What Inspires YOU

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
What inspires you to get in shape? What REALLY motivates you to go to the gym, to thrive off of sweat, muscle soreness, and pumps?

What keeps the thought of "this is boring and painful, why am i doing this?" out of your mind and keeps you pushing foreward?

zzzzzz.jpg

"A person will get well, when he is tired of being sick"

- Lao Tzu

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I was motivated to get big after watching American Me and realizing I'd be screwed (didn't like the fate of Santana and the son of the Italian mafia boss) if I end up in prison j/k :D

I started training because I was playing football. My competitive nature and abundance of free time led me to this lifestyle.

Last edited:
mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
getting stronger and helping others get stronger and progress.

jared767

Awards
What inspires you to get in shape? What REALLY motivates you to go to the gym, to thrive off of sweat, muscle soreness, and pumps?

What keeps the thought of "this is boring and painful, why am i doing this?" out of your mind and keeps you pushing foreward?
I like to feel good about myself. When I begin to think negatively about the whole thing, I take a day or two off from the gym and jog around the neighborhood...

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I started training because I was playing football. My competitive nature and abundance of free time led me to this lifestyle.
Part of my reason also.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
1. Look & Feel Better
2. To keep kicking ass in the Men's Softball League I play in. I can't let all the old guys beat me.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I go to the gym because there was once a time in my life where I was overweight. I got tired of being the fat kid. I got tired of being made fun of for the way I looked. I was the nicest person on the inside and out, but because of how I looked I was ridiculed/abused/harassed/etc. It just got to the point where I formed this tough outer shell and became an a$$hole (10 years of being harassed will do that to you). That outer shell resulted in me wanting to show everyone what I was really made of. I just got sick and tired of it. So I lost all the weight and got in shape. I've been lifting ever since. (now i just need to drop the outer shell....)

My motivation is never becoming that way ever again. Never becoming so out of shape that people find it acceptable to make fun of me and harass me. I also want to be healthy and have a family some day. I want to be around for that family. I also want to be able to be an example to other that are interested in living a healthy lifestyle and aren't or don't know how.

megamutent8

Awards
I love the challenge, originally it was to not be a fat slob, but over time I just find the challenge of setting new Prs thrilling, and I love the feeling of people asking you questions and being able to help them

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I go to the gym because there was once a time in my life where I was overweight. I got tired of being the fat kid. I got tired of being made fun of for the way I looked. I was the nicest person on the inside and out, but because of how I looked I was ridiculed/abused/harassed/etc. It just got to the point where I formed this tough outer shell and became an a$$hole (10 years of being harassed will do that to you). That outer shell resulted in me wanting to show everyone what I was really made of. I just got sick and tired of it. So I lost all the weight and got in shape. I've been lifting ever since. (now i just need to drop the outer shell....)

My motivation is never becoming that way ever again. Never becoming so out of shape that people find it acceptable to make fun of me and harass me. I also want to be healthy and have a family some day. I want to be around for that family. I also want to be able to be an example to other that are interested in living a healthy lifestyle and aren't or don't know how.
Sweet bro, and i know the feeling about being harrased, in which will make you an ******* over time, for me, lifting is an outlet, when im lifting, it's like im in my own world, in this world my main goal to create this perfectly sculpted body, nothing else matters. I LUV ittt.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Sweet bro, and i know the feeling about being harrased, in which will make you an ******* over time, for me, lifting is an outlet, when im lifting, it's like im in my own world, in this world my main goal to create this perfectly sculpted body, nothing else matters. I LUV ittt.
Yeah man I hear that. I won't ever have a perfectly sculpted body....but I will never stop the pursuit of that goal. The mountain is there. I'm gonna try to climb it. I won't be disappointed if I don't ever reach the top because I've given it all I got.

Glad to hear someone that understands where I'm coming from. My Ex always complained about how my outer appearance didn't match my inward appearance. She just never understood (no matter how many times I explained) why I was so hardened on the outside (but so soft on the inside).

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man I hear that. I won't ever have a perfectly sculpted body....but I will never stop the pursuit of that goal. The mountain is there. I'm gonna try to climb it. I won't be disappointed if I don't ever reach the top because I've given it all I got.

Glad to hear someone that understands where I'm coming from. My Ex always complained about how my outer appearance didn't match my inward appearance. She just never understood (no matter how many times I explained) why I was so hardened on the outside (but so soft on the inside).
Bro, if you knew who i was, if you realllllly knew me, you would be like "damn man, what happened to you?", because growing up, i was always a fun-loving, no care in the world person, i guess i was that dude that everybody knew and loved, but having several years where i was a junkie, felt like there was NOBODY in this world i could connect to, changed me. Going through that for years left me as a different person, but at the same time im glad i went through it, im glad i was an alcoholic and went through different addictions, because it made me ME, it made me who i am today, maybe thats why i have a hardened exterior sometimes, maybe THAT is the real reason i push myself so hard to become physically, and mentally fit. Because i know what could happen if i didn't, and i'd rather go on the path of living a healthy and enjoyable live vs. any other life.

shanetard

Awards
The changes I see to my body and my attitude towards things

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This guy inspires me. A personal friend of mine. Nick Scott, great story, great guy, great character.
[video=youtube;DTDdEIai-bM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTDdEIai-bM[/video]
[video=youtube;f_jz5CJnsng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jz5CJnsng[/video]

It doesn't get better than that! At all

zacharius

Awards
lifting helped me get off drugs and ever since then i never quit.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Who is that in the original picture? Peter What? Can't hardly read it with that font

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
trainwcristi

trainwcristi

Awards
My kids, I dot wanna be that mom
Whose 30 or 40 and can barely run around for an hour without needing a breath every15 minutes

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Wow I was the same way.
Went from a very big unhealthy 260 to a nice 185 over 10 years, Then now I am bulking for the first time up to 215. Looking still kinda lean. I dont want to get fat again so I was probably over dieted for a LONG time. Now though I know how to manipulate food to assure I wont get too out of hand ;)

Nice post DH!!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Seen others around me doing it, got tired of being the small that guy that every1 thought they could run over. Eating good and a cool new supplement gets me back in there sometimes when motivation is low.

I just don't want to quit, I don't want to give up!

Biggest problem I'm having know is finding the friendship balance. Like working out is taking over my life, I dnt ride motorcycle or hang out much, it's going to change very soon...

Nickmort

Nickmort

Awards
Initially got into it for football. Then after college i pretty much stopped. After having my two kids i blew up to about 220(im only5feet 8) and started being called fat by the very people i used to consider fat(hows that for irony). Thats when i said **** it and started to hit the gym hard. Got down to 155 but lost too much strength and had a crappy diet. Now equipped with more knowledge,this forum, lean gains and all the right supplements I will never go back to being that"fat"guy ever again!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Seen others around me doing it, got tired of being the small that guy that every1 thought they could run over. Eating good and a cool new supplement gets me back in there sometimes when motivation is low.

I just don't want to quit, I don't want to give up!

Biggest problem I'm having know is finding the friendship balance. Like working out is taking over my life, I dnt ride motorcycle or hang out much, it's going to change very soon...
Means your growing up bro. Letting the things that benefit your well being take precedence over hanging out. I went through that feeling at about your age as well. Wait till you meet the right women an possibly pop out a kid or two. Time slips away faster and faster and opportunities for going out and hanging with friends becomes fewer and fewer.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Means your growing up bro. Letting the things that benefit your well being take precedence over hanging out. I went through that feeling at about your age as well. Wait till you meet the right women an possibly pop out a kid or two. Time slips away faster and faster and opportunities for going out and hanging with friends becomes fewer and fewer.
Very respectable comment... Reps (soon) haha

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Very respectable comment... Reps (soon) haha
Thanx bro, it's the truth. Kinda hits you towards your mid 30s how short life is when you chattin bout old stories with pals and you realize it was 10+ years ago and it felt like yesterday. I think that's how guys have the mid life crisis crap cus time flies by do fast all of sudden your 40 and you still feel twenty something or at least you wanna and feel the need to jump a hold of the last few youthful years you got before its downhill. A pretty depressing statement I know but all the more reason to keep up health and fitness and make it habit now at a young age so the aging process doesn't seem so brutal..... Shît, I kinda jus bummed myself out :-/

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
For me its thinking about my time overseas and having great friends die in combat. Seeing the person die that you were just shooting the **** with a couple hours ago or screaming in agony because their leg got blown off really hits home and gave me a whole new outlook on life and its value. I love life and I'm greatful for every moment of it. Looking back on it, its very surreal.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
For me its thinking about my time overseas and having great friends die in combat. Seeing the person die that you were just shooting the **** with a couple hours ago or screaming in agony because their leg got blown off really hits home and gave me a whole new outlook on life and its value. I love life and I'm greatful for every moment of it. Looking back on it, its very surreal.
Thank you for your service and welcome home brother!

Milspec

Milspec

Awards
I had an unhealthy childhood. The first mile I ever ran was in Marine Corps boot camp eleven years ago. I didn't get "serious" about lifting until my deployment on '05. I'm now OCD about exercise because I don't ever want to go back to my childhood.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I had an unhealthy childhood. The first mile I ever ran was in Marine Corps boot camp eleven years ago. I didn't get "serious" about lifting until my deployment on '05. I'm now OCD about exercise because I don't ever want to go back to my childhood.
Thank you for your service as well! Welcome home! :)

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
look better..feel better.. and i love the feeling of when you start noticing gains. I also love when people come up to me after they havent seen me in a whle and say damn bro you got WAY bigger! or damn bro..you on roids?!?! lol. also if someone decides to **** with me on the wrong day of the week..well ya.. you get the point..

oh and i also always think to myself that im only going to get out of it what i put into it

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
look better..feel better.. and i love the feeling of when you start noticing gains. I also love when people come up to me after they havent seen me in a whle and say damn bro you got WAY bigger! or damn bro..you on roids?!?! lol. also if someone decides to **** with me on the wrong day of the week..well ya.. you get the point
for me it's any day of the week at any point and time...

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Wow I was the same way.
Went from a very big unhealthy 260 to a nice 185 over 10 years, Then now I am bulking for the first time up to 215. Looking still kinda lean. I dont want to get fat again so I was probably over dieted for a LONG time. Now though I know how to manipulate food to assure I wont get too out of hand ;)

Nice post DH!!
Thanks man I appreciate it; means a lot

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
ya ginge same here.. i was 6'3 like 170 lb so i was skinny as **** and also the gym is like my therapist lol well my stress reliever. i can go and get all..or MOST of my anger out without taking it out on a person or breaking something haha

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
What inspires me with anything is success stories and people's failures. I don't want to have excuses like so many people or be something that took work to get there and watch it all fade away like so many others. I am an individual, I will define myself; I'll write my own praises and no one can tell me what or who i can or cannot be. ~inspiration

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
ya ginge same here.. i was 6'3 like 170 lb so i was skinny as **** and also the gym is like my therapist lol well my stress reliever. i can go and get all..or MOST of my anger out without taking it out on a person or breaking something haha
Yeah man I was 66kgs 2years ago now Im 85.5 kgs and Im 6 ft. And I total agree the gym help out with life problems I use to hate every one and every thing. But now I can use my problems as fuel for the fire so I can push as hard as I can in the gym. So feel the same as u mate keep it up ;-)

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man I was 66kgs 2years ago now Im 85.5 kgs and Im 6 ft. And I total agree the gym help out with life problems I use to hate every one and every thing. But now I can use my problems as fuel for the fire so I can push as hard as I can in the gym. So feel the same as u mate keep it up ;-)

Oh yea, do heavy ass weight on the bench to relieve some stress, then get up and hit the heavy bag with a couple haymakers and badabing badaboop built up stress and tension gone.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I use to love going to the gym.
Lately I put on a bit of bad weight and my motivation has tanked. I use to be excited about working out, hearing the music them going to hang out....
Guess I'm going to have to re focus and do cardio too now haha

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
bitches591.jpg

Lil inspiration

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
Oh yea, do heavy ass weight on the bench to relieve some stress, then get up and hit the heavy bag with a couple haymakers and badabing badaboop built up stress and tension gone.
Yeah man nothing like it. Its a total escape from every thing

SupremeMMA

Awards
Great post, so true.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just hit 40 in Jan. talk about a wake up call!! I've always stayed in decent shape, but I find I push myself harder every year. Like someone posted, life's short, & it seems like its going faster every year. I have a 2 & 4 year old that I'm going to have to keep up w/ for at least another 20 years!

Yesterday was an easy day.

Plus, who wants to go to the beach & not be proud of themselves when the shirt comes off?? Sure, it might be vain, but we live in a vain society...

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I lift to be a fitness model one day soon so for my career

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
who wants to go to the beach & not be proud of themselves when the shirt comes off?? Sure, it might be vain, but we live in a vain society...

Right right.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
bitches1018.jpg

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I want to look good & feel good & the women I'm with to feel god about being around me.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
bitches1315.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pro Bodybuilding 6
dsade Evomuse 3