good guy I hope you are having a good day.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
What? The whole point of knowing if you are making progress is seeing results. Thats how you know if you are moving forward, backwards, or nowhere at all. No one in their right mind goes to the gym and is happy with being mediocre. Welcome to my world where that is not accepted. I guess that's why I have always been successful in what I put my mind to.

Some people just don't have the eye of the tiger. Its what seperates winners from losers.
Actually as a gym worker I can tell that the place wouldn't cope if everyone was dedicated and showed up 4-6x a week to train hard. Here the consultants sign over 1000 members with expectation that only 1/3 will actually use the place regularly! Sounds terrible but its just the way economics work. no, the gym would not be able to survive without these 'mediocre' people.
Personally though if I was paying for something and not getting results over six months, one year, I would NOT be happy lol.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I vote for more angled pics of puccah...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Progress toward what though? 90% of the people out there don't care about having a great physique or looking big or being able to lift heavy weights. They just don't care. Maybe they like it for different reasons, just like some people like to take a walk in the woods.

I'm not trying to put you down and chances are we may actually get along well in real life. I tend to be very intense and focused and driven, but I've learned to pull that back - you can't be 100% at everything. And what I'm pointing out is that you do not sound like someone who is truly focused and 100%. People who are focused on their goals 100% don't have time to worry about all the people who aren't doing what they are. They are too focused on what THEY are doing THEMSELVES. Leaders don't worry about what everyone else is doing, they just lead. Followers worry about what everyone else is doing and look for a leader.

You mentioned Michael Jordan and talk about the "eye of the tiger" - do you think Michael Jordan worried about why someone may go play basketball for 30 minutes in their driveway when he was shooting 1,000 free throws to get better? No way - he probably never thought about it and could have cared less.

Another great example from basketball - Larry Bird. The guy used to go to school early so he could go to the gym and shoot free throws. Then run to the gym between class to shoot more free throws, then stay after school and...yeah, shoot more free throws. He was focused and could have cared less about what anyone else was doing. Are you that focused on this?

You're spending too much time worrying about other people and what they do. You should focus that on yourself and not let those other people distract you. You will be far more successful.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Progress toward what though? 90% of the people out there don't care about having a great physique or looking big or being able to lift heavy weights. They just don't care. Maybe they like it for different reasons, just like some people like to take a walk in the woods.

I'm not trying to put you down and chances are we may actually get along well in real life. I tend to be very intense and focused and driven, but I've learned to pull that back - you can't be 100% at everything. And what I'm pointing out is that you do not sound like someone who is truly focused and 100%. People who are focused on their goals 100% don't have time to worry about all the people who aren't doing what they are. They are too focused on what THEY are doing THEMSELVES. Leaders don't worry about what everyone else is doing, they just lead. Followers worry about what everyone else is doing and look for a leader.

You mentioned Michael Jordan and talk about the "eye of the tiger" - do you think Michael Jordan worried about why someone may go play basketball for 30 minutes in their driveway when he was shooting 1,000 free throws to get better? No way - he probably never thought about it and could have cared less.

Another great example from basketball - Larry Bird. The guy used to go to school early so he could go to the gym and shoot free throws. Then run to the gym between class to shoot more free throws, then stay after school and...yeah, shoot more free throws. He was focused and could have cared less about what anyone else was doing. Are you that focused on this?

You're spending too much time worrying about other people and what they do. You should focus that on yourself and not let those other people distract you. You will be far more successful.
I'll tell you why it bothers me to an extent.

Because I hear these people whine and bitch about this and that, but then when you try to lend your advice to them they laugh at it and say "Yeah ok."

Don't insult my intelligence by saying you are going to do something and not follow through. Its pisses me off.

When a person says "How can I lose weight, I like the results you got." I tell them what needs to be done then when they go to the store they stock up on junk food and then actually act confused as to why they are 2 pounds heavier than they were before. Then on top of it, they get a gym membership and never use it. Then on top of that, they say the reason why is that no one will go with them, have no support group. Then you take the time and put in the effort to show that you care, and want to be their support group, and then they come up with an excuse to avoid going to the gym.

I am proud to say I never once needed a support group, nor did I need anyones help in joining a gym. I went because I wanted it. I continue to go cause I WANT IT. Tonight when everyone is out getting drunk watching the MLB Playoffs, I'll be at the gym till 1 am in the morning busting my ass enjoying every minute of it. Then tomorrow I'll be up at the gym again for a few hours while people are nursing their hangovers because I am DEDICATED.

I am a LEADER in every sense of the word. I set examples for others to follow, and many see the results I have made but do not follow my LEAD. That's their problem and its a big one if they ever expect to get the results they want. I know what it takes. I have the answers and I am willing to help them. It does frustrate me when I take the time to do that and they don't appreciate what I am telling them. If they did they would atleast do their best and not quit.

Have a good day everyone.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I don't understand why what others do or don't do bothers you so much.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1444401582.503545.jpg

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established

Because I hear these people whine and bitch about this and that, but then when you try to lend your advice to them they laugh at it and say "Yeah ok."

Don't insult my intelligence by saying you are going to do something and not follow through. Its pisses me off.

When a person says "How can I lose weight, I like the results you got." I tell them what needs to be done then when they go to the store they stock up on junk food and then actually act confused as to why they are 2 pounds heavier than they were before. Then on top of it, they get a gym membership and never use it. Then on top of that, they say the reason why is that no one will go with them, have no support group. Then you take the time and put in the effort to show that you care, and want to be their support group, and then they come up with an excuse to avoid going to the gym.

I am proud to say I never once needed a support group, nor did I need anyones help in joining a gym. I went because I wanted it. I continue to go cause I WANT IT. Tonight when everyone is out getting drunk watching the MLB Playoffs, I'll be at the gym till 1 am in the morning busting my ass enjoying every minute of it. Then tomorrow I'll be up at the gym again for a few hours while people are nursing their hangovers because I am DEDICATED.

I am a LEADER in every sense of the word. I set examples for others to follow, and many see the results I have made but do not follow my LEAD. That's their problem and its a big one if they ever expect to get the results they want. I know what it takes. I have the answers and I am willing to help them. It does frustrate me when I take the time to do that and they don't appreciate what I am telling them. If they did they would atleast do their best and not quit.

At the gym for a few hours????? Obviously you are not nearly as smart as you try to come off as.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
At the gym for a few hours????? Obviously you are not nearly as smart as you try to come off as.
Yes a few hours. I'll do a upper body/lower body split tonight. Swim a few laps, and take a Sauna. We also have a café in our building so I will rest and have a couple meals to refeed myself the nutrients I need to keep my muscles full of fuel in between and after my last workout is completed. Its Friday night, and the gym is where I enjoy being. Its very quiet since no one will be there.

I believe that is a very smart choice instead of hanging out at a bar watching a stupid playoff game that means nothing and has no health benefits.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
probably not a need to judge people on the decisions that they make that don't affect you

definitely don't let what others do with their life bother you if it doesn't directly affect you

it's been 4 weeks since i've had a drink, i'm going to get pretty tipsy tonight.. don't care about the playoffs.. on the prowl for some good ole american poon.. and a good time

in the gym i'm consistent and hit it hard....going out drinking is not for my health, it's for balance.. and that's okay to have

i'm just saying, most people don't like judgmental types... i'm not even sure it's healthy to be that way

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
probably not a need to judge people on the decisions that they make that don't affect you

definitely don't let what others do with their life bother you if it doesn't directly affect you

it's been 4 weeks since i've had a drink, i'm going to get pretty tipsy tonight.. don't care about the playoffs.. on the prowl for some good ole american poon.. and a good time

in the gym i'm consistent and hit it hard....going out drinking is not for my health, it's for balance.. and that's okay to have

i'm just saying, most people don't like judgmental types... i'm not even sure it's healthy to be that way
Alex, we are not speaking about people like you who hit it hard in the gym and drink once in a blue moon.

We are speaking of the people who ask for advice and you take the time to give that to them, and then 5 minutes later they are stuffing their face with junk food. There is a difference here.

How would you feel if a person whined and whined about how they can't get results, then asked you for your help. You put together a fitness and diet plan for them and they don't follow it. Then everytime they see you they keep complaining how they are gaining weight? I bet it would aggravate you to an extent. Now you know the reason why I posted a thread about these types of people. I was hoping instead of being attacked on here that some of you would comprehend what I was posting about and give me a good explanation as to why these people are the way they are.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
Alex, we are not speaking about people like you who hit it hard in the gym and drink once in a blue moon.

We are speaking of the people who ask for advice and you take the time to give that to them, and then 5 minutes later they are stuffing their face with junk food. There is a difference here.

How would you feel if a person whined and whined about how they can't get results, then asked you for your help. You put together a fitness and diet plan for them and they don't follow it. Then everytime they see you they keep complaining how they are gaining weight? I bet it would aggravate you to an extent. Now you know the reason why I posted a thread about these types of people. I was hoping instead of being attacked on here that some of you would comprehend what I was posting about and give me a good explanation as to why these people are the way they are.
this **** ain't easy, or everyone would do it. everyone would be strong, ripped, run marathons, healthy weight or whatever their idea of results would look like. I like standing out and being stronger and in better shape than most.

the reason people don't dedicate themselves and stay committed, is because it's hard and other factors come into play like work, children, life, energy, lack of knowledge etc.

let them all be otherwise we are all going to look the same.. and when someone asks for help getting in shape, now you know not to spend to much time. give them the basics and that's it. exercise and eat less. cut out drinking sugars, eat more fiber etc. Designing workout and diet programs is too much. Refer them to a few sites and let them get on their own research.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Thank you Alex. I just repped you for your post because that's the answer I was looking for. Have a wonderful day. :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I kind of get where you are coming from with this last statement - and I think you are basically saying you want to help others and you want to see them succeed like you do, but are frustrated when they ask your advice and don't take it. But I also think you're good intentions are taking a negative twist without you realizing it - negative for you AND the people you are trying to help.

There is a reason they ask you for advice and don't take it. You have no leverage with them. That's it. People don't change unless there is some leverage that forces them to change. It's easy to ask for advice, hard to follow through, and even harder to change.

To be honest, your advice to them isn't all that important. Whether they know what they are doing or not will have a small impact on their results. Them deciding to do it, and having a strong reason WHY they need to do it will be much more of a determining factor. I have seen people lose over 100 pounds on what they thought was a low carb diet, where they were stuffing their face full of bread and carbs. They didn't have a clue what a carb was and they knew nothing about dieting, but the stopped eating enough to lose 100 pounds anyway. Why? Because they decided THEY wanted to do it.

So the next time someone says, "You've done a great job, how did you do it?" Just say, "It was easy." And they will say, "Really? What did you do?" You say, "I worked very hard and I was disciplined, but it was easy." I bet the conversation ends there. But if they seem to want more, you can ask them why they want to know?

They really just want you to say, "I cut out carbs" or "I started walking" - they want to see that it was something simple that you did so that they can do something that requires no effort and do it too. If they want to know how it can be easy for them - ask them "Why do you want to lose weight?" Dig into what THEY want. Because if you get them to sell you on the idea that they need to lose the weight, the advice you give them won't matter....you have made them change. It was hard work, but it was easy for you because YOU WANTED IT.

So don't give them technical answers. Help them find what makes THEM want it. Otherwise, you are wasting your time with technical answers they don't really care about yet. And if they don't really want it, accept that and let them do what makes them happy.