Unanswered Why is Too Much Rest a Bad Thing? Any Research or Data?

U

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

We all know sleeping too much can be a bad thing. At least with me, I feel like there is too much neurotransmitters in my brain (maybe too much blood flow).

But, is there any actual research or scientific explanation why this is?

Most of us, most of the time, do not get enough rest and sleep.

However, taking a day off and doing nothing but lying in bed and sleeping is bad, too.

On a scale of 0 - 10, zero being sleeping in bed all day and 10 being Navy Seals Boot Camp, it seems like a 3 or 4 is optimal for physical and mental health.

Any explanations?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Messes with the circadian rhythm and cortisol release which can impact quite a lot

I average about 4-5 hours a night because that’s what my body needs. I feel rested when I wake up and half the time I wake up naturally

E

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You are supposed to go through like 5-7 full sleep cycles a night for full recovery and I think a full sleep cycle is like 90 minutes. There's a sweet spot for everyone and some require a bit less some require bit more but too few or too many like anything probably hinders more than helps. I know @dsade knows much more on this front.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd question the idea that anyone would be operating optimally on less than 6-7 hours of sleep. Not saying you wouldn't feel ok or notice cognitive decline, but I'm pretty certain that you could be better with more sleep.

Personally, I am one of those people that feels great on 6 hours, but when I somehow get in 8 hours, I feel amazing.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just know I feel like **** if I get 6 lol

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It might not be sleeping more than 8 hours that makes you feel worse. Consider that it might be the other way around and something is up with you (e.g. diet, stress, depression, illness, etc.) that is causing you to sleep more than you need.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can’t remember last time I had a real 7-8hours of sleep! Somebody help me? 😩

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd question the idea that anyone would be operating optimally on less than 6-7 hours of sleep. Not saying you wouldn't feel ok or notice cognitive decline, but I'm pretty certain that you could be better with more sleep.

Personally, I am one of those people that feels great on 6 hours, but when I somehow get in 8 hours, I feel amazing.
^^^👍