Unanswered Which Form of Resistance Training is Best for Fat Loss; Any Research To Support Conclusions?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

There seems debate over which resistance training is best for fat loss. Can anyone tell me which one?

1. Traditional Strength Training, Such as Mark Rippetoe's 5*5?

I would think this, because the intensity is high. More intensity leads to greater impetus to rebuild, hence more metabolic boost.

2. Hypertrophy Training, Such as Hypertropy Max?

Muscle burns calories. Training targeted for muscle building is best.

3. Circuit Training

Circuit Training has more aerobic conditioning than other forms, given the less than one minute rest.

4. A combination of all of the above:

For example, doing a 5 X 5 with Starting Strength. Yet, having supersets for each one for hypertrophy.

Then, at the end, doing a circuit of machines.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's all about how much chemical energy your cells require, which you get through foods.

Regular cardio requires energy during the moment but the cells and fibres do not take much damage and to not need to repair when you stop.

HIIT requires energy during and something like the next 48 hours too, so more efficient for fat loss but requires harder work AND you focusing on that rather than say resistance training.

I usually go by the concept that "as long as a muscle is sore, it is not fully repaired, and until it is, it requires energy to do so".

Usually I try to have my whole body sore, all the time, by always hitting the muscle(s) that is/are not sore.

Last thing I want to point out:
People keep saying "try and do this or that since it will build muscle and more muscle is going to burn calories for you". Okay mate, go ahead and while in that deficit try and add pounds of muscle to get a few more calories burnt in the future. :) Where is the logic? You can aim for building 25lbs of muscle through your career, but if we are speaking fat loss for an event or say the summer, forget about this philosophy. You are not going to add a ton of muscles in weeks naturally. And if you were to, you would need to be in a surplus, which leads you to not having lost a single pound of fat.

Focus on the diet. 50 carbs pre workout and if you want to add 50 post. Not adding more carbs than this makes me lose weight every time. Of course it's not easy, but LOSING FAT is from an evolutionary standpoint bad, and is supposed to make you suffer during the process. And don't be afraid of dropping calories, we have plenty of calories stored as fat waiting for us to use. :)

btothefman

Awards
Read somewhere a while back that a mix of hypertrophy style training then HIIT is the best method for burning fat.

I paid for training protocols/ guide a couple of years back and they always followed resistance training with metcon, dropped plenty of fat and even increased muscle a little.

Consider IF and dropping carbs to only pre-post workout, that will help maintain muscle and torch fat.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Do you have any research that Hypertrophy Training + BodyWeight Finishers are the best for fat loss, without muscle loss?

btothefman

Awards
Here's one I saved which isn't the one I was thinking aboutthere is another study out there about Resistance training and doing short HIIT bursts between sets (like rowing) to increase EPOC / fat loss:

If I come across it will post up here - the difference was that profound something like 200 or 400% that it stuck with me.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The program that will result in the most calories burned. But that shouldn't be the question, you should seek to optimize fat loss while maintaining lean mass and strength. The Fat loss is going to be directly correlated to the energy deficit, so it there is many different roads that lead to Rome. I prefer the one where I am jacked and lean..

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just do any good training program and diet to get the fat loss. Diet would be a much better way to get there in my opinion, assuming solid training is in place.