What is your secret weapon for fatloss? (besides diet)

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What is something you do that really kick starts your fat loss once your diet is in order? is it simple long cardio sessions? HIIT training? do you add in little cardio bursts between sets? start your mornings with fasted cardio?

I am not much of a cardio man so I like to do my sets then I might do 50 skips/25kb swings or cable wood chops or something like that. I also like to train bodyweight abs every day or 2, generally 15 crunches, 15 leg raise, 15 v situps x 3-4

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Start with 15 minutes of post workout LISS, 2-3x a week via Incline treadmill and go from there. When you stall, add 10 minutes to the sessions or an extra day.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I hate to say this but.... You want tips besides diet and follow up by saying your not into cardio.

So basically what I'm seeing is, how do I burn fat without diet or cardio. The answer to that is DNP, but, something slot of ppl don't realize is that the ppl who have poor cardiovascular health and are not following the right type of diet are the ones who get all the horrible side effects from DNP.

I'm absolutely not suggesting DNP and I don't personally use it.

Ok, enough of that lol

My real suggestions are to eat less and move more, that's how I Kickstart fat loss. If you don't wanna do traditional cardio then try taking a 10min walk after meals. When you go to the grocery store or wherever, park in the farthest spot away from the store and walk. Find untraditional cardio that's fun. Buy a punching bag, play basketball, go hiking or swimming. Walk your dog more often.

Another trick I play on myself is doing light cardio before my workout. Say it's arm day, well your not allowed to train arms untill you do a 15 min incline treadmill walk. When you wait till the end of the workout it's way easier to skip it

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you hate cardio find reasons to walk. The mall, a park or just park at the end of a parking lot to get it in where you can. No one likes cardio. I watch movies to keep the mind busy.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If you hate cardio find reasons to walk. The mall, a park or just park at the end of a parking lot to get it in where you can. No one likes cardio. I watch movies to keep the mind busy.
I just told my girl she should start going to the mall to do her cardio instead of the gym on the treadmill, the malls where I live have kind of died and they're just like these giant open areas lol. I'd much rather walk around there for an hour than walk on a treadmill staring at a TV. You can do some window shopping in the process

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I also don't really consider walking cardio, but it's still a valuable tool. Get your steps in people, every step counts.

ndiguy

ndiguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Get your steps in people, every step counts.
I'm starting to truly understand this, now that I'm working a desk job. Makes a HUGE difference in regard to the amount of calories I should (or shouldn't) be taking in through the day. Wasn't much of an issue at previous jobs where I could move around at my leisure.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm starting to truly understand this, now that I'm working a desk job. Makes a HUGE difference in regard to the amount of calories I should (or shouldn't) be taking in through the day. Wasn't much of an issue at previous jobs where I could move around at my leisure.
I went from working on my feet 60-70 hours s week to about 20 hours for the past month or 2 and it's lowered my maintenance calories by 500+

All through loss of daily steps

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I will say this though, even tho it's making weight loss harder, it doesn't necessarily make fat loss harder. I seem to be recomping at a fairly high rate in comparison to what normally would happen. The only thing that sucks is I'm going to have to dramatically increase my step count somehow or dramatically decrease my food in order to make a weight class

RiseAbove

RiseAbove

Awards
  • First Up Vote
For me outside of Diet (which is a big help) I do morning cardio about 30 min after my fat burner, (usually alpha lean7). Many times I do it fasted, but sometimes I have a shake (try not to though). For cardio I usually do spin bike, running or rowing and go for 30-45 min, depending on how much energy I have. I do this on off days where I dont lift. Also since it is boring AF, I listen to audio books, watch youtube videos etc.. it helps.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I hate to say this but.... You want tips besides diet and follow up by saying your not into cardio.

So basically what I'm seeing is, how do I burn fat without diet or cardio. The answer to that is DNP, but, something slot of ppl don't realize is that the ppl who have poor cardiovascular health and are not following the right type of diet are the ones who get all the horrible side effects from DNP.

I'm absolutely not suggesting DNP and I don't personally use it.

Ok, enough of that lol

My real suggestions are to eat less and move more, that's how I Kickstart fat loss. If you don't wanna do traditional cardio then try taking a 10min walk after meals. When you go to the grocery store or wherever, park in the farthest spot away from the store and walk. Find untraditional cardio that's fun. Buy a punching bag, play basketball, go hiking or swimming. Walk your dog more often.

Another trick I play on myself is doing light cardio before my workout. Say it's arm day, well your not allowed to train arms untill you do a 15 min incline treadmill walk. When you wait till the end of the workout it's way easier to skip it
Sorry man thats not what I meant by I am not much of a cardio man. What I meant was I do not enjoy doing it so I like to mix things up and keep it interesting, so I was asking what other things people do so I can mix it up.

On the diet thing I will cover properly too, I know to eat less I will by in a deficit for sure, haven't planned exact numbers as of yet but I 100% WILL be dieting, that's what I meant by "diet in order"

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sorry man thats not what I meant by I am not much of a cardio man. What I meant was I do not enjoy doing it so I like to mix things up and keep it interesting, so I was asking what other things people do so I can mix it up.

On the diet thing I will cover properly too, I know to eat less I will by in a deficit for sure, haven't planned exact numbers as of yet but I 100% WILL be dieting, that's what I meant by "diet in order"
I was partially joking, I suggest all the stuff at the bottom of my post, I also hate traditional cardio

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was partially joking, I suggest all the stuff at the bottom of my post, I also hate traditional cardio
Yeah good suggestions, I do struggle with motivation to do cardio and find I just skip it because I am tired, I do have a boxing bag at home so maybe when I get home from the gym I will try go straight to the bag and atleast do 10 minutes before I go back inside... got to get myself into the routine. I also used to do 4 sets of 25 KB swings after my workouts and found that was quite good for fatloss, might have to start doing that again.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Here's a cardio circuit I do at my boxing gym. Obviously you're not going to have access to the same equipment but I'm sure you can put together something similar.

I use a rowing machine, bike, jump rope and a pair or 10lb dumbbells.

I set a timer for 2 minutes with a 30 second rest period in between rounds

Row.
Bike.
Lateral raises and throwing punches with the dumbbells.
Jump rope.
Repeat.

It takes about 20 min.

Then when I'm done I do a couple rounds on the heavy bag

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like sprints, pushing the weighed sled along with low intensity cardiovascular work

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I set a timer for 2 minutes with a 30 second rest period in between rounds

Row.
Bike.
Lateral raises and throwing punches with the dumbbells.
Jump rope.
Repeat.
That sounds like a good little workout to get the heart rate going. I need to start integrating more of this into my routine. Or at least two days a week do some type of circuit like this.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That sounds like a good little workout to get the heart rate going. I need to start integrating more of this into my routine. Or at least two days a week do some type of circuit like this.
What I like about it most is it only feels like your doing cardio for 2 minutes at a time.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I like sprints, pushing the weighed sled along with low intensity cardiovascular work
I've also got a sled and a big ass tire that I've been wanting to use more but I feel like a asshole dragging them out at the gym when there's more then a few ppl around because of how much space you need to take up to use them

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've also got a sled and a big ass tire that I've been wanting to use more but I feel like a asshole dragging them out at the gym when there's more then a few ppl around because of how much space you need to take up to use them
I feel you. The gym I belong to has an area dedicated just for items like those.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah I figured, most places do have a designated area but at my gym we have to kind of drag them out and then it takes up however much space it takes to flip a tire for 20 yards or whatever it may be

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
does anyone use blood glucose levels to evaluate fat loss? besides for keto crap. couldn't you in theory be unable to lose any fat if your glucose is too high? because your body won't start gluconeogenesis

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
does anyone use blood glucose levels to evaluate fat loss? besides for keto crap. couldn't you in theory be unable to lose any fat if your glucose is too high? because your body won't start gluconeogenesis
No that is a myth especially if you're a long term keto dieter like me where you have "physiological insulin resistance" where your waking blood sugar is over a 120 yet you can drop fat with ease..... so blood sugar really has no relevance because you could have blood sugar spikes all day long and not eating anything for 3 or 4 days and lose plenty of weight... spikes coming from stress or other reasons.

Spikes or high BG in general and caloric deficit = fat loss.

Also, gluconeogenesis happens all the time.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No that is a myth especially if you're a long term keto dieter like me where you have "physiological insulin resistance" where your waking blood sugar is over a 120 yet you can drop fat with ease..... so blood sugar really has no relevance because you could have blood sugar spikes all day long and not eating anything for 3 or 4 days and lose plenty of weight... spikes coming from stress or other reasons.

shouldn't a keto Dieter be insulin sensitive, not resistant?

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
shouldn't a keto Dieter be insulin sensitive, not resistant?
Yes and no.

Physiological Insulin Resistance is a benign state that is not making your diabetic insulin resistance worse. A ketogenic dieter becomes adapted to sparing glucose for use by those cells which absolutely require it. Some brain cells, red blood cells and testes require glucose because they do not have mitochondria. Fasting blood glucose will often rise above 100 mg/dl.

With Physiological Insulin Resistance you will have a low HbA1c value, your liver and kidneys will be very sensitive to the effect of insulin, even though muscle tissue isn’t, you will almost never suffer hypoglycemic events. It takes a few days of eating carbs to return to the normal state for healthy people.

This is why the term is “physiological” and NOT “pathological”. It is not a disease state, it is a healthy response to carbohydrate restriction.

Is physiological insulin resistance such a bad thing? No, it means your body is healthy and functioning properly. If you have physiological insulin resistance, you are not at risk to become diabetic, in fact it is the opposite.

physiological insulin resistance....very low-carb diets will produce elevated fasting blood glucose levels. Why?

Because low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase.

Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel.

And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin.”

This is a good thing.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

you go days without eating?

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, everyone hates Cardio until they finally get good at it...... That's the way it works. My secret to fat loss isn't much of a secret.... Calories eaten Vs. Calories burned. I suppose back in the day taking high mg of test always helped too.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What I like about it most is it only feels like your doing cardio for 2 minutes at a time.
Wait.. are we talking about bedroom cardio or gym cardio? ;) jk

Yea I need to start up the circuit routines cause walking on the treadmill or biking for 20+ minutes isn't fun.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
For awhile I was running after my workouts but that got old so I stopped.

I play hockey year round and play soccer once a week in the summer months. I've always preferred team sports for cardio as they take my mind off of how tired I'm feeling. I imagine there are a lot of people who could benefit from finding a team sport that forces them to stay active to participate, in order to meet their cardio goals/needs.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For awhile I was running after my workouts but that got old so I stopped.

I play hockey year round and play soccer once a week in the summer months. I've always preferred team sports for cardio as they take my mind off of how tired I'm feeling. I imagine there are a lot of people who could benefit from finding a team sport that forces them to stay active to participate, in order to meet their cardio goals/needs.
I used to play basketball and was quite fit then, but I snapped my ankle and never really felt confident playing again, even with braces. A shame because when I was in my prime bball years I never stopped, up and down, up and down and I actually had decent cardio... now I walk to the fridge and im out of breathe haha

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, everyone hates Cardio until they finally get good at it...... That's the way it works.
there is SOOO much truth in this...when i ran my 7k last year and was around other avid runners it was almost like going to a religious convention how committed and dedicated runners are to running.

if i go several days without getting in a run i miss it--after awhile running becomes a passion-much like the gym!!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
there is SOOO much truth in this...when i ran my 7k last year and was around other avid runners it was almost like going to a religious convention how committed and dedicated runners are to running.

if i go several days without getting in a run i miss it--after awhile running becomes a passion-much like the gym!!!
One of my old friends use to talk about runners high. Once you get to a certain point and build up the endurance it's an addicting when you go on a run.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I need to figure out how to burn more calories. Recovering from acl surgery, traditional cardio isn't an option for probably another month or more.
I'm also dealing with a torn rotator cuff.
I plan on going to the gym on Monday to see what I can do upper body wise with the shoulder injury. Obviously, not going to work through pain. Just need to get back in there and work around it and burn some calories and get some definition back.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you have not tried it I encourage you to try some crossfitesque sessions every week. I have never been to a box or actually done an official WOD for various reasons mainly because I simply cannot do most of the movements they program. I would basically do something like this:

Eliptical/treadmill all out for 1min immediately go to
KB or DB swing all out 1 min immediately go to
DB squat thrusts 1 min then
Up downs(burpees for all the non football players lol) 1min
1 min rest
Repeat 4 cycles record the reps and next week try to beat that Call this workout A

B
Push ups x 20(whatever number you want) then
BW squats x 20 then
Sit-ups x 20 then
Spin Bike hill climb 30 seconds(swap a sprint up and then down your block or a hill at the park as there is zero equipment)
Back to pushups

Do this for 15mins count the number of complete cycles you get then beat it OR shoot for 5 cycles and beat your time.

I find these kill you if you push it and tailor the reps/weights to fit you and swap stuff like bulgarian split squats for BW squats or if you have equipment swap bench press for pushups limitless options.

For the record I NEVER do the movements faster than I would safely in a regular workout. Pushups are NOT bouncing NOTHING is ballistic. Falling to the ground afterward spent is normal and then I feel GREAT the rest of the day. Beats the hell out of pedaling for an hour.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've seen Seth Feroce do the crossfit workouts. They're definitely no joke.
At 50 years old, it's no longer about packing on mass.. Like Seth says, fit & fukcable! Lol

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was thinking of doing small Tabata circuits to start with, 3-4 times a week something like 45/15 at the end of my work outs.
Skipping
KB Swing
Mountain Climbers
V-Situps

Then maybe go for a jog once a week and build from there

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
find a hill and sprint. This will cut your “cardio” time in half and works twice as good.
a good runner incorporates sprints and hills into their runs...of course i know several distance runners whose running pace is faster than a lot of peoples sprint, lol. :)

Noncompetitive

Awards
  • First Up Vote
It's funny that you say that. My gym has a room with a full movie theater screen that plays a movie constantly. I cannot even tell you how much easier that makes a treadmill walk or a bike ride. 30 minutes will pass so much more quickly.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's funny that you say that. My gym has a room with a full movie theater screen that plays a movie constantly. I cannot even tell you how much easier that makes a treadmill walk or a bike ride. 30 minutes will pass so much more quickly.
i have a gym quality treadmill in my basement but i find running indoors pretty boring so when weather is too awful for outdoor running i will put porn in dvd to help pass the time... :giggle:

JKVol

JKVol

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i have a gym quality treadmill in my basement but i find running indoors pretty boring so when weather is too awful for outdoor running i will put porn in dvd to help pass the time... :giggle:
I cannot run indoors. It feels like 5 minutes takes 30.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
brb watching porn at my public gym to help me run haha
actually with cell phones i wouldn't be surprised if it happens much more than you think--there was a lot of crazy stuff happening in gyms over 20 years ago when i started building my home gym in my basement, now i very rarely ever go to public gym....actually i rarely use my treadmill, only on days when weather is really horrible outside--much prefer to do my running outdoors.

good luck (y):)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
actually i rarely use my treadmill, only on days when weather is really horrible outside--much prefer to do my running outdoors.
Same. When running outdoors it takes my mind off of the actual cardio versus when on the treadmill i'm just starring at the timer :LOL:

JKVol

JKVol

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Same. When running outdoors it takes my mind off of the actual cardio versus when on the treadmill i'm just starring at the timer :LOL:
Outside running is very therapeutic for me mentally. Not that I have mental issues but there’s no doubt for me that after running, I have this sense of well-being I only get from very strenuous, high tempo exercise. My only issue is I have to get PT done on my calves before I can run. I’ve been to several Dr, had ultrasound vein dopplers look at my lower body 3 times and they cannot figure out what my issue is. After years and years of PT and years of self research, my only conclusion is I have a very rare sports induced compartment syndrome. This article I’m linking lays out exactly what I go through and this started in 2004. PT does myo release but the ticket is dry needling. I know there’s a lot more things in life to throw a fit over and I’ve very grateful for everything I have but it pisses me off that I drew this card when there’s people everywhere who don’t give a crap about their health. I shouldn’t complain but the last 8 months of my life has been rough. Almost lost my wife to a brain tumor and we just found out she now has a mass on her breast that needs to be removed but thank the Lord it’s benign. Here’s the link called “Calf Heart Attack”

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Outside running is very therapeutic for me mentally. Not that I have mental issues but there’s no doubt for me that after running, I have this sense of well-being I only get from very strenuous, high tempo exercise. My only issue is I have to get PT done on my calves before I can run. I’ve been to several Dr, had ultrasound vein dopplers look at my lower body 3 times and they cannot figure out what my issue is. After years and years of PT and years of self research, my only conclusion is I have a very rare sports induced compartment syndrome. This article I’m linking lays out exactly what I go through and this started in 2004. PT does myo release but the ticket is dry needling. I know there’s a lot more things in life to throw a fit over and I’ve very grateful for everything I have but it pisses me off that I drew this card when there’s people everywhere who don’t give a crap about their health. I shouldn’t complain but the last 8 months of my life has been rough. Almost lost my wife to a brain tumor and we just found out she now has a mass on her breast that needs to be removed but thank the Lord it’s benign. Here’s the link called “Calf Heart Attack”

prayers for your wife 🙏