What keeps you motivated?

Jgood53

Awards
I was doing really good with my training getting strong losing some much needed to be lost weight. I ended up getting put on 4 rounds of antibiotics and due to the heat of the summer (and the gym not having AC) i missed a lot of time in the gym because simply it would make me sick. Ever since then I have had a hard time finding the motivation to get back in like I was (5-6 days a week) I have finally gotten to where I am going back 4 days a week. Some days though I just don't feel motivated. Much of it could just be the lack of a partner. It gets boring lifting alone all the time.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's about building a consistency again.

I prepare the night before like I'm going on an adventure.

Supplies etc.
I mentally commit then. Getting enough sleep is also important. I wake up at 3:00a to prep so getting to sleep early for me is easy. I'm beat! I love doing this. It's a gift to myself. Some people invest in climbing mountains or travel. I am investing on my own internal adventure. Destination. Fit Life.

Hope this helps.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is consistency for sure- that is why it is so hard for people to get back into a routine after a long time off. But just lifting to lift can get boring, so you need to set goals. Also, what do you do outside of the gym activity wise? I like lifting, but it is really the means an end quite often because I am usually training for something outside of the gym. Whether it is rugby, kickboxing, a local strongman, general 42 yo health, etc.. there is a goal. I do a lot of big mountain snowboarding, so now I am training for that.

Point is, you need to have consistency and keep it fresh.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Progress... plain and simple.

seeing what I can do with my body both strength and aesthetically is what keeps me going. I'm never satisfied so its easy to keep pushing.

That said, small goals are the key. Set a weekly or monthly goal (go to the gym 4 days for a month, then 5 the next, etc). Hit a PR every few weeks. Something like that will give you a REASON to be there and something to drive the "boring" out of it.

Jgood53

Awards
Consistency is probably all it is. I don't have any real activities other than the gym. After coming home from work I try to hit the gym on the days I plan on going and play some video games to just try and relax on the days I don't. I don't have a lot of friends where I live to go hang out and do anything so my wife and I just chill when she is off. My goals have always just been to get stronger but without a partner it is really really hard to push that extra step. I mean how can you attempt to bench 300lbs for 3 reps when you typically only get 2 and nobody is there to help you (gym is usually dead so just asking someone to spot isn't always reliable).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Consistency is probably all it is. I don't have any real activities other than the gym. After coming home from work I try to hit the gym on the days I plan on going and play some video games to just try and relax on the days I don't. I don't have a lot of friends where I live to go hang out and do anything so my wife and I just chill when she is off. My goals have always just been to get stronger but without a partner it is really really hard to push that extra step. I mean how can you attempt to bench 300lbs for 3 reps when you typically only get 2 and nobody is there to help you (gym is usually dead so just asking someone to spot isn't always reliable).
just ask someone else for a spot if you need it... every bro knows theres a day when they need a random spotter. THere's almost always at least 1 guy anywhere.

I always lift alone, and live a similar lifestyle to you (I also travel for a living and have 0 friends/family in the town where I now live vs. my og home). eat. sleep. lift. work. thats it for me and I love it, but I'm simple ha

Jgood53

Awards
Are gym is often legit empty when I am there. 75% shot of being the only one there but I get what you mean.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
In addition to consistency-which is huge-accountability is even more important.
I hear a lot of excuses-"antibiotics" or "empty gym". Those are explanations (excuses remove one from culpability). Start with owning your progress or lack thereof and get after it.
Sorry to sound like a jerk and I don't mind being called one, but you sound like many of the kids I coach. Only those that truly own their effort and success enjoy the latter

Jgood53

Awards
I agree with what your saying. An empty gym isn't an excuse to not lift it is just a reason to not be benching 95% of my max for multiples. Honestly though being on antibiotics that cause you to get sick the moment the heat hits you isn't really a poor excuse in my book. I believe if you are on the verge of throwing up just from walking from your car into the gym that is legitimate excuse especially when your gym doesn't have AC and it is 98-102 degrees outside. MRSA coupled with antibiotics was not pleasant.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
One thing you can do if there's no one else around tho is just dump the weights. Squats, bench, whatever. If it's too heavy just dump it. No shame there but I guarantee you'll push A LOT harder trying not to when you know that's your only option. Death or dump ha

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everything everyone here has said is great. I find that setting goals and starting a log also helps keep motivated.

My problem is that I get set back from small injuries often (herniated disc that doesn't need surgery yet), and then I find it hard to start back up again because I have to take a couple steps back and start slow, and noone likes doing this. I think I'm going to start up a rehab/training log myself really soon, to help me get on top of my PT/rehab which I tend to slack on.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Consistency as most people have stated. Aside from that, I believe setting and achieving short/med/long term goals will help guide your training and give you a sense of direction and purpose. Another thing that helps is determining whether or not you are OCD and narcissistic. Most of us who have a few years of training experience probably have these tendencies or have developed these tendencies.

Tracking your progress and writing things down also helps to keep you accountable to yourself and in a way it instills a sense of self competition. If you have a constant picture of how you are doing, most likely you will want to find a way to continually improve in some way depending on your goals. Most people want to be a better version of themselves.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Changing routines often keeps me motivated.

MikeG5

MikeG5

Awards
Thinking about the long term goal. Visualizing my goal physique, seeing great progress, a great workout with a great pump where I'm looking awesome is always a great feeling and keeps me going, sticking with my diet. I feel my best when I'm eating very good, nice strict diet, consistent, cheats here and there when I go out to eat with family and friends. progress is a big motivator.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Knowing that my wife is 7yrs younger then me and that most men die 7yrs before thier wives, im trying to bet those odds and stay strong and healthy.....plus lifting helps to look better naked

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Breaking into my 30's is usually enough to keep me motivated. You're fighting a body that has peaked and is on a slow but certain downward spiral. No excuse will ever change that fact nor is it good enough not to give 100% on any given day. Make no mistake about it some days you just don't feel like training but just do it and leave nothing in the tank and you'll feel great at the end of each workout. Always like to remind myself I'm no better than the next guy who gives his all at the gym. Just a another lump of meat and don't deserve the luxury of taking the easy road. During a workout, heavy squats or whatever it be. If it gets tough imagine yourself as a spectator watching on. Think about what a ***** that guy complaining on the bench press must be or groaning during a set of heavy squats in the power rack. How would you perceive a maximum effort and if you were judging a maximal effort what would it look like. Visualize yourself doing the same and nothing less.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Knowing my 59 year old dad is the first male in my family(his side) to even SEE 50, and not wanting to start the trend over again. On top of that, knowing that statistically speaking, the majority of line of duty deaths among firefighters in this country is caused by cardiac arrest, and the fact that I want to do everything in my power to NOT fall into that category!