What's your COVID-19 gameplan?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Again, I would like to point out that even if it “only” has a similar death rate to the flu, given there is (or at least was at first) no immunity to it, so if it was allowed to run rampant/uncontrolled (in a “business as usual” scenario, which, again, I know you didn’t suggest we do) it could have been a HUGE problem, and could have easily overwhelmed hospitals in densely populated areas, which would have increased the death rates.

TL;DR: even if death rates are “only” comparable to the flu, COVID poses a much bigger threat than the seasonal flu does

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Again, I would like to point out that even if it “only” has a similar death rate to the flu, given there is (or at least was at first) no immunity to it, so if it was allowed to run rampant/uncontrolled (in a “business as usual” scenario, which, again, I know you didn’t suggest we do) it could have been a HUGE problem, and could have easily overwhelmed hospitals in densely populated areas, which would have increased the death rates.
Which is why policy in New York City shouldn't be the policy for Topeka, Kansas.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Re NZ...absolutely, the country is entirely surrounded/isolated by ocean, and there are no "states". Much easier (and less confusion) for the NZ government to have a unified singular voice of mandate.
Having one voice has made it very easy for us to understand. Plus our Prime Minister stuck to her guns about it being a minimum 4 weeks, even once numbers started declining earlier and questions were being asked about lifting restrictions prematurely.

It's also much less political then the US seems to make things. All I ever hear is "Republican this, Democrat that" in response to everything. Those parties couldnt unify to save themselves, let alone each other.

Politics overarching goal should be about what is best for the people.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So the WHO said this isn't transmitted from human to human and the CDC warns against anti-body tests...which you just stated are 100% accurate.

They don't seem to have a good track record.
I dont actually think they ever said it couldn't be transmitted between people. In the early stages it was "no reported instances", which doesnt rule it out.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont actually think they ever said it couldn't be transmitted between people. In the early stages it was "no reported instances", which doesnt rule it out.
Januray 14th

"Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China"

uh huh.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Januray 14th

"Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China"

uh huh.
And as they continued the investigation, when did they ever say that it couldn't be transmitted between humans? "Preliminary" and "no clear evidence" is exactly what they should have said if they didn't know one way or the other at that point.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
And as they continued the investigation, when did they ever say that it couldn't be transmitted between humans? "Preliminary" and "no clear evidence" is exactly what they should have said if they didn't know one way or the other at that point.
If you want to believe that, go for it.

Its not like the CCP or WHO hid anything.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you want to believe that, go for it.

Its not like the CCP or WHO hid anything.
CCP probably did hide quite a bit and are continuing to, but that has nothing to do with whether the WHO said it didn't transmit between humans. For the sake of argument, let's say the WHO was hiding something too. That doesn't change the fact that "we haven't found anything yet" doesn't mean "humans aren't passing it to each other, nothing to worry about."

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
CCP probably did hide quite a bit and are continuing to, but that has nothing to do with whether the WHO said it didn't transmit between humans. For the sake of argument, let's say the WHO was hiding something too. That doesn't change the fact that "we haven't found anything yet" doesn't mean "humans aren't passing it to each other, nothing to worry about."

Ok.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I've already posted at length in this thread about my thoughts on WHO and their involvement.

Aleks summed up what I was referring to though - no clear evidence is not the same as saying it isnt happening.

The CCP reported 0 new cases between the 2nd and 14th January. 0. They fed that back to WHO who reported no clear evidence of human to human transmission as, at that time, the CCP had stated 0 new cases in over 10 days despite apparent widespread contact tracing.

The WHO regurgitated what it was told as they have no powers to just enter China and investigate for themselves.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've already posted at length in this thread about my thoughts on WHO and their involvement.

Aleks summed up what I was referring to though - no clear evidence is not the same as saying it isnt happening.

The CCP reported 0 new cases between the 2nd and 14th January. 0. They fed that back to WHO who reported no clear evidence of human to human transmission as, at that time, the CCP had stated 0 new cases in over 10 days despite apparent widespread contact tracing.

The WHO regurgitated what it was told as they have no powers to just enter China and investigate for themselves.
I don't think I asked you. I said Ok. I believe otherwise.

Last edited: