Who Quit Caffeine: Why & How?

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only take 200mg in pill form in the morning and it gets the job done overall, but lately I've been thinking about tapering down and seeing what life is like without it. I've read for some, their focus increases and have less anxiety-related stuff.

I tend to get a mild crash at 3pm every day when it wears off and am looking to not have to deal with that.

I know 200mg a day is not much compared to others that use it, but just want to see who has been able to live caffeine free and if it improved things. ...I can't imagine lifting without that boost!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
@Mowglisml can chime in here. He has been off for about 4-5 months.
It is more of a mind over matter situation with caffeine intake and stims. Many people "think" you need it to take a pre-workout in order to have a good workout. The same with people who think they need to drink energy drinks to function on a day to day basis.

A mind is a powerful tool, don't get me wrong some of us live hectic lives where we are on the go 24/7 and the caffeine can aid us. Research also shows that caffeine has many benefits. It truly is depending on the person, mental fortitude, and why you need or want to use it. The best advice I can give you is to see how you feel with or without out. Does it affect your sleep when you take it? Does it affect your mood or day to day activity? It is really user depending. I have gone long spurts without it and spurts with it. I have found that I find the minimal difference, but I don't take a lot of caffeine (200-300mg MAX), but I know some people who take 1g a day.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take in a gram a day
it’s sucks when I go off so I don’t anymore lmao

Reactions: JYD
GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
..following along for others to chime in ..

for me - i can't quit at all .. most days 75-100mg ( mainly from focus XT ) works for me .. no crash or anything later in the day and feel focus & energized.

As for pre workout - i prefer non stims long as i have the pumps and i see veins popping out .. gives me that rush

as for quitting overall - i dont think i can ever do so .. i love my coffee and redbull+vodka and once a week i do treat myself to coke energy lol

(most addicting drug)

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is more of a mind over matter situation with caffeine intake and stims. Many people "think" you need it to take a pre-workout in order to have a good workout. The same with people who think they need to drink energy drinks to function on a day to day basis.

A mind is a powerful tool, don't get me wrong some of us live hectic lives where we are on the go 24/7 and the caffeine can aid us. Research also shows that caffeine has many benefits. It truly is depending on the person, mental fortitude, and why you need or want to use it. The best advice I can give you is to see how you feel with or without out. Does it affect your sleep when you take it? Does it affect your mood or day to day activity? It is really user depending. I have gone long spurts without it and spurts with it. I have found that I find the minimal difference, but I don't take a lot of caffeine (200-300mg MAX), but I know some people who take 1g a day.
I agree with everything Solution has said here. I stopped cold turkey because I experienced some horrible panic attacks after taking a PWO. Around this time I wasn't really taking sims either, just here and there 2 or 3 max times per week of the same PWO and felt fine...so Not sure what did it, how or why? but I just stopped taking any form of caffeine. I went like that for a good 2 months.

Like Solution said, your mind is stronger than you think. I wake up at 4:30 AM to be at work at 6:00 AM and I have done 4:00 AM workout sessions without caffeine. I slowly started introducing caffeine in the form of coffee with a single cup brewed at home (so ~70-80 mg caffeine?).. Solution sent me some c4 cans and I texted him afterward how 1/4 of the can started giving me jitters I think ~50mg caffeine. It probably was the other ingredients mixed in. ? not sure.

It honestly feels better being off. I drink a cup here and there with breakfast but I don't need it. I noticed less crashes and learned how to just workout without taking any PWO. like Nike says.. "JUST DO IT!"

If you are already thinking about stopping for a period of time, then yea go for it. Taper it down to 100mg for a week or so, or just stop flat out. You'll be surprised how quickly you will adapt. Also, listen to you body and get more sleep, if you can. If you get your 7-8 hrs, man you don't need 200 mg pill to start your day.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have gone periods without caffeine, most noticeable was when I was prepping for the MCAT.

I would recommend slowly tapering off (like cut that caffeine pill in half) then go completely off. Meanwhile double up on your multivitamin, take extra B-vitamins, vit C and find a good greens product to take daily. You’ll be surprised at what that can do for energy.

The worst that could happen is you piss out the B vitamins your body can’t use.

I did this “protocol” and weaned completely off caffeine for a few months but still had the energy to workout and study 8hrs a day. Definitely felt healthier too. Then on the day I took the MCAT, I had 1 big sip of a zero sugar monster and was wired for the whole 7hr test.

Another route would be to try some nootropics. There are loads of nootropics that have a stimulant effect without any real stimulants in the.
Nootropics Depot is a good source. you’ll have to do some research as to which nootropics to take.

Reactions: JYD
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I have been "almost" off of caffeine for almost a year....although I have been starting to slowly add it back in. I say almost off because I pretty much gave it up entirely - but I'll drink an occasional diet coke and I do drink decaf coffee which probably still has a small amount in it. For some reason the decaf has been sold out at almost all of my local stores, so I've been going with regular coffee here and there when I'm home because it's all I have on hand.

Why did I go off? One day I was drinking a huge cup of coffee in the middle of the afternoon and after taking a chug - I remember looking at that coffee and feeling very weird. I suddenly had an aversion to it and felt sick. At the time I probably was working on my 2nd pot of coffee for the day. I felt like I just overdid it so I gave it up the next day and switched to decaf. It is hard to explain why I suddenly had such an aversion.

Prior to this event, caffeine never seemed to effect me (or so I thought). I have literally dropped a full gram and gone to sleep soon after. I never felt hyped on it or anything. I didn't think I did at least. I would drink a monster drink 5X a week, a pot of coffee a day at least, and whatever caffeine was in my supplements.

Honestly, I felt like crap for 1 day after I stopped. Day 2 I felt run down a little, but not like day 1. By day 3 I was fine.

Ironically, soon after going off of it, I started waking up earlier. I used to DRAG myself out of bed at 6:45 - 7 AM. Suddenly I was waking up at 6:15, then 5:45, and so on. Not saying I was bursting with energy, but I realized that I must have been sleeping really poorly and no I was sleeping better and could actually wake up earlier and feel better.

Focus did improve, anxiety (although I don't really have much) went down, I just feel better.

I didn't become a lunatic about cutting it out, I still have it of course - but I'm much more aware of how it actually effects me and I definitely don't use caffeine too late in the day if I do use it.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with everything Solution has said here. I stopped cold turkey because I experienced some horrible panic attacks after taking a PWO. Around this time I wasn't really taking sims either, just here and there 2 or 3 max times per week of the same PWO and felt fine...so Not sure what did it, how or why? but I just stopped taking any form of caffeine. I went like that for a good 2 months.

Like Solution said, your mind is stronger than you think. I wake up at 4:30 AM to be at work at 6:00 AM and I have done 4:00 AM workout sessions without caffeine. I slowly started introducing caffeine in the form of coffee with a single cup brewed at home (so ~70-80 mg caffeine?).. Solution sent me some c4 cans and I texted him afterward how 1/4 of the can started giving me jitters I think ~50mg caffeine. It probably was the other ingredients mixed in. ? not sure.

It honestly feels better being off. I drink a cup here and there with breakfast but I don't need it. I noticed less crashes and learned how to just workout without taking any PWO. like Nike says.. "JUST DO IT!"

If you are already thinking about stopping for a period of time, then yea go for it. Taper it down to 100mg for a week or so, or just stop flat out. You'll be surprised how quickly you will adapt. Also, listen to you body and get more sleep, if you can. If you get your 7-8 hrs, man you don't need 200 mg pill to start your day.
i agree with this
I also drink coffee every morning as my routine, I brew a cup and sit on the couch with my iPad and surf some sites. Then when I make breakfast i brew a second cup and I like strong coffees. Than at work I usually have another cup for roll call and a pwo before I workout which usually is a am workout after 2 cups of coffee lol. And still don’t get jitters or anything anymore. I really need a stim break but starting a ec stack soon

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i agree with this
I also drink coffee every morning as my routine, I brew a cup and sit on the couch with my iPad and surf some sites. Then when I make breakfast i brew a second cup and I like strong coffees. Than at work I usually have another cup for roll call and a pwo before I workout which usually is a am workout after 2 cups of coffee lol. And still don’t get jitters or anything anymore. I really need a stim break but starting a ec stack soon
All: GREAT comments and feedback. Thank you, this is awesome and let's keep this thread going.

@BloodManor : what is an ec Stack?

I have been researching nootropics for a while now and had a good experience with Nootropimax in recent years, but stopped that one, because of the caffeine and it's probably been two years since I did that one.

I am going to post a similar thread in the Nootropics forum asking for recommendations on blends (Alpha Brain, Mind Lab Pro, etc.) that don't have caffeine if you want to follow that thread also.

Cheers, brothers!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
All: GREAT comments and feedback. Thank you, this is awesome and let's keep this thread going.

@BloodManor : what is an ec Stack?

I have been researching nootropics for a while now and had a good experience with Nootropimax in recent years, but stopped that one, because of the caffeine and it's probably been two years since I did that one.

I am going to post a similar thread in the Nootropics forum asking for recommendations on blends (Alpha Brain, Mind Lab Pro, etc.) that don't have caffeine if you want to follow that thread also.

Cheers, brothers!
EC Stack

An EC stack is a combination of ephedrine & caffeine

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

i agree 100%...it's a mind over matter situation with EVERY habit/addiction....even with the most serious addictions the physical detox only takes a week, then it's mental-you have to rewire the brain to convince it that the addicted substance is no longer required-mind over matter.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't like more than 150mg in pre's and the like. I can easily go without it as well. To me it's only there to help other compounds and not be a staple of itself. Try some panax ginseng or the like as a sub.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
i agree 100%...it's a mind over matter situation with EVERY habit/addiction....even with the most serious addictions the physical detox only takes a week, then it's mental-you have to rewire the brain to convince it that the addicted substance is no longer required-mind over matter.
Definitely agree with this one. it's all in your head. However, I don't have it in my head to quit caffeine :)

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not so long ago people had tons of energy, healthy bodies that responded well to training and diet and the best workouts of f there life without any stims whatsoever. I quit stims a year ago and am now in the best shape of my life.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not so long ago people had tons of energy, healthy bodies that responded well to training and diet and the best workouts of f there life without any stims whatsoever. I quit stims a year ago and am now in the best shape of my life.
Lol what? Brewed coffee has been in use since the 1500's; before that, warriors would grind green beans up with dried fruit, and make the OG Redbull energy bar, for use before combat. Tea was in use before then. Caffeine has a LOAD of health benefits; coffee and tea have even more, due to all the other substances present. If it was negatively affecting your health, you're doing it completely wrong, for example, if you're dropping 4 scoops of GOD OF RAGE Version FU before your 8pm workout, then wondering why you're sleeping 1.5hrs a night, and blaming caffeine for the results, you're wrong.

Studies show that the more coffee you drink, the less incidence of many diseases you'll have, and the better you'll age. Coffee is the #2 source of antioxidants in americans diets, and it's so fucking good for you, it's practically a vegetable.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lol what? Brewed coffee has been in use since the 1500's; before that, warriors would grind green beans up with dried fruit, and make the OG Redbull energy bar, for use before combat. Tea was in use before then. Caffeine has a LOAD of health benefits; coffee and tea have even more, due to all the other substances present. If it was negatively affecting your health, you're doing it completely wrong, for example, if you're dropping 4 scoops of GOD OF RAGE Version FU before your 8pm workout, then wondering why you're sleeping 1.5hrs a night, and blaming caffeine for the results, you're wrong.

Studies show that the more coffee you drink, the less incidence of many diseases you'll have, and the better you'll age. Coffee is the #2 source of antioxidants in americans diets, and it's so fucking good for you, it's practically a vegetable.

Go for it. Fill your boots. Yes, I agree coffee can be good for you. I still drink a coffee or two each day, but using stimmed pre-workouts and / or adding energy drinks and / or adding or other doses of stims to your day will bite many of us in the ass. And when they stop working for you and you feel like **** using them and all areas of your life are suffering and you feel worse without them - you will know what I mean. Lots of guys here are affected and lots of guys seem to be able stim their brains out without a problem - we all have choices to make. I am just sharing my experience and what I see over and over every day.
The pre-workouts these days would have definitely given them 1500's warriors a boost over what they had - I think some of the battles may still be going lol.

Last edited:
tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s practically a vegetable lol best line I’ve seen in a long time

/the internet

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree that caffeien (and coffee) have great benefits in the right doses, etc. ...For me, I'm just looking to see what my productivity is like without it and at least take a break from it while trying some other supplements that can aid in productivity and fight this brain fog I'm experiencing.

Keep the comments coming...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If it is in a meme on the internet, it is definitely truth.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If it is in a meme on the internet, it is definitely truth.
You're welcome to enter the url at the bottom of the 'meme' and read source info direct.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Great post. And image at the bottom. Hope Allan is doing well

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

i :love:coffee!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Me too! I better, I'm a coffee roaster by profession (among other things). :D
i knew that a long time ago, you've been at it awhile now-right?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i knew that a long time ago, you've been at it awhile now-right?
15 years, haha. I still have a more than full time day job, so I'm not really sure why I'm plugging along, but I am, and if nothing else, I've gotten pretty damn good at it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
15 years, haha. I still have a more than full time day job, so I'm not really sure why I'm plugging along, but I am, and if nothing else, I've gotten pretty damn good at it.
i keep telling myself, one of these days---i am going to order some of that coffee of yours!!!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i keep telling myself, one of these days---i am going to order some of that coffee of yours!!!
Pretty sure my sites been in my info here for 15 years as well, haha. Anytime brother, I can kick you a coupon.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ive done seven contest preparations, used it in every one, quit it a week or so after the competition, stayed off, for the most part until competition rolled around again