Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I see Trump is starting to realise the extent of it. Bit late to the party, but better late than never.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see Trump is starting to realise the extent of it. Bit late to the party, but better late than never.
I'm not so sure that's accurate:

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-coronavirus-could-have-been-percolating-innocently-in-humans-for-years

The COVID-19 Virus May Have Been in Humans For Years, Study Suggests

JACINTA BOWLER
30 MARCH 2020
As COVID-19 has hitchhiked around the globe, causing lockdowns, pneumonia and fear, scientists have been racing to determine where the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus has come from.
While we don't have all the answers yet - including whether it came from an animal reservoir - a new analysis has definitively put to rest the conspiracies that claim it's a lab-made disease.

The study raises some interesting possibilities regarding the origin of the new coronavirus. One of the scenarios suggests the virus may have been circulating harmlessly in human populations for quite a while before it became the pandemic that's now stopped the world in its tracks.
And:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing/italian-scientists-investigate-possible-earlier-emergence-of-coronavirus-idUSKBN21D2IG

Italian scientists investigate possible earlier emergence of coronavirus

Emilio Parodi, Silvia Aloisi
4 MIN READ

MILAN (Reuters) - Italian researchers are looking at whether a higher than usual number of cases of severe pneumonia and flu in Lombardy in the last quarter of 2019 may be a signal that the new coronavirus might have spread beyond China earlier than previously thought.

FILE PHOTO: An employee controls the temperature of a man at the entrance of a supermarket, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, in Milan, Italy March 23, 2020. REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo - RC2TPF994GAU/File Photo
Adriano Decarli, an epidemiologist and medical statistics professor at the University of Milan, said there had been a “significant” increase in the number of people hospitalized for pneumonia and flu in the areas of Milan and Lodi between October and December last year.
He told Reuters he could not give exact figures but “hundreds” more people than usual had been taken to hospital in the last three months of 2019 in those areas - two of Lombardy’s worst hit cities - with pneumonia and flu-like symptoms, and some of those had died.
Decarli is reviewing the hospital records and other clinical details of those cases, including people who later died at home, to try to understand whether the new coronavirus epidemic had already spread to Italy back then.
“We want to know if the virus was already here in Italy at the end of 2019, and - if yes - why it remained undetected for a relatively long period so that we could have a clearer picture in case we have to face a second wave of the epidemic,” he said.
Factor in Swedens response (and Britains, initially):

If there’s been a fall in custom at the Nyhavn restaurant, it’s hardly noticeable. Groups of drinkers huddle under heat lamps out on Möllevång Square, the centre of nightlife in the Swedish city of Malmö, seemingly oblivious to the virus spreading through Europe.
“It’s the Swedish trust in government,” says Linus Bohman, 28. “No one told me you have to stay home right now,” agrees his friend, Fredrik Glückman, a history student at Lund University. “We’re not in quarantine. And as soon as we hear from our government that we have to stay in, like you do in Britain, then we will do it.”
“But not,” Bohman adds, “if Boris Johnson says it.”
While every other country in Europe has been ordered into ever more stringent coronavirus lockdown, Sweden has remained the exception. Schools, kindergartens, bars, restaurants, ski resorts, sports clubs, hairdressers: all remain open, weeks after everything closed down in next door Denmark and Norway.
Universities have been closed, and on Friday, the government tightened the ban on events to limit them to no more than 50 people. But if you develop symptoms, you can still go back to work or school just two days after you feel better. If a parent starts showing symptoms, they’re allowed to continue to send their children to school.
It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

How many lives are they willing to sacrifice so as not to lockdown and risk greater effects on the economy?
Joacim Rocklöv, professor of epidemiology, Umeå University
But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”
Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”
His team at the Public Health Agency of Sweden is critical of the Imperial College paper that warned this month that 250,000 people in the UK would die if the government failed to introduce more draconian measures. A week later Johnson ordered the police to implement a partial lockdown to combat the virus, telling people they “must stay at home”.
“We have had a fair amount of people looking at it and they are sceptical,” says Tegnell. “They think Imperial chose a number of variables that gave a prognosis that was quite pessimistic, and that you could just as easily have chosen other variables that gave you another outcome. It’s not a peer-reviewed paper. It might be right, but it might also be terribly wrong. In Sweden, we are a bit surprised that it’s had such an impact.”
And it's clear that in a wide range of possible outcomes, we in the US are being steered to accept the worst possible out come. Why? Oh right, it's an election year, and TDS.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A friend shared this on FB. She lives in Spain.

I wondered why the delivery guy looked a bit odd...They leave stuff under the bench and sometimes we leave a note out.
Yesterday my housemate had to go to hospital for treatment...I left the following out for her return...

1. Take your trousers and jumper off and put in the bag.
2. Wash your face and hands.
3. Wipe your car keys and hide in the garden.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring the note in.
:D

soxbsbll05

soxbsbll05

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Dude that guy just sold them for $150! Dropped the price and I missed it
Wish people here would sell theirs for that price. EVERY listing for adjustable dumbbells, no matter the brand, are $800+. Ridiculous.

Luckily I found a local retailer who is getting a couple PowerBlocks in next week and I reserved a set.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wish people here would sell theirs for that price. EVERY listing for adjustable dumbbells, no matter the brand, are $800+. Ridiculous.

Luckily I found a local retailer who is getting a couple PowerBlocks in next week and I reserved a set.
He’s probably getting high and is unemployed, that’s my guess. Went from 1150 to 150. Sounds like he’s dope sick

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

He’s probably getting high and is unemployed, that’s my guess. Went from 1150 to 150. Sounds like he’s dope sick

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Seems like a safe assumption...lol (sarcasm). You must have a damn crystal ball to be able to tell hes an unemployed dope fiend just from the price he sells dbs at.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Seems like a safe assumption...lol (sarcasm). You must have a damn crystal ball to be able to tell hes an unemployed dope fiend just from the price he sells dbs at.
true, for all we know he is a unemployed family man hard pressed for cash...

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m just being an asshole because I was so livid that 1. He tried selling them for $1100 2. He then dropped it to $150 a day later 3. I didn’t spot this an hour earlier

I’m sure he’s a decent dude I’m just being judgmental. I’m also 8 years sober so that’s always my first thought

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’m just being an asshole because I was so livid that 1. He tried selling them for $1100 2. He then dropped it to $150 a day later 3. I didn’t spot this an hour earlier

I’m sure he’s a decent dude I’m just being judgmental. I’m also 8 years sober so that’s always my first thought
AA would call that stinkin thinkin....just sayin

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'm not so sure that's accurate:

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-coronavirus-could-have-been-percolating-innocently-in-humans-for-years

And:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing/italian-scientists-investigate-possible-earlier-emergence-of-coronavirus-idUSKBN21D2IG

Factor in Swedens response (and Britains, initially):

And it's clear that in a wide range of possible outcomes, we in the US are being steered to accept the worst possible out come. Why? Oh right, it's an election year, and TDS.
The first article you cited states they are hypothesizing over 2 scenarios, but you only highlighted the first one which is that it has been in humans for a long time.

The second scenario mentions this: Then, as a result of gradual evolutionary changes over years or perhaps decades, the virus eventually gained the ability to spread from human-to-human and cause serious, often life-threatening disease."

I'm also not sure why people keep referencing politics and elections in the US. It's a global pandemic, and so local elections in the US have no bearing on what happens in countries like Australia and New Zealand. Yes, it applies to you, but surely you cant be thinking the entire world is on lockdown to propagate a fear about coronavirus that steers elections in a US candidates favour?

I mean, ft.com has stated that 20% of the total infected develop severe respiratory problems as a result as of 19th March. That's significant.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The first article you cited states they are hypothesizing over 2 scenarios, but you only highlighted the first one which is that it has been in humans for a long time.

The second scenario mentions this: Then, as a result of gradual evolutionary changes over years or perhaps decades, the virus eventually gained the ability to spread from human-to-human and cause serious, often life-threatening disease."

I'm also not sure why people keep referencing politics and elections in the US. It's a global pandemic, and so local elections in the US have no bearing on what happens in countries like Australia and New Zealand. Yes, it applies to you, but surely you cant be thinking the entire world is on lockdown to propagate a fear about coronavirus that steers elections in a US candidates favour?
if a meteor was on a collision course with earth and the US about to be wiped out....democrats and republicans would be pointing fingers and playing the blame game rather than working together to solve the problem...sad but true.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I mean, ft.com has stated that 20% of the total infected develop severe respiratory problems as a result as of 19th March. That's significant.
I mean I'm pretty sure I mentioned a wide range of possibilities, for a reason? But maybe not, lol wtf.

You can act like what happens in the US election doesn't matter to you or in other countries, but you'd be wrong. It's not the end all be all, but it has an effect. The reason we keep mentioning it? A majority of members here are American, of course.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I mean I'm pretty sure I mentioned a wide range of possibilities, for a reason? But maybe not, lol wtf.

You can act like what happens in the US election doesn't matter to you or in other countries, but you'd be wrong. It's not the end all be all, but it has an effect. The reason we keep mentioning it? A majority of members here are American, of course.
Except that isn't what you said, "And it's clear that in a wide range of possible outcomes, we in the US are being steered to accept the worst possible out come. Why? Oh right, it's an election year, and TDS."

Trump ran on and continues to push worst case scenarios based on zero data supporting this position, but taking precautions based on actual events is TDS?! People, including some in this thread, pushed Trump scare tactics like immigrants bringing diseases here (even when they were coming from countries with better vaccination percentages than the US) and MS-13 based on imaginary stories, yet most of the world is in agreement on the impact of this still-ongoing disease and you're claiming that's because of TDS and an election year? Even Trump is finally being forced to admit that the numbers may reach 200k fatalities if we're lucky, so all the idiots chanting "well the flu kills blah blah blah every year" can finally see how dumb they sound.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not talking about Trump's campaign, or what he ran on. If he ran on worst case scenarios, that does not mean the media, and some in the is thread, aren't pushing worst case scenarios when it comes to covid. Only one is relevant in the context of this thread.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm not talking about Trump's campaign, or what he ran on. If he ran on worst case scenarios, that does not mean the media, and some in the is thread, aren't pushing worst case scenarios when it comes to covid. Only one is relevant in the context of this thread.
You brought him in when you claimed it was due to TDS, which is exactly what you're doing from the other side. My examples were to show that Trump supporters were vocal when there was a completely made-up story of potential disease coming into the US from illegal immigrants, but now want to pretend this is all some liberal plot against Trump when there actually is a disease here and now. Not everything is a national emergency, but at the same time, not everything is blown out of proportion as some sort of trap for Trump. There are plenty of liberals who will never give Trump credit for anything and are willing to spin non-issues into issues. However, just as recently as a few weeks ago when Trump and Fox were claiming this wasn't a big deal, people were actively getting together simply because a Democrat advised them to keep a safe distance. They were willing to risk their health to stick it to some senator or actress that couldn't give two @#$%s about them. The knee jerk reaction of thinking that people care about an issue because it must stem from their hatred of Trump is the same exact reaction you're labeling people with TDS.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So get this!

This morning, my GF heard from an old friend that is now the owner of a small gym right in my hometown. He obviously had to close with other nonessential businesses weeks ago. He still uses the area himself to workout and that’s it.

He subsequently asked my GF if she would be interested in going in there to workout alone if he gave her a key. She declined, but said I know someone that would love to!

We went down to meet him within hours to get my key, and I proceeded to give him $45 for the month and he agreed to a refund or partial if/when things get more restricted here in Maine. The place was absolutely perfect and I was more than excited!

I planned on going back in later on this afternoon to workout. Unfortunately, in a matter of hours, the governor issued an enforceable stay at home order. Typical!

Meanwhile, I am required to work under unhealthy conditions and exponential risks of exposure. Ironic isn’t it?

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
So get this!

This morning, my GF heard from an old friend that is now the owner of a small gym right in my hometown. He obviously had to close with other nonessential businesses weeks ago. He still uses the area himself to workout and that’s it.

He subsequently asked my GF if she would be interested in going in there to workout alone if he gave her a key. She declined, but said I know someone that would love to!

We went down to meet him within hours to get my key, and I proceeded to give him $45 for the month and he agreed to a refund or partial if/when things get more restricted here in Maine. The place was absolutely perfect and I was more than excited!

I planned on going back in later on this afternoon to workout. Unfortunately, in a matter of hours, the governor issued an enforceable stay at home order. Typical!

Meanwhile, I am required to work under unhealthy conditions and exponential risks of exposure. Ironic isn’t it?
I’d think you could still go if there aren’t any huge windows that show someone is inside using it. You could also have your gf drop you off and pick you up so an empty car isn’t sitting in a parking lot. She could even go to the grocery store during the hour you’re in there so she has an ‘essential’ reason to be out. I know this is all toeing the line, but I’m just throwing this out there for you lol.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just found out, someone at my wife's office was exposed to Covid-19.
She's upstairs crying right now. She has fucking asthma and is scared.

I fucking hate fucking assholes that endanger other people's fucking lives.
That’s pretty messed up. I’m sorry for y’all...

Same thing happened to a senior at my Gym’s grandson, 2 women were exposed to COVID-19 and went to work anyway...

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’d think you could still go if there aren’t any huge windows that show someone is inside using it. You could also have your gf drop you off and pick you up so an empty car isn’t sitting in a parking lot. She could even go to the grocery store during the hour you’re in there so she has an ‘essential’ reason to be out. I know this is all toeing the line, but I’m just throwing this out there for you lol.
I love it!!

I don’t think there are many windows, I wasn’t scoping it out for that at the time...haha! Shyt, I could even park at the grocery store...it’s very close. Maybe this could still work, we were in contact after the order was given, and the owner is going to keep going himself until the cops tell him not too.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just found out, someone at my wife's office was exposed to Covid-19.
She's upstairs crying right now. She has fucking asthma and is scared.

I fucking hate fucking assholes that endanger other people's fucking lives.
Sorry to hear that. As long as your wife was practicing good personal hygiene herself and not touching her own face with her hands, or in direct exposure of a (potentially) infected persons cough or sneeze; her chances are very good that she was not infected from this particular circumstance. She needs to think positive and try not to get too upset. It’s the best we can do for those of us that have to continue working around other people due to the nature of our jobs, and the increased risks present at some of our jobs.

I can’t even begin to count the number of high risk exposures I have encountered at work. As you know, I am at VERY high risk though anyway. Even though I have been protected recently with my positive patients, I am certainly still not fully protected. Yesterday, my face was within a foot of a coughing positive patient because I had to secure/manage their airway with just my N95 and a plastic face shield- which is open at the bottom. I should be wearing a hood PAPR device with my level of close exposure, but we don’t have enough....so they don’t give us any. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if if the virus is incubating in me right now, and I am being completely serious.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear that. As long as your wife was practicing good personal hygiene herself and not touching her own face with her hands, or in direct exposure of a (potentially) infected persons cough or sneeze; her chances are very good that she was not infected from this particular circumstance. She needs to think positive and try not to get too upset. It’s the best we can do for those of us that have to continue working around other people due to the nature of our jobs, and the increased risks present at some of our jobs.

I can’t even begin to count the number of high risk exposures I have encountered at work. As you know, I am at VERY high risk though anyway. Even though I have been protected recently with my positive patients, I am certainly still not fully protected. Yesterday, my face was within a foot of a coughing positive patient because I had to secure/manage their airway with just my N95 and a plastic face shield- which is open at the bottom. I should be wearing a hood PAPR device with my level of close exposure, but we don’t have enough....so they don’t give us any. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if if the virus is incubating in me right now, and I am being completely serious.
Doing Gods work out there! All the best to you and your fam, especially while you are putting yourself in harm's way for the better of everyone else!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Always remember that mortality isnt the be-all-end-all. In approx 20% of total cases the symptoms are more severe, which could require care by a GP or hospital. If you slow the rate of infection (practice social distancing, maintain good hygiene etc) then hospitals can keep up with demand and better care for the more serious cases. If the rate of infection does now slow, hospitals will become overwhelmed and there won't be enough beds for those who need it.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
im so pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger on a good og power tower for 75 i found on craigs like a week and half ago
only problem was it was 3 hour drive to get ... two days later it was gone and now theres literally nothing online

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
im so pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger on a good og power tower for 75 i found on craigs like a week and half ago
only problem was it was 3 hour drive to get ... two days later it was gone and now theres literally nothing online
HI-MAT Adjustable Power Tower... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYXNZ3C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I bought this last week, really good price and does lots of stuff. Not the greatest thing in the world but absolutely does the job.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
here is a anecdotal tidbit from my personal experience...I was stationed onboard uss eienhower for a good portion of my time in navy. I don't know how many of you have ever been onboard a navy ship, but the living quarters are very tight. my berthing compartment housed 60 men. we slept on bunks called tree's because they were 3 high with the next set divided by a metal partition. the showers were communal much like prisons. mess halls were equally communal.

my point being if someone caught a cold or flu pretty much everyone was going to catch it...I can't remember a single time of myself or any large group ever being sick from cold or flu...now I hear the covid 19 virus is spreading on navy ships---this makes a believer out of me that coronavirus is something to take very seriously, much more than common cold or flu-this stuff is for real, take every precaution to protect yourself even if not for yourself for those more at risk.

Last edited:
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Global reported cases: 928,467
Global reported recovered: 193,649
Global reported deaths: 46,514.

Recovered %: 20.85%
Mortality: 5%

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've never trusted their numbers. Especially their latest infection data showing it's almost stamped out.

Unless the rumours of them shooting infected are to be believed lol
maybe running over infected with tanks?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
They were locking people inside apartment buildings by welding the doors shut.