What causes hair loss?

smithj

Awards
Is Anxiety and stress are common causes of hair loss ?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is taken directly from the MayoClinic website.

“People typically lose about 100 hairs a day. This usually doesn't cause noticeable thinning of scalp hair because new hair is growing in at the same time. Hair loss occurs when this cycle of hair growth and shedding is disrupted or when the hair follicle is destroyed and replaced with scar tissue.

Hair loss is typically related to one or more of the following factors:

Family history (heredity). The most common cause of hair loss is a hereditary condition called male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. It usually occurs gradually with aging and in predictable patterns — a receding hairline and bald spots in men and thinning hair in women.
Hormonal changes and medical conditions. A variety of conditions can cause permanent or temporary hair loss, including hormonal changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause and thyroid problems. Medical conditions include alopecia areata (al-o-PEE-she-uh ar-e-A-tuh), which causes patchy hair loss, scalp infections such as ringworm and a hair-pulling disorder called trichotillomania (trik-o-til-o-MAY-nee-uh).
Medications and supplements. Hair loss can be a side effect of certain drugs, such as those used for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, gout and high blood pressure.
Radiation therapy to the head. The hair may not grow back the same as it was before.
A very stressful event. Many people experience a general thinning of hair several months after a physical or emotional shock. This type of hair loss is temporary.
Certain hairstyles and treatments. Excessive hairstyling or hairstyles that pull your hair tight, such as pigtails or cornrows, can cause a type of hair loss called traction alopecia. Hot oil hair treatments and permanents can cause inflammation of hair follicles that leads to hair loss. If scarring occurs, hair loss could be permanent.”

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Marriage and teenagers
Fixed:) haha but a lot of things go into factor for hair loss. Mostly genetic related I would say.

CornbreadBath

CornbreadBath

Awards
Stress almost never causes hair loss. 99% of hair loss is just plain old male pattern baldness. Especially if it lasts for more than a very short period of time.

I shed hair every winter. But it sheds for like 2 weeks. A modest shed for a few weeks is not reason to be concerned. But if it's still shedding 2+ months later, it's probably time to go on propecia.

This assumes you're a natural. If you're on AAS, it's a different thing entirely. You can control hair loss on testosterone with dutasteride. But there's really nothing to totally prevent hair loss from Winstrol/Tren/Masteron/Proviron/DBol.

Topical Azelaic Acid, Rosemary Oil, RU58841, Darolutamide, and Equol Racemic have all been shown to reduce the amount of hair lost on those. But nothing prevents the loss entirely.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Im not insulting anyone on this forum when I say this but, we need some serious education across this entire board. If you are prone to male pattern baldness its because of a buildup of DiHydroTestosterone on the scalp. Excessive amounts of DHT smother hair follicles, killing them. I don't like propecia unless you have to. Minoxadil and Nizorol shampoo are the way to go. You can get 5% minox in the US. In India they sell several brands of 10% that are branded which you can order.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Im not insulting anyone on this forum when I say this but, we need some serious education across this entire board. If you are prone to male pattern baldness its because of a buildup of DiHydroTestosterone on the scalp. Excessive amounts of DHT smother hair follicles, killing them. I don't like propecia unless you have to. Minoxadil and Nizorol shampoo are the way to go. You can get 5% minox in the US. In India they sell several brands of 10% that are branded which you can order.
Yep it's from increased DHT levels

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think the majority of us know that, that's why so many sarcastic remarks were made in the begining

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I think the majority of us know that, that's why so many sarcastic remarks were made in the begining
There are always people who don't know. Every day I work in the medical field I have to explain things at very basic levels to many people who don't understand. Ita reached a point where I feel the need to always try to explain at a level where everyone can understand so as not to talk over anyone's head.

It comes with the job. Take advanced education and simplify it for the masses. One reason I rarely try to help people online is the snide remarks. Theres always someone or someones saying we all know this. Now a generalization has been made that something is common knowledge and everyone knows it. You may know this and other people you know many understand.

This does not mean everyone understands. Go out and start walking up to people and say something like, I need a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft performed. Youll get a lot of blank stares.

I do my best to help people. I help the ignorant, the niave, the weak. Someone has to advocate for these people. If not me, then who?

Dthcore

Dthcore

Awards
  • Established
What does monoxidil even do if it doesn’t focus on dht?

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
There are always people who don't know. Every day I work in the medical field I have to explain things at very basic levels to many people who don't understand. Ita reached a point where I feel the need to always try to explain at a level where everyone can understand so as not to talk over anyone's head.

It comes with the job. Take advanced education and simplify it for the masses. One reason I rarely try to help people online is the snide remarks. Theres always someone or someones saying we all know this. Now a generalization has been made that something is common knowledge and everyone knows it. You may know this and other people you know many understand.

This does not mean everyone understands. Go out and start walking up to people and say something like, I need a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft performed. Youll get a lot of blank stares.

I do my best to help people. I help the ignorant, the niave, the weak. Someone has to advocate for these people. If not me, then who?
You are awesome. This post is great.
We need more people like you on forums.
That way of talking in a generalized manner comes with life. When we are so consumed with health, vitamins, the body etc. And are very knowledgeable, you learn to talk in a general way.

Idk if I'm explaining it right

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
You are awesome. This post is great.
We need more people like you on forums.
That way of talking in a generalized manner comes with life. When we are so consumed with health, vitamins, the body etc. And are very knowledgeable, you learn to talk in a general way.

Idk if I'm explaining it right
I understand what you are saying. I feel people will be angry about something at work, what their kids did, what a spouse did or didn't do, and are looking for someone to lash out at. Its misdirected aggression but, they feel safe behind computer screens and keyboards.

Without sounding pretentious, I want to let people know my time is very valuable and my education came at more than just monetary cost. Im always happy to help people who are appreciative.

I started weightlifting at 16 and that was a long time back. I stand up for people not only online but face to face. Ive witnessed the strong intimidate the weak too many times over my lifetime. I have a particularly strong dislike for sleezy people. Youll find many of them in doctors offices and operating rooms. Pharmaceutical Sales reps and Orthopedic reps for companies like Medtronics and Stryker.

The supplement industry goes around largely unregulated. The snake oil salesmen have really come out of the woodwork to peddle whatever "proprietary blend" of crap they can get their hands on. This last ten years especially so.

Thank you for the compliment and if theres anything Im able to help someone with Im only a PM away.