What are the cons of reducing SHBG?

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So reducing SHBG elevates free testosterone which is good for building muscle. However I’ve heard that this reduces the amount that reaches your brain among other places.

What are the negative effects of reducing SHBG and what body parts end up receiving less testosterone as a result of reducing SHBG?

SatishOG

SatishOG

Awards
I’m not sure but Ton kat Ali does reduce it at a high enough dose maybe lgd but not if you want to be natty still

Leary942

Awards
According to this its possible low SHBG can be a very early warning sign that the liver is malfunctioning. Since they were talking about high-sugar diets and their relation to sex steroid metabolism, it's less clear how exogenous androgens' role in suppressing SHBG causes hepatic dysfunction. Nevertheless I find it quite compelling that one of the major long-term concerns with steroid use is liver health, and since nearly all androgens lower SHBG, this can't be coincidental in my opinion. I assume you're natty, so the best approach to support healthy SHBG levels is to avoid hyperinsulinemic diets [Ibid] and make sure your thyroid is in good shape [R]. Additionally milk thistle, caffeine, glycine, tudca, and eating more protein can all be protective to the liver.