Where Does Yoga Come Into Play In Bodybuilding? As Always, Any Scientific Proof?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

My best friend is a doctor and a yoga teacher on weekends.

I have heard many good things about Yoga. In particular, sports yoga is considered no frills, no Eastern spirituality, etc.

I know many pillars of fitness are things such as whole body strength, core strength, strength within range of motion, flexibility, stress and pain resistance, etc.

Can anyone recommend some Yoga regimens?

I think that maybe some choices poses might be better in between sets. For example, in between heavy squats, using some sort of yoga pose may help balance the muscle contractions whole body.

Any advice?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I'll preface this with the fact I don't do yoga, so maybe not perfectly relevant, but I have some thoughts on stretching during a session.

There does appear potential for stretching to possibly give some benefits if done in between sets for hypertrophy (this is very small but at least shows it doesn't appear to be negative).

I'd keep in mind for strength that duration and intensity of the stretching probably matters as it can alter force output, so not going to extreme discomfort or holding too long in between sets (although intense stretching after finishing a muscle group is a big thing in DC training FWIW).

There may be some science showing stretching the antagonist group could improve/preserve performance (and possibly light aerobic work could help too).

That said in a practical sense I find when I am working out hard enough the last thing I want to do is stretch between a set of hard squats or deadlifts. I do prescribe stretching and activation between initial build up sets for some if perceived movement limitations exist (so if overhead position suffers pressing overhead or snatching maybe working on that or if depth is limited in squats aiming for that improvement).

If you are going to do Yoga I'd just do Yoga in its own scenario or time-frame though and probably not between sets of lifting.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Breath work and focus alone, I’ve found extremely beneficial for lifting and all physical performance

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would do Yoga on separate days or after. I used to do a hot yoga class called Yin, it was not very hard, more slow tempo with a lot of long stretches to the point it hurt, but, after class you felt very refreshed and lose. If I had more time I would do that class once a week. I’m not a fan of stretching during and I only stretch minimal before lifting, but for some it might work great, do what works for you.

Ryankirsch

Awards
In for the comments.
I was looking into yoga as well , specifically for strength building.
Static holds seem to build strength very well.

Personally I was planning on doing yoga seperalty from my weight lifting.
Anyone know any good yoga apps that focus on strength or for bodybuilding?

OP Glad you brought this topic up
Thanks

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
as others have said, stretching and breathing are great components of yoga. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stretching pre/intra training, as stated, should only be done to address specific movement limitations. Too much will lower power output and increase risk of injury (just like being too bound up). Stretching after training can help build muscle and feel better/recover faster between sessions.

Actual yoga probably belongs away from training. My wife is a big fan, but her weekly session is on an off-day the night before deadlifts the next morning. This leaves more energy and time in training for more important activation drills/actual warmups while still being able to hit optimal positions.

Pigeon pose immediately after lower body days for 2-3 minutes before leaving has been good for us without wasting time on fluff.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stretching pre/intra training, as stated, should only be done to address specific movement limitations. Too much will lower power output and increase risk of injury (just like being too bound up). Stretching after training can help build muscle and feel better/recover faster between sessions.

Actual yoga probably belongs away from training. My wife is a big fan, but her weekly session is on an off-day the night before deadlifts the next morning. This leaves more energy and time in training for more important activation drills/actual warmups while still being able to hit optimal positions.

Pigeon pose immediately after lower body days for 2-3 minutes before leaving has been good for us without wasting time on fluff.