Why is my hex bar DL feel better than barbell DL?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can lift much heavier on hex bar than straight bar and it feels better at that. I have much more activation in my legs vs lower back for the movement. I have tried everything for straight bar, even putting the bar right against my shins (which sucks) so I could get a more centered movement on the way up but even though my form is good I still feel it in my back more and it’s not as an explosive movement as the hex bar. Can anyone help me out as to why this is? Or is it since it’s such different bars it means different muscle activation?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
http://www.ergo-log.com/weak-back-deadlifts-trap-bar.html

Yes there is definitely a difference. If you think about it, the barbell has to stay in front of your legs, the trap bar (hex bar, same thing) centers the weight around your body more. Most people can use a much more upright posture with the trap bar. Generally, this will decrease usage of your back and increase usage of your legs, which sounds like what you’re getting. Do you have a problem with this? Or are you just making sure you aren’t weird?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
http://www.ergo-log.com/weak-back-deadlifts-trap-bar.html

Yes there is definitely a difference. If you think about it, the barbell has to stay in front of your legs, the trap bar (hex bar, same thing) centers the weight around your body more. Most people can use a much more upright posture with the trap bar. Generally, this will decrease usage of your back and increase usage of your legs, which sounds like what you’re getting. Do you have a problem with this? Or are you just making sure you aren’t weird?
Just making sure I’m not weird lmao. I need to get more activation on my legs and a little less in my back on straight bar though. I think that’ll come with a little bit of a wider stance tbh. My stance with straight bar is narrow and my grip is narrow. I think widening it a little will help even though the bar will have to travel farther. Not like sumo, don’t want to confuse anyone.

Bignick31985

Awards
I feel much more sore in my lats/back/traps after hex bar deadlifts. I enjoy hex bar more now with the revolving handle trap bar as well. I always feel more leg soreness after straight bar though. Not sure if everyone is the same and by legs I mean hamstrings/back of the leg.

The hex bar makes my quads feel it more. Again, not sure if all have that but that's been my experience. I went hex bar after doing straight bar wrong and feeling an injury rising. So relearned straight bar but still do it rarely.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hexbar unloads the back considerably; it has significantly more quad and hip activation and less erector and hamstring. Most people can lift more on a trap bar, even the low handles.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Im the opposite with the Hex bar lol. Its considerably harder and I can not load the bar with nearly as much weight.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Im the opposite with the Hex bar lol. Its considerably harder and I can not load the bar with nearly as much weight.
It’s going to depend entirely on your individual development - a novice trainee tends to be quad dominant and has weaker erectors and hams, so trap bar is easier for the greater percentage of people.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was like that for a while but primarily because I learnt to deadlift on a straight bar and literally didn’t use a trap bar until years in. That said even now my high handle trap bar dead is only around 25lbs higher than my straight bar dead.....

thorsrage_

thorsrage_

Awards
It's pretty bizarre to me when I see this phenomenon. I had never actually used a hex bar in any capacity until some time in college. Keep in mind, I had been lifting weights with my dad and older brother since elementary school. And began deadlifting around 6th grade. My posterior chain development allows for a far greater form and strength in the straight bar, conventional form. I'm probably 20% or so stronger than with the hex bar.