What protein powder now days is the goto?

MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've laid off of this stuff as before I just ate more food. Now I'm older, life's real and I have no time, I'm looking to get some powder for a fast grab at food.

Costco has the ON gold for like 60 for 6# I believe. Back in the day Vitamin Shoppe, their Whey Tec wasn't bad. But again I don't know What's what.

I get hungry late at night so this would be used pre bed too at times.

Any help here fellas.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally am a big fan of PES Select when you can get it for about $10/pound or so. ON Gold Standard has always been reliable too. APS Isomorph, Scivation Whey, and ANS' Whey are all quality IMO.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Vegan protein is the way to go. Any types of Whey protein will cause inflammation in the body no matter if your allergic to it or not. Not only does a lot of vegan protein have a high amino acid content but also a lot of anti inflammatory blends and fiber blends added to it. ON is the worst of the worst, just heavily advertised and full of fillers.

MrOneEyedBoh

MrOneEyedBoh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So inflammation is the gas we get from it?

What kinds of vegan do you recommend, like pea?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Vegan protein is the way to go. Any types of Whey protein will cause inflammation in the body no matter if your allergic to it or not. Not only does a lot of vegan protein have a high amino acid content but also a lot of anti inflammatory blends and fiber blends added to it. ON is the worst of the worst, just heavily advertised and full of fillers.
Not sure I believe this. But I may be wrong. Can you provide any solid evidence of this? If so, it would be an interesting read.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards

The reason we have bad gas with whey is inflammation to the intestinal system by being very hard to digest. I recommend a blend of proteins even though one particular type such as pea or hemp is better than a whey.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Not sure I believe this. But I may be wrong. Can you provide any solid evidence of this? If so, it would be an interesting read.
I don't have time to link anything right now bud but look up whey inflammation online. There is plenty of evidence.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I personally am a big fan of PES Select when you can get it for about $10/pound or so. ON Gold Standard has always been reliable too. APS Isomorph, Scivation Whey, and ANS' Whey are all quality IMO.
Have to agree here with PES Select & Scivation Whey
Animal Whey, Cellucor Whey, Man Sports, Purus Labs, Finaflex are all good choices to consider.

JP10

JP10

Awards
Most of the whey proteins are similar when it comes to nutritional value, I just find the best cost per serving. Or look for deals like buy one get one free. I think Cellucor is bogo right now for a 5lb tub.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
This is what I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27086768

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27043616

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26982344

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26864356

Pretty much states that whey, in studies, does not increase markers of inflammation and may actually decrease it. There's also a bunch of evidence that whey is cardioprotective, etc.
Once I'm off work I'll dig up what I find from medical forums. It's impossible for it not to be or opposite to inflammation due to it being built off of lactate/lactose. That alone isn't made for human consumption along with casein linking to feeding cancer cells which is another misconception by the money vacuums of the supplement world.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Once I'm off work I'll dig up what I find from medical forums. It's impossible for it not to be or opposite to inflammation due to it being built off of lactate/lactose. That alone isn't made for human consumption along with casein linking to feeding cancer cells which is another misconception by the money vacuums of the supplement world.
Thanks man, I like reading this stuff....nothing is ever clear cut, hard to tell what is true and not.

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
Can't go wrong with a lot of them out there today. PES Select, new Purus Myofeed with PB2, Gaspari Myofusion, Cellucor, etc..

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Thanks man, I like reading this stuff....nothing is ever clear cut, hard to tell what is true and not.
Exactly my man! It's a money filled world especially with the supplement industry throwing all these things at us telling us what's better and what not. I just love medical research and truly find out what's best. Whey protein, I was never allergic to but it makes my face inflamed and dry and gas bad! It's how I got into my research mode and found out all this crazy shiiiii!! Anything made with lactate or lactose bind causes discomfort to the body no matter how it's made and what it is. Not made for the body to consume.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Myprotein for cheap protein, I got 100 servings of chocolate whey for $25 during a sale, they have sales often.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
But we produce lactase bro. If we wernt meant to digest lactose, we wouldn't produce lactase.

the china study has also be thoroughly debunked. Another false argument by the vegan community.

Take the evidence as a part of a whole, don't just accept the vegan side because you're vegan

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Exactly my man! It's a money filled world especially with the supplement industry throwing all these things at us telling us what's better and what not. I just love medical research and truly find out what's best. Whey protein, I was never allergic to but it makes my face inflamed and dry and gas bad! It's how I got into my research mode and found out all this crazy shiiiii!! Anything made with lactate or lactose bind causes discomfort to the body no matter how it's made and what it is. Not made for the body to consume.
Where's the evidence to support your claim?

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
But we produce lactase bro. If we wernt meant to digest lactose, we wouldn't produce lactase.

the china study has also be thoroughly debunked. Another false argument by the vegan community
Some of us have small amounts of lactase in our intestines but we still can't truly digest of dairy/lactose. Hence why most humans are lactose intolerant. It's to hard on the body.

I don't even know what the China study is lmao.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Some of us have small amounts of lactase in our intestines but we still can't truly digest of dairy/lactose. Hence why most humans are lactose intolerant. It's to hard on the body.

I don't even know what the China study is lmao.
It's the one where they found a correlation between casein and cancer.

We can digest it and we do. Some peoole cannot, that's true. It down regulates over time in some cases, but not all.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I've laid off of this stuff as before I just ate more food. Now I'm older, life's real and I have no time, I'm looking to get some powder for a fast grab at food.

Costco has the ON gold for like 60 for 6# I believe. Back in the day Vitamin Shoppe, their Whey Tec wasn't bad. But again I don't know What's what.

I get hungry late at night so this would be used pre bed too at times.

Any help here fellas.

using brown rice protein and pea protein - believe 45-50 grams of brown rice protein will give the same amount of leucine found in whey.

and this doesn't mean you have to be completely vegan either

jarrows, NOW or nutribiotic brown rice or your brand of choice and pea -

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
It's the one where they found a correlation between casein and cancer.

We can digest it and we do. Some peoole cannot, that's true. It down regulates over time in some cases, but not all.
Granite everyone's body is different and lactose will affect anyone differently faster or slower but it still causes problems with inflammation to body no matter who you are. Humans have been drinking milk for a decent period of time but evolution will never let us be able to digest it without some sort of degree of inflammation. Hence why I say majority of humans are lactose intolerant again. There is nothing benefit to drinking another animals milk lol. No point in even trying to really taking it besides it being a protein source which you can easily get from other types of proteins.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
using brown rice protein and pea protein - believe 45-50 grams of brown rice protein will give the same amount of leucine found in whey.

and this doesn't mean you have to be completely vegan either

jarrows, NOW or nutribiotic brown rice or your brand of choice and pea -
Exactly. Anything out of the lactose family will be better and even cheaper in the long run.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Granite everyone's body is different and lactose will affect anyone differently faster or slower but it still causes problems with inflammation to body no matter who you are. Humans have been drinking milk for a decent period of time but evolution will never let us be able to digest it without some sort of degree of inflammation. Hence why I say majority of humans are lactose intolerant again. There is nothing benefit to drinking another animals milk lol. No point in even trying to really taking it besides it being a protein source which you can easily get from other types of proteins.
How can this be when the large majority of data does not support your position? Where are you drawing your information from?

The IS was significantly positive for the entire data set, indicating an anti-inflammatory activity in humans. When the subjects were stratified according to their health status, the IS was strongly indicative of an anti-inflammatory activity in subjects with metabolic disorders and of a pro-inflammatory activity in subjects allergic to bovine milk.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26287637

Dairy product consumption does not exert adverse effects on biomarkers of inflammation in overweight or obese adults
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/4/706.full

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Also to say there is no reason to consume Dairy..

pressure. This updated, 1-year review (2009–2010) reports on vitamin D, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, bioactive small peptides, low-fat dairy products, and low-fat dairy dietary patterns and provides further evidence that dairy intake may improve BP and decrease HTN risk. The unique dairy micronutrient composition together with low sodium, high protein, and bioactive lactotripeptides may offer combined protective effects.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12170-011-0181-5

And further: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/38/3/457.short and again: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199704173361601#t=article

Dairy on bone health:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07315724.2009.10719808
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002203029477291X
http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Abstract/2000/03000/Risk_of_Inadequate_Bone_Mineralization_in_Diseases.18.aspx

Seems like an awful lot of no good

compan

compan

Awards
FWIW I get bloodwork bi-monthly while having IBD and take whey daily. My inflammatory markers are completely normal so any reaction at least on my end doesn't really register significantly.

As far as brands, I stick to iForce, Gaspari, Cellucor and Blue Star.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
"High cow’s milk intake is associated with increased risk for bone fractures as well as death, according to a recent study in the British Medical Journal. Among women, those who consumed three or more glasses of milk per day had a 60 percent increased risk for developing a hip fracture and a 16 percent increased risk for developing any bone fracture."

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC468678/

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v112/n1/full/bjc2014544a.html

I can post much more. You are right. Milk is not good ;)

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The protein's I usually rotate between are:

iForce Protean
Blue Star Whey Smooth
Gaspari Myofusion
APS Isomorph

Consumed whey protein for over 4 years now daily and never had any inflammatory markers red flagged on my semi-annual blood labs.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Nurta Innovations has a new protein out with 3 (whey, casein and egg) blends and to help with digestion, they have added Rikkunsh1to which helps prevent against discomfort and digestion

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Nurta Innovations has a new protein out with 3 (whey, casein and egg) blends and to help with digestion, they have added Rikkunsh1to which helps prevent against discomfort and digestion
Bro that doesn't sound so good. Casein is directly linked to cancer man and why causes inflammation.

"Casein, which makes up 87% of cow’s milk protein, promoted all stages of the cancer process,” says Dr. T. Colin Campbell."

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
"High cow’s milk intake is associated with increased risk for bone fractures as well as death, according to a recent study in the British Medical Journal. Among women, those who consumed three or more glasses of milk per day had a 60 percent increased risk for developing a hip fracture and a 16 percent increased risk for developing any bone fracture."

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC468678/

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v112/n1/full/bjc2014544a.html

I can post much more. You are right. Milk is not good ;)
Bro, did you even read the studies you cited?

The first one is a Gazette article

The second isn't discussing dairy - seriously, why did you even post that one? lol

The third offered evidence counter to what you are proposing: In this large cohort study, people with lactose intolerance, characterised by low consumption of milk and other dairy products, had decreased risks of lung, breast, and ovarian cancers

Edit; had a dig around for key words in the second one and well, again, In the pooled analysis of large cohort studies (7379 cases) [93], no association was seen with consumption of red meat, white meat, or dairy products

So 2/3 state evidence counter to your claim (you cited research that opposes your own view) and 1 isn't a study at all.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bro that doesn't sound so good. Casein is directly linked to cancer man and why causes inflammation.

"Casein, which makes up 87% of cow’s milk protein, promoted all stages of the cancer process,” says Dr. T. Colin Campbell."
Show us the evidence man LOL.

head_against_wall.jpg

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Exactly. Anything out of the lactose family will be better and even cheaper in the long run.
What about human breast milk? That has lactose in it.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I rotate between about 2 to 3 proteins

Right now my big goto is APS Isomorph, because it is one of the purer whey isolates that I have found lately.

Can't beat the taste it, it's so smooth

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I can actually believe this MAY be true. But it doesn't say it causes cancer. It just states that casein is good for building tissue. And if you have cancer, having a substrate on hand from which to build from may advance it.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Bro, did you even read the studies you cited?

The first one is a Gazette article

The second isn't discussing dairy - seriously, why did you even post that one? lol

The third offered evidence counter to what you are proposing: In this large cohort study, people with lactose intolerance, characterised by low consumption of milk and other dairy products, had decreased risks of lung, breast, and ovarian cancers
I clicked the wrong abstract for the second, it was linked to my dairy and cancer site. The third isn't counter of my opinion. Low consumption of diary products had decreased etc. This isn't linked to a higher consumption of dairy or dairy itself being the indicator of the positive feed back fro the consumption of milk.

http://nutritionstudies.org/12-frightening-facts-milk/

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
I can actually believe this MAY be true. But it doesn't say it causes cancer. It just states that casein is good for building tissue. And if you have cancer, having a substrate on hand from which to build from may advance it.
From what I have learned in advanced biology class in school is that everyone has cancer cells already within the body and essentially diet turns "on" those cancer cells. Those cancer cells are created due to improper building of the cells in the body that is correlated with diet as well. As you can see diet is key to our longevity. Casein helps those cancer cells grow and reproduce.

I can find some links on this if you'd like.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, you are assuming that all inflammation is bad, which certainly isn't the case. Inflammation is a response, and in moderation, can lead to positive outcomes.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards

are you referring to the book the China study? if so, its been challenged numerous times man,

Unfortunately for both health seekers and the scientific community Campbell appears to exclude relevant information when it indicts plant foods as causative of disease, or when it shows potential benefits for animal products .This presents readers with a strongly misleading interpretation of the original China Study data, as well as slanted perspective of nutritional research, include what Campbell conducted himself.

Campbell also uses his own curriculum as a reason his word should be trusted above that of his critics.

like where you are going but not with Campbell, sorry

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I clicked the wrong abstract for the second, it was linked to my dairy and cancer site. The third isn't counter of my opinion. Low consumption of diary products had decreased etc. This isn't linked to a higher consumption of dairy or dairy itself being the indicator of the positive feed back fro the consumption of milk.

http://nutritionstudies.org/12-frightening-facts-milk/
The problem wit that site is that it has an inherent bias - i'll show you the problem with trying to establish causation with correlation

piratesarecool4.gif

Exhibit A

One study cited states this:

In 1940 Meeker and Kesten showed that animal protein (casein) was more atherogenic that plant protein (soy). Carroll and his co-workers showed that most proteins of animal origin were more cholesterolemic for rabbits than were proteins of vegetable origin, although there was some overlap. Cholesterol turnover is slower and fecal excretion of cholesterol is reduced in rabbits fed casein as opposed to those fed soy protein. The mechanisms underlying this effect are moot.

Problem is, the link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol has been, well, debunked. It's not as simple as you may think and you can search my post history for discussion on cholesterol and atherogenesis.

Another issue with what you have cited is that they claim cancer is started by specific proteins - if this were true, the wider body of data would also show this. Alas, it does not (you obviously did not read the links I posted). Proteins will propagate cancer, as anything that promotes healthy cell expression will also promote dysfunctional and mutated cell expression. It's a fact of life. That's not to say it will cause cancer, but any protein has the capability of spreading it.

The conclusion of another study cited in that article:

Conclusions High milk intake was associated with higher mortality in one cohort of women and in another cohort of men, and with higher fracture incidence in women. Given the observational study designs with the inherent possibility of residual confounding and reverse causation phenomena, a cautious interpretation of the results is recommended.

If this is an article you wrote, I highly encourage non-selective sourcing of evidence. View the evidence as a whole, because, well, you have been debunked.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Also, you are assuming that all inflammation is bad, which certainly isn't the case. Inflammation is a response, and in moderation, can lead to positive outcomes.
I don't think anything with the body trying to fight bad radicals in the body can be good my man. I don't think it works like our immune system with sicknesses and become more immune to a particular virus.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I don't think anything with the body trying to fight bad radicals in the body can be good my man. I don't think it works like our immune system with sicknesses and become more immune to a particular virus.
Inflammation is an important process though. I think you need more understanding of biological processes before spreading "X gives you cancer and is bad".

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The problem wit that site is that it has an inherent bias - i'll show you the problem with trying to find correlation

View attachment 137833

Dude, you needed a study to prove this? Everyone knows, it's only logical, that Pirates perform to be outside with their shirts off, in the warm weather, while at sea. Obviously, it stands to reason that the warmer it is, the more pirates will be out and about.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I smell vegan propaganda ITT. I can't quit now because I hate how they misuse studies to try further their cause.

I'm fighting for all of mankind man

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just to keep this in perspective, we all do this. It's part of the, "If I do this one thing, everything will be better" mentality.

Since I've lost weight, I've noticed it all the time. People notice I've lost a bunch of weight and say, "What did you do?" and I'm like, "Um, I stopped eating like a pig."

If you just take this fish oil, your life will be perfect.

If you just drink bullet proof coffee, your life will be grand.

If you just stop eating gluten, you will have no more problems.

If you just avoid meat you won't have a heart attack.

We just love to pinpoint all of our problems to one specific cause and never to a group of causes.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Dude, you needed a study to prove this? Everyone knows, it's only logical, that Pirates perform to be outside with their shirts off, in the warm weather, while at sea. Obviously, it stands to reason that the warmer it is, the more pirates will be out and about.
lmao pirates

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
All in all, if you don't like Dairy, don't use it. But once you claim it serves no purpose or is cancer causing, expect someone to call you out on your claims.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
From what I have learned in advanced biology class in school is that everyone has cancer cells already within the body and essentially diet turns "on" those cancer cells. Those cancer cells are created due to improper building of the cells in the body that is correlated with diet as well. As you can see diet is key to our longevity. Casein helps those cancer cells grow and reproduce.

I can find some links on this if you'd like.
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1468265833.373180.jpg

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey man, from my experience in school and dealing with the docs, I just stand by what I say. No need to bash anyone though. Doesn't make anyone any better than the other. Everyone learns at their own pace but degrading someone isn't good for your soul :)
Well after waking up and reading the hilariously wrong information you were waffling, i got intense urge to eat waffles for breakfast, thanks for ruining my diet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 7