Haha i really should, they clearly know something i dont

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The whole trainer world in general pisses me off. Where are the standards?....oh inguess you just have to cough up $$ for that certificate. I've been trying to find a trainer for 2 years in my area. Some know an aspect or 2 pretty well but none around here can put it all together. Finally found a guy who seemed to be very intelligent. Knew much more than me about training....kinda knew diet crap. And then aas comes up and he tells me he basically runs tren, mast, and a couple orals EVERY cycle . Now I put his cycles together for him lol.

Thankful for AM...i know a lot of you guys are in the training world and you are where i get a majority of my knowledge anymore.
This is a big reason why I’m leaving the job I have now because I work with complete idiots who had money and got the cert but just throw exercises at people without thinking about them. Never even talked about steroids with my clients because NONE of them would understand. I mean **** my boss runs steroids and he looks like a boated pillsbury dough boy

I’ve worked my ass off and got certified at 18, and I still get lumped in with stupid people and stupid trainers. People just don’t know anything and they jump in with a random trainer and it doesn’t work because they don’t know what to do for said client so the client leaves and never trains again because it didn’t help the first time.

All these damn fad diets and ****.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chocolateclen - are you saying it's hard to set yourself apart from these morons because people want results on day 1? That's crazy - I see people training 3X a week with crappy trainers and getting no results. Maybe they are good at stroking an ego?

Dont get me started about fad diets...that's my new #1 that pisses me off. Now all the restaurants are jumping on board with the...paleo this, and whole 30 that...blah

We should come up with our own ridiculous diet and market that. It looks super easy!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Chocolateclen - are you saying it's hard to set yourself apart from these morons because people want results on day 1? That's crazy - I see people training 3X a week with crappy trainers and getting no results. Maybe they are good at stroking an ego?

Dont get me started about fad diets...that's my new #1 that pisses me off. Now all the restaurants are jumping on board with the...paleo this, and whole 30 that...blah

We should come up with our own ridiculous diet and market that. It looks super easy!
It’s hard to set yourself apart because once people try a trainer, they either stick with them or they don’t. If the trainer sucks and they don’t get results then the chances of another trainer getting them as a client are really slim because it’s left a really bad impression. I can’t give my clients results, but I can give them programs that help them get stronger and I can tell them how to lose weight etc. I got one of my female clients squatting 135 for reps then she fell off the face of the earth and wondered why she couldn’t do 95 for 2 reps when she came back 4 months later..... fuckin stoopid

Shitty trainers that keep clients are really damn good at making people feel good, even if they aren’t actually feeling better. I’m not gonna tell you you’re doing amazing and I’m proud of you if your ass can’t bench 95lbs for 3 reps when you did 2 reps of it 4 months ago. But some trainers do that and clients like that **** sometimes.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s hard to set yourself apart because once people try a trainer, they either stick with them or they don’t. If the trainer sucks and they don’t get results then the chances of another trainer getting them as a client are really slim because it’s left a really bad impression. I can’t give my clients results, but I can give them programs that help them get stronger and I can tell them how to lose weight etc. I got one of my female clients squatting 135 for reps then she fell off the face of the earth and wondered why she couldn’t do 95 for 2 reps when she came back 4 months later..... fuckin stoopid

Shitty trainers that keep clients are really damn good at making people feel good, even if they aren’t actually feeling better. I’m not gonna tell you you’re doing amazing and I’m proud of you if your ass can’t bench 95lbs for 3 reps when you did 2 reps of it 4 months ago. But some trainers do that and clients like that **** sometimes.
Most people don’t train with a personal trainer because they want to improve their bench or squat (some do, but nowadays people who want that can find a specialized coach), people who hire trainers in most gyms say they want something but that’s not what they really want.

Most don’t need some complicated training program.

Most people hiring trainers aren’t the typical people on AM or people with athletic aspirations (or bodybuilding-goals).

Most people just want to move around a bit better, lose a little weight, and improve self image.

You have to help them find the proper goals and the right motivations for what they really want.

If you want to be a macho hard ass that’s fine, but most people don’t want that and that’s probably a lousy way to go for the vast majority of people and their goals. If that’s what you want to train you’ll have to find the right people and environment for it, but it’s not going to be at most gyms.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe to keep in line with this thread what makes me angry is how much lack of empathy people have? Or maybe forcing their conceived notions of what people should want based on their own goals on them?

I’ll also end this boring wall of text (if anyone is reading) to say I’m only saying this because I hope you can (or others in similar situations) can learn and adapt so you can be successful. I’ve seen too many frustrated and burnt out trainers in quite this same situation.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Most people don’t train with a personal trainer because they want to improve their bench or squat (some do, but nowadays people who want that can find a specialized coach), people who hire trainers in most gyms say they want something but that’s not what they really want.

Most don’t need some complicated training program.

Most people hiring trainers aren’t the typical people on AM or people with athletic aspirations (or bodybuilding-goals).

Most people just want to move around a bit better, lose a little weight, and improve self image.

You have to help them find the proper goals and the right motivations for what they really want.

If you want to be a macho hard ass that’s fine, but most people don’t want that and that’s probably a lousy way to go for the vast majority of people and their goals. If that’s what you want to train you’ll have to find the right people and environment for it, but it’s not going to be at most gyms.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe to keep in line with this thread what makes me angry is how much lack of empathy people have? Or maybe forcing their conceived notions of what people should want based on their own goals on them?

I’ll also end this boring wall of text (if anyone is reading) to say I’m only saying this because I hope you can (or others in similar situations) can learn and adapt so you can be successful. I’ve seen too many frustrated and burnt out trainers in quite this same situation.
All fair points but if someone isn’t progressing with a trainer then what’s the point? That’s what I’m saying. I’m not burnt out I just went off and started my own business so I didn’t have to be lumped in with the shitty trainers. My job as a trainer isn’t to be your best friend, granted I’m supposed to be friendly and help you and build trust but if you’re eating like crap and now losing weight and that was your goal then my job is to tell you that you’re eating like crap and help you fix it.

To full circle this and bring this convo back to the thread, people with unreal expectations that won’t modify them when you lay out what can happen naturally or reasonably for that matter. That pisses me off lol

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
All fair points but if someone isn’t progressing with a trainer then what’s the point? That’s what I’m saying. I’m not burnt out I just went off and started my own business so I didn’t have to be lumped in with the shitty trainers. My job as a trainer isn’t to be your best friend, granted I’m supposed to be friendly and help you and build trust but if you’re eating like crap and now losing weight and that was your goal then my job is to tell you that you’re eating like crap and help you fix it.

To full circle this and bring this convo back to the thread, people with unreal expectations that won’t modify them when you lay out what can happen naturally or reasonably for that matter. That pisses me off lol
Ok because you literally just sound like all the trainers I've worked with who did end up flaming out because of their unreasonable expectations.

I won't derail this too much, but training is more psychological than physiological for most average gym goers. Modifying behavior is what we are after and finding ways to modify that behavior into habits that are a solid foundation that lasts is the ultimate goal. There will always be people who don't follow or get results, this is true even with the absolute best coaches and trainers. With the proper approach you can get higher client acceptance and compliance.

I could go on though, but I don't think all that is being said is unfounded, I more so, again, was speaking up mostly as I hope that you can find the right direction and success. So regardless of what we may disagree upon I hope you keep grinding and just keep helping people and I hope your new business the best of luck.