Where Can I Learn the Best Lifting Cues?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

We can see from forum posts that I have spent 20 years in the gym, showed up, put in the time and effort, etc. but still have mediocre results.

I always try to see what I have been missing and improve. I think almost every one of us on the forum can claim the same.

1. Just this last week, I revisited the squat and learned the cue "Keep your heels firmly planted and envision yourself 'spreading the floor with your feet."

Likewise, other exercises requiring perfect shoulder position (no rounded shoulders) say to "pretend like there is a bug or grape in each armpit, and you are trying to crush them."

2. I actually do see some results, even though the changes are subtle:

- My squat range of motion can go deeper than before, with no wobbling
- I can sit with better posture like they told us in the military (butt halfway in the chair, feet 45-degree angles, shoulders back, palms on chair).
- My wife says I stand better and look thinner
- I notice my pelvic tilt on the right side is much less
- My core has always been my weakest area. Now, it seems like my abs tuck in, and I do not look so "pregnant"

3. This was all after 2 cues, for the same exercises I have done for 20+ years.

Can anyone recommend YouTube videos, books, etc. that teach perfect cues, like these ones I have been missing?

I know Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength video clips are good, but there must be more.