What is the best technique for a dumb bell bent over row? if there is one.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rarely do them and would like to incorporate in the workout.
using bench: Hand on bench, elbow on bench,
Not using bench: take a staggered position- one foot slightly in front of other and pull on side where foot is behind the other. Pull DB from almost off the ground.
Others using the upper or lower rack of a two level DB rack as the start position.

There may be other variations.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The best technique and variation is the one that provides the best mind-muscle connection, stimulation, and full range of motion to train the muscle from a fully stretched position.
Just like anything training and nutrition-related, there is no one-size-fits-all.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I saw a Meadow's video on these very informative.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The best technique and variation is the one that provides the best mind-muscle connection, stimulation, and full range of motion to train the muscle from a fully stretched position.
Just like anything training and nutrition-related, there is no one-size-fits-all.
I would add to this that the best for any individual is also potentially one they haven’t been doing (assuming it be done in line with your comment). The variation you’ve not used for a long time will likely provide the greater stimulus.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think that will depend on the individual and why you choose to do them (as mentioned above).

I usually keep a couple things in mind:

1) Regardless of what way they are supported the angle you pull with the elbow may alter your mind muscle connection and have a slight variation in the activation of muscles used (for example sweeping elbow more by the side may help with the lats and a more elbow out variation may help more with upper back, again as a generality).

2) Depending on the training cycle I'll often "progress" the movement in weight and variation from a less stable (like maybe a three point row where feet are even and one hand is slightly in front to make the movement a bit more core conscious) to a more stable variation that allows more weight to be done over time (so maybe ending with hand and knee on a bench to even maybe a staggered only hand supported position with some slight body english).

So I wouldn't say there is a best, but there can be a ton of ways to get it done.

Dr Nick

Dr Nick

Awards
  • Established
I second that there are many ways to do this and what gives me the best connection might not be the best for you but I will share what is my favorite; I have done this in several variantions over the years but for me, I get the best connection if I use both arms and two dumbbells at the same time being reversed on an incline bench.
Doing one arm at the time gives me such uneven pull no matter how I support myself.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Be mindful of what your scapular movement looks like. Learning to be aware of what they were doing during rows helped me a lot with working what I wanted to work when it came to my back.