Who has done Blood Work while on Melatonin?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Ok gents,

Who here has had bloodwork done while on Melatonin? I'm specifically looking for estrogen/E2 levels.

The following and other related studies have peaked my interest and I am just curious if anyone saw any drops in E while on melatonin. I'm not sold on it being a replacement AI for a few reasons...just curious more than anything.

Anti-aromatase effect of resveratrol and melatonin on hormonal positive breast cancer cells co-cultured with breast adipose fibroblasts. - PubMed - NCBI

Melatonin inhibits aromatase promoter expression by regulating cyclooxygenases expression and activity in breast cancer cells

A melatonin concentration of 20 nM and resveratrol concentration of 20 μM have an aromatase inhibitory effect as potent as 20 nM letrozole, which is a clinically used anti-aromatase drug in breast cancer treatment.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Ok gents,

Who here has had bloodwork done while on Melatonin? I'm specifically looking for estrogen/E2 levels.

The following and other related studies have peaked my interest and I am just curious if anyone saw any drops in E while on melatonin. I'm not sold on it being a replacement AI for a few reasons...just curious more than anything.

Anti-aromatase effect of resveratrol and melatonin on hormonal positive breast cancer cells co-cultured with breast adipose fibroblasts. - PubMed - NCBI

Melatonin inhibits aromatase promoter expression by regulating cyclooxygenases expression and activity in breast cancer cells

A melatonin concentration of 20 nM and resveratrol concentration of 20 μM have an aromatase inhibitory effect as potent as 20 nM letrozole, which is a clinically used anti-aromatase drug in breast cancer treatment.
I'll add that I have been lazy and havn't done the math on what type of a dose would be needed to elicit a concentration level of 20nM, but I do have a study of 86 women that showed 3mg had NO EFFECT on circulating estrogen levels.

We also don't have any idea as to whether or not melatonin would have a systemic effect on estrogen vs affecting or having an affinity to affect specific cell/tissue types.

Which is one of the reasons I'm leary of most otc AIs....what happens in the petri dish often does not translate to the real world.

Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Apr;23(4):609-16. doi: 10.1007/s10552-012-9927-8. Epub 2012 Feb 28.
A randomized controlled trial of oral melatonin supplementation and breast cancer biomarkers.
Schernhammer ES1, Giobbie-Hurder A, Gantman K, Savoie J, Scheib R, Parker LM, Chen WY.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
Very interested in this topic. I have never heard any AI properties from melatonin but it would be awesome if it effects estrogen in a positive way.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely I'd be more interested in finding that out as well. I've taken melatonin on and off for a sleep aid over the past few years.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If 1-3mg of melatonin has any noticeable effect on hormones i'll be a monkey's uncle.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
If 1-3mg of melatonin has any noticeable effect on hormones i'll be a monkey's uncle.
It doesn't.

I have a study of 86 women who took 3mg per day and it had no noticeable impact on circulating estrogen.

My guess is there is no systemic reduction in estro, but you never know. Maybe a dose of say 6-10mg has a decent impact...maybe not.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I always pretty hesitant as soon as I see a study was done in cell cultures, but I'd be curious to see what other groups have looked at this and what they found, if anything.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think Coop had bloodwork done while experimenting with melatonin. But, I think he was mainly looking his T levels. Personally, I do not believe melatonin to have any AI properties.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It doesn't.

I have a study of 86 women who took 3mg per day and it had no noticeable impact on circulating estrogen.

My guess is there is no systemic reduction in estro, but you never know. Maybe a dose of say 6-10mg has a decent impact...maybe not.
Of course it doesn't. Hence the joke.

halljo

halljo

Awards
I was under the impression that Melatonin helped with sleep and helped increase Growth Hormone if used Pre-workout. Never heard of this possibility... interesting, but how safe if high dosing melatonin to possible achieve AI effects?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression that Melatonin helped with sleep and helped increase Growth Hormone if used Pre-workout. Never heard of this possibility... interesting, but how safe if high dosing melatonin to possible achieve AI effects?
Results in the study were invitro only.

Another invivo study showed 3mg/day had no effect on circulating estro.

No clue as to whether high dosed melatonin would have an effect or not. I'm also not suggesting anyone take high doses of melatonin, though it has been shown to be safe at pretty high doses.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Melatonin might possibly be involved via calmodulin, but honestly this is pointless for men (and only would really affect women near menopause).