Who trains Total Body 3x a week?

pro45

Awards
If you do, and have success.... what's your routine?

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am doing this right now. But I never do this routine natural because of the chance of overtraining.

I usually start off slow and watch my total # of sets, then as weeks progress, I add in more sets. When I feel I am not recovering properly then I switch focus/emphasis, but still do fullbody.

For example, when I switch emphasis I'll do something like this:

Monday (chest emphasis):

start with core routine on floor to warm up
-
squats x 3-5 working sets
-
flat benchpress w/reverse grip 3-4 sets
incline dubmbell flies 3-4 sets
cable cross 3-4 sets
-
cable rows (hold/pause TUT sets) - 6 sets
cable pulldowns - 3 sets
back extensions - 5 sets of 10 (bw)
-
shoulders - cable diagonal pulls
(from high to low) 3 sets
(from low to high) 3 sets
-
seated shrugs - 3 sets
-
curlbar curls - 3 sets
hammer curls - 3 sets

Wednesday (back emphasis)

Same workout as Monday but fewer sets on chest and more on back

Friday (chest emphasis)

Same workout as Monday but since I take 2 days off afterwards, then I may throw in even more volume

The following week I switch up emphasis. Monday has back emphasis, Wednesday chest, Friday back. And then I start over the following week. Works for me but this is on about 1G AAS + peptides etc.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I did it when I first started and a few times here and there. Results were always great, epically for strength but size 2. I don't feel there's any risk of overtraining as long as you stick to 1-2 exercises per body part. Bench,squat or deadlift,overhead press, bent over row I would do every other day and pick a few extras. I would normally do 3-4 sets of 6-8.
Milk and squats routine was great too.

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
I do a 90 minute full-body workout 4x a week or strictly every other day, I do 9 sets of back, 9 sets of chest, and 6 sets of legs then 1x3 super set to end it with a cycle of biceps, triceps, and traps followed by 90 seconds rest then rinse repeat. I focus on lower volume, higher intensity, and steadily progressing each week in terms of total weight load. Sometimes the progression is more weight and some times the same weight with more reps each set depending on how I feel that workout.

I've been progressing on this so far and when and if it starts to slow down I'll add more androgens/calories/ or skip a day for a week to let my body recover. Also so far it seems to be not enough so if I'm still moving and shaking two weeks down the road I plan on adding an additional 3 sets of chest, back, and legs, while also adding more accessory work to polish it off. The only body part that seems at risk of becoming a bottle neck is delts so I'm been avoiding overhead press for the time being but plan on adding it soon at two sets of moderate weight a going from there. Days off are abs and cardio both light intensity so they don't mess with recovery.

Bencsis

Awards
I also do. My program atm is reps go from 15,12,10,8,6 x 2 drop sets on the last set of 6. Theses are done for compound exercises squat, bench, row, shoulder press, curl, close grip. Weight used for each rep range noted and add 2kg if reps met. Then after say squats I’ll do leg ext, pecs I’ll do flys ect. Bout 5 sets of these short rest period to get a good pump.
On off days I’ll do cardio or calisthenics. Been working great

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good replies in here so far. Compound movements are the best for this type of workout, so I should mention I'm doing a lot of isolation work (in what I posted) in order to fix imbalances, but I am adding compounds back in as I go.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I do a 90 minute full-body workout 4x a week or strictly every other day, I do 9 sets of back, 9 sets of chest, and 6 sets of legs then 1x3 super set to end it with a cycle of biceps, triceps, and traps followed by 90 seconds rest then rinse repeat. I focus on lower volume, higher intensity, and steadily progressing each week in terms of total weight load. Sometimes the progression is more weight and some times the same weight with more reps each set depending on how I feel that workout.

I've been progressing on this so far and when and if it starts to slow down I'll add more androgens/calories/ or skip a day for a week to let my body recover. Also so far it seems to be not enough so if I'm still moving and shaking two weeks down the road I plan on adding an additional 3 sets of chest, back, and legs, while also adding more accessory work to polish it off. The only body part that seems at risk of becoming a bottle neck is delts so I'm been avoiding overhead press for the time being but plan on adding it soon at two sets of moderate weight a going from there. Days off are abs and cardio both light intensity so they don't mess with recovery.
I like your solution to slowed gains. More androgens!

As a natty, I do twice a week training but occasionally break it into thrice a week with the same volume. Basically 64 sets a week per muscle group. arms/chest/back. Legs I do less volume (40 sets) Rep range for all muscle groups between 10-20. Can't say I ever feel burned out and progress is steady. but I do incorporate periodic deloads as a precaution. I don't notice a difference in terms of progress at 2x or 3x a week it just depends on convenience. At 1x a week I certainly don't progress nearly as well mind you.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
A article on the website came out this week on why you should train full body. Check the newsletter

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
"There's no such thing as overtraining, just undereating and undersleeping" - Barbarian Brothers

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Try being a kid on your grandparents farm.. or helping uncle's lay paving stones on a drive way.. or carrying bundles of shingles all day every day for a summer.. I didn't over train.. I didn't feel awesome.. but I got stronger and adapted over time.. overtraining is possible.. just not likely.. 90% of the time it's just an excuse to use so you can opt out of lifting heavier more frequently..

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Agreed, and/or not enough adrogens!! lol
Overtraining can actually be more likely on gear if your a serious lifter. All the extra weight and extra sets I would do on cycle would make my workouts 10x harder. It's not the muscles that get over trained, it's the cns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using AnabolicMinds mobile app

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
Overtraining can actually be more likely on gear if your a serious lifter. All the extra weight and extra sets I would do on cycle would make my workouts 10x harder. It's not the muscles that get over trained, it's the cns.

John Broz has some decent reading that disputes overtraining even then.. the taxes cns just gets run down some while it makes more drastic adaptations to the massive stimuli's.. Bulgarian Oly lifters should be overtrained many times over through the years.. but they don't burn out their cns.. they keep going.. granted gear helps.. but still it's more about what you can bring yourself to bear on your body than it is about training yourself too hard

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

True but full body 3x a week workouts are never to failure. It’s always about the constant incremental changes in weight / constant steady progression instead of progressing by training to failure (overloading) once or twice a week.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
John Broz has some decent reading that disputes overtraining even then.. the taxes cns just gets run down some while it makes more drastic adaptations to the massive stimuli's.. Bulgarian Oly lifters should be overtrained many times over through the years.. but they don't burn out their cns.. they keep going.. granted gear helps.. but still it's more about what you can bring yourself to bear on your body than it is about training yourself too hard
And even if the CNS gets taxed on gear, people supplement with cortisone (hydrocortisone) to help support the CNS.

It’s what I do. I only back off if I fear injury.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
True but full body 3x a week workouts are never to failure. It’s always about the constant incremental changes in weight / constant steady progression instead of progressing by training to failure (overloading) once or twice a week.
True full body? Theres no such thing other then training the full body.And that's exactly what I recommend him to do in my first post in this thread, a few sets of a given lift for a very body part so I'm not really sure what the point is. But there's no set way of doing full body so saying a true full body workout is this or that just is not realistic. Full body training is training the whole body regardless of how you do it. Some ways are obviously more intelligent than others

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
True full body? Theres no such thing other then training the full body.And that's exactly what I recommend him to do in my first post in this thread, a few sets of a given lift for a very body part so I'm not really sure what the point is. But there's no set way of doing full body so saying a true full body workout is this or that just is not realistic. Full body training is training the whole body regardless of how you do it. Some ways are obviously more intelligent than others

Ya I get you, I’m not arguing. There are several full body routines out there created by professionals. The one I know best is the HST (hypertrophy specific training) routine which very specifically says never train to failure. Fullbody routines are always about frequency and focus on simple incremental increases, strategic deconditioning and periodization, instead of overloading to failure or drop sets and super sets, which would prevent you from hitting the same group with frequency due to recovery time. It’s a totally different mindset and ballgame.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ya I get you, I’m not arguing. There are several full body routines out there created by professionals. The one I know best is the HST (hypertrophy specific training) routine which very specifically says never train to failure. Fullbody routines are always about frequency instead of overloading to failure or drop sets, super sets, which would prevent you from hitting the same group with frequency due to recovery time. It’s a totally different mindset and ballgame.
I'm not trying to argue either, soon as I posted that I realized I sounded like a dick lol

D3x

D3x

Awards
  • Established
T-nation source... Seems legit.. probably only works well if you use biotest product

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve used the routine off and on for years. Definitely works natty or enhanced. I make adjustments when running it while enhanced.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
T-nation source... Seems legit.. probably only works well if you use biotest product
I heard people tend to use sarcasm when they’re feeling insecure about something.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m a big fan of whole body training. I break mine into:

Bench/row/squat/accessory work

Deadlift/OHP/Pull-ups/accessory work

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

For accessory work I do stuff for serratus anterior, lower traps, rhomboids, and maybe a couple sets of arms once a week.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Next week I'm going to switch up my current fullbody routine and follow the HST AM/PM split. Might start a training log since I will be logging something else as well, and I've never tried a split like this before, so logging it will be helpful for me to follow it correctly.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Nuke the dick out of it. I'll be following

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bit late to the thread, I'm a fan of the full body workout. If I get 5 workouts a week, minimum are 3 full body with at least 2 days of hitt. For me I have been losing weight for 3 years, this is a great way to trick the body, increase and keep a high heart rate. Weight keeps falling off, 1-1.5 lbs a week

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For accessory work I do stuff for serratus anterior, lower traps, rhomboids, and maybe a couple sets of arms once a week.
What do you do for lower traps? I've started doing seated shrugs with a slight recline. Also doing pause sets on seated rows using 2 individual handles (for max TUT / focused contractions).

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What do you do for lower traps? I've started doing seated shrugs with a slight recline. Also doing pause sets on seated rows using 2 individual handles (for max TUT / focused contractions).
Cables Y’s work really well. I do seated rows like that too.

pro45

Awards
Let's see some of your routines. Sets, exercises, reps, etc. Thanks for all the responses!!

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
307am 2 scoops cannibal riot
313am treadmill warmup with sauna jacket
KILLSWITCH ENGAGED MY LAST SERENADE
339am 27 minutes 309 calories 2.01 miles
GOD SMACK I STAND ALONE
340am warmup stretch
60 Torso twist 20lb db
25 push up 1 hand chest slap
60 situps
Repeats 2 sets
351am full body
Db bench 40lb x25
Reverse close grip pulldown 80lb x20
Db bench 60lb x15
Reverse close grip pulldown 100 lb x15
Seated db shrugs 60lb x20
Pec Dec 80lb x25
Leg extensions 60lb x20
Db shrugs 60 lbs x 20
Pec Dec 90lbx15
Leg extensions 60lb x20
Standing preacher curls 50lb x 20
Cable push down 80lb x20
Preacher curls 60lb x15
Cable push down 90 x15
Wide lat pulldown 100 lb x20
Db curls 40lb x20
Wide grip upright row 60lb x20
Repeat 2 sets
421am core
437am workout complete 1hr 24 minutes
PANDORA KILLSWITCH ENGAGED
garage temp64

Here is an example of my full body workout this morning, ignore the hype songs throughout the log. It's something I do In my personal log.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m a big fan of whole body training. I break mine into:

Bench/row/squat/accessory work

Deadlift/OHP/Pull-ups/accessory work

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

For all the compounds I do 3 to 5 sets of 5, except deadlifts which is 3sets of 3, or 5 sets of 2, or 5 singles. All accessory work is 3 sets of 8-10.

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Check out a program called big beyond belief. They have 4 and 6 day a week programs. It’s starts out each part done 2-3 times and ups the frequency and volume/intensity as you go. Love that program, but you’d better be eating on it. I had veins all over my body from doing this, all natural if that’s relevant

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Day 1
Squat: 4 sets 5-12 reps
Bench press 4 sets 5-12 reps
One arm DB row: 4 sets 5-12 reps
Seated DB press: 4 sets 5-12 reps
DB curls: 3 sets 5-12 reps
Skull crushers: 4 sets 5-12 reps
Trap bar paused shrugs: 2 sets 8-15 reps
Lying leg curl: 2 sets 5-12 reps

Day 2:
Trap Bar Deadlifts: 5 sets 5-12 reps
Dips: 5 sets 5-12 reps
Chin ups: 5 sets 5-12 reps
Standing military press: 5 sets 5-12 reps
Seated calf raise: 3 sets 8-15 reps
Kneeling cable crunch: 3 sets 8-15 reps
Leg extensions: 2 sets 5-12 reps

Day 3
Leg press: 4 sets 5-12 reps
Incline DB press: 4 sets 5-12 reps
Seated Cable row: 4 sets 5-12 reps
DB lateral raise: 4 sets 8-20 reps
Ez bar curl: 3 sets 5-12 reps
French press: 4 sets 5-12 reps
BB RDL: 2 sets 5-12 reps
DB shrugs: 1 set 8-15 reps
2+ minutes between each set. Extra calf+ab work can be done on off days. No cardio at the moment. TUT focus every other week which alters the rep ranges slightly and promotes connective tissue recovery and 1 min rest periods on TUT focus weeks

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do fortitude training. It’s 20bucks for the ebook and you get access to Scott Stevenson’s forum. Awesome program and excellent training program. Caters to your recovery and doesn’t get boring at all

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been doing full body for over 8 years. love it. 3 days a week. easy to fit into my busy life and fairly easy on my old body.
HST is my favorite.
This time of year I do a full body progressive load, 3 times a week and sometimes there are back to back days to fit into my weekly schedule.
If you can do a consistent M,W, F I suggest looking into HST.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What are you all finding doing full body EoD essentially vs a traditional 4-6 day split focusing on bodyparts aestetically and strength-wise?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are you all finding doing full body EoD essentially vs a traditional 4-6 day split focusing on bodyparts aestetically and strength-wise?
Consistent and better strength and muscle gains. Less time in the gym. More time with family. We grow outside the gym as is said right?

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes just curious. I used to throw in a full body day once on a while but never tried it as a true training regiment. Might give it a shot for a month or so. My problem is I love the gym so tough to stay away for more days than usual.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Fb 3-4 times a week for me. See way more gains on this than I ever did with a 1 DAW workout per body part or an upper lower split etc. If you make the training tough, you’ll enjoy your days off

btothefman

Awards
Doing FB every 2nd day now, moved on from push/pull/legs and I like it. Hurt a lot the first few weeks but then got better, feel stronger than ever I'm growing and breaking through plateaus.

FB is split by 3 programs, start each day/program with a heavy compound of either Squat / Dlift / CleanPress at 8 or 10 sets, then work the rest of the body in with one exercise minimum or two exercises max per body part.

Some days are harder than others so I'll cut it down to 1 exercise per body part if I need to, I like the flexibility to cut it to a 45 minute or 90 minute session depending how I feel.

Seem to work / huff&puff more with the FB program so come out of the gym feeling satisfied, have a much bigger appetite though.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was training full body five days a week, and have been doing that on and off for years. I switch between that and split routines with high volume.