What Role Does Walking Have in Bodybuilding? Hopefully, Nothing?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone,

These last two months, as my country has opened up, I am walking day and night with a mask. My watch pedometer almost always logs over 10,000 steps a day, sometimes even two or three times that.

I know, for most people who speak about intensity, efficiency, etc. walking does not fit the bill. However, I have found there is nothing for stress relief quite like walking with a music player on.

1. At what point does regular walking become detrimental to bodybuilding goals?

To me, I think almost no amount of walking could be bad, especially if someone is doing mobility exercises.

Yes, hiking in tall mountains, jogging, etc. can be counter productive, but not walking.

2. Can walking be used as a standalone part of cardio?

My guess is "no", at leas 20-30 minutes, 3x a week, on something like HIIT stationery bike, etc. are good to build up conditioning.

3. Of course, I know the real transformation is getting back into the gym and weightlifting. My guess is everyone on this forum just loves barbell training, and what benefits it brings. There is literally nothing like it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I doubt most people could walk more than what is counterproductive to their goals and not everything is just about adding muscle.

The cardiac benefits of sustained lower intensity work helps with other physiological benefits that harder levels and lifting do not support so it is very beneficial IMO.

Even more so in the sense that the struggle to continue to lose weight (often do to a decrease in NEAT) can be somewhat offset by walking goals and that psychologically it is highly beneficial as well.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Keep walking, good for your heart, lowers body fat and if you are like me it gives you a sense of well being (clears the mind)

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Walking has tons of benefits and Very easy on the body. I do a few miles a day walking through the trails and it has helped me throughout my cut. I get bored doing treadmill and bikes

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys.

1. I fully agree with you. Especially walking or riding a bike outdoors can be a great way to move around and not be like a mouse or Gerbil on one of those stationary wheels.

2. It sounds like while lifting is essential, walking or bike riding can be done in nearly unlimited amounts. I am trying for 10,000 steps every day, and am doing close to 15,000 steps.

Perhaps 15,000 steps can be my daily minimum. I will see how it works.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good Goal !

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Literally is highly beneficial. If I had the time I would walk 2 hours fasted every morning. No inflammatory issues (such as those from running), great for mental health (try to keep it in nature and breathe in through the nose), great for recovery, great for honing proper movement mechanics etc.

walking is literally the best cardio for bodybuilding imo if you ignore the time it takes to burn the calories you want to burn. Walking uphill can help with that though.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like walking behind a lawn mower !

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I see walking as a great alternative to cardio when dieting. Keep NEAT elevated, burn a few calories and absolutely no interference with training or any concerns with potential muscle wasting. Plus, walking in general is just a good thing to do.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I walk a lot and notice the benefits everyone has listed. Try to hit between 20k-25k a day now. Usually its 23-24 curently. This includes my cardio on the treadmill.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys. I always thought walking was a waste of time, because intensity is low.

Now, I realize it may not be the case at all. Yes, two hours a day dedicated to walking may be a lot, but with mobile devices that hold lots of music, audio files, even videos, etc. it may be a much different story than years ago.

I cannot wait for gyms to open up, so I can do the intense weight lifting and range of motion training; that will make the big difference to cause my strength and muscle mass to get up. But, for many subtle benefits that add up, walking hopefully will be part of my life for a long time.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys. I always thought walking was a waste of time, because intensity is low.

Now, I realize it may not be the case at all. Yes, two hours a day dedicated to walking may be a lot, but with mobile devices that hold lots of music, audio files, even videos, etc. it may be a much different story than years ago.

I cannot wait for gyms to open up, so I can do the intense weight lifting and range of motion training; that will make the big difference to cause my strength and muscle mass to get up. But, for many subtle benefits that add up, walking hopefully will be part of my life for a long time.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established