What is the best workouts for pure strength?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone,

I have always had trouble building strength, even if I try hard, eat big, etc. I seem to gain the bulk okay (both muscle mass and fat). But, pound for pound, my strength has always been modest.

Suppose I wanted to concentrate solely on whole body strength. I can save the core strength, muscle mass building, cardio conditioning, and fat loss for later.

What is the best exercise program?

(I think StrongLifts.com 5 x 5 is great; and, I am surprised people do not plateau after a couple of weeks. But, I welcome other areas, such as stability ball workouts, medicine ball workouts, all those carrying sandbag workouts, tire throwing, etc.).

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Used to do west side and liked it a lot.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Strength for what? Do you want maximal squat bench and deadlift 1-rep maxes? Do you want to be as strong as possible lifting and carrying odd heavy things in daily life? The first answer would point you in a powerlifting direction, while I have found strongman training has a much greater correspondence to the real world.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Strength for what? Do you want maximal squat bench and deadlift 1-rep maxes? Do you want to be as strong as possible lifting and carrying odd heavy things in daily life? The first answer would point you in a powerlifting direction, while I have found strongman training has a much greater correspondence to the real world.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hello Everyone,

I have always had trouble building strength, even if I try hard, eat big, etc. I seem to gain the bulk okay (both muscle mass and fat). But, pound for pound, my strength has always been modest.

Suppose I wanted to concentrate solely on whole body strength. I can save the core strength, muscle mass building, cardio conditioning, and fat loss for later.

What is the best exercise program?

(I think StrongLifts.com 5 x 5 is great; and, I am surprised people do not plateau after a couple of weeks. But, I welcome other areas, such as stability ball workouts, medicine ball workouts, all those carrying sandbag workouts, tire throwing, etc.).
I have been running 5x5 for years, plateu'd many times, but just keep plugging away with programmed progressive overload and refining technique and plates are always eventually broken.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I like 5/3/1, I have used it constant for the last 6-8 months and am both stronger and bigger, especially my chest that I been struggling with.