What Type of Intermittent Fasting Works Best? Research? Does a Weekend Plan Work?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

It seems like intermittent fasting has been the rage for the last ten years.

1. Where is the best quality research to prove it works, better than just cutting back calories in general?

2. Would it matter whether the deficit is daily, weekely, monthly, etc.?

I heard the body works on 75 hour cycles, increasing or decreasing TSH in response to caloric surplus or excess.

3. Strictly psychologically speaking, I would propose having the diet be on weekdays, and extra eating on weekends.

Mike Whitfield is one of my favorite authors. He proposes "Diet Free Weekends".

4. If I had to assign numbers to it, it would be at least ten calories per pound of bodyweight on the weekdays, and at most 20 calories per pound of bodyweight on Friday evening, all Saturday, all Sunday.

5. If a person wanted to be extra good, they could time nutrients. For instance, before, during and after workouts, have a protein + carb mix.

During the rest of the day, eat only lean proteins and vegetables.

I myself cannot be so strict, as I must eat some carbs at every meal. I would try something more moderate like "Larry North's Slimdown for Life".

6. Any critique on any of this?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hi Everyone,

It seems like intermittent fasting has been the rage for the last ten years.

1. Where is the best quality research to prove it works, better than just cutting back calories in general?
Better as in what!?
The caloric deficit is what matters at the end of the day
Eating that in a smaller window does not correlate to greater progress.
There is also more research showing meals spaced out give a greater response to Muscle Protein Synthesis.

Now if eating in smaller windows helps keep you "Consistent" With your intake and staying on your plan, then, by all means, utilize that if it works for you. At the end of the day, it doesn't modify the fact that the net caloric balance is what matters most to get from point A to point B

Sounds like you are talking about Lyle's PSMF with Protein + Veggies throughout the week and then carb-ups on the weekend depending on your progress

You can buy that book here: