What should I do to get ready for Highland games?

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
There's a local Highland games competition that's every year around me. I was looking to do it next year just for fun, but what should I do to get ready for the throws? I've done track all four years of high school so I'm used to shot put but this looks completely different.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's a local Highland games competition that's every year around me. I was looking to do it next year just for fun, but what should I do to get ready for the throws? I've done track all four years of high school so I'm used to shot put but this looks completely different.
I have no idea. Id Google it, Im sure you can find some training tips.

oyvind

oyvind

Awards
  • Established
Lift some heavy stuff, and do some testosterone man:)

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Lol I was just seeing it advertised a while back and see Chad Wesley smith do it got me interested. I'm a powerlifter so I already do heavy lifting. Just figured I'd go and have some fun one weekend if it wasn't close to a meet.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Plus. What's better than throwing heavy **** in a kilt?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look for Matt Vincent's throwing lab ebook and you'll have technical advice on the events. He also has a training lab ebook which might help with programming for it or might be a General programming thing, I dunno.

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
Strongman competition rents were actually inspired by the highland game events

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Yea matt Vincent is what got me interested in the Highland games initially. I'm going to have to look for them.